Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Megathread XXI: "New, improved, and wayyyy too much info" Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I’ll take the chance at a RH top six center over another smurf winger every day of the week.
I mean, Michkov is as big as Smith. Sure, he's a winger, but he's looking like the Truth. we'll see at the end of this year how he does from KHL-> NHL but his D+1 and early preseason has absolutely confirmed he's on a path to super elite status. Smith, not quite yet.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I mean, Michkov is as big as Smith. Sure, he's a winger, but he's looking like the Truth. we'll see at the end of this year how he does from KHL-> NHL but his D+1 and early preseason has absolutely confirmed he's on a path to super elite status. Smith, not quite yet.
Michkov’s performance in the watered down KHL and meaningless preseason games is no more a confirmation of star trajectory than Smith's historic scoring numbers as a freshman in the NCAA, U-18s and USHL. Unless Michkov develops into a Kucherov/Pastrnak/Panarin level line-driving winger we'll be better off with a solid 2C which is a more valuable and harder position to fill.

Reactions: MackAttack71

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Michkov’s performance in the watered down KHL and meaningless preseason games is no more a confirmation of star trajectory than Smith's historic scoring numbers as a freshman in the NCAA, U-18s and USHL. Unless Michkov develops into a Kucherov/Pastrnak/Panarin level line-driving winger we'll be better off with a solid 2C which is a more valuable and harder position to fill.
We'll see!

KOS21

Feb 23, 2022
what are the chances Graf makes the team out of camp? if not, how has he looked so far?

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
what are the chances Graf makes the team out of camp? if not, how has he looked so far?
Consensus, I think, is that he looks a bit faster than last year and looks good. That said, it seems like he's most likely to break camp in the AHL. We have a logjam of bottom-6 folks and fringe skill 2nd liners. But he will see NHL time with injuries, almost surely. He's in a group with Cardwell, Gushchin of smallish, but high energy and skill, wingers who will get call-ups, but will probably not beat out Kostin/Grundstrom/Dellandrea/Kunin/Goodrow or even G.Smith for team spots, is my personal guess.

Reactions: vortexy

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think it's most likely he starts with the Cuda, maybe 30-70. He hasn't looked out of place at camp by any means, but he doesn't really have a single outstanding trait that sets him apart from the glut of bottom-6 forwards we have signed.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I think it's most likely he starts with the Cuda, maybe 30-70. He hasn't looked out of place at camp by any means, but he doesn't really have a single outstanding trait that sets him apart from the glut of bottom-6 forwards we have signed.
Jinx once again! ;) Twinsies

• Love
Reactions: Juxtaposer

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
The Michkov truthers keep denying it but I believe it 100%. It's confirmed publicly that he told Coyotes he didn't want to go there, and SJ fits a similar profile to the rumor he wanted to play in big hockey markets and not fringe market s like SJ. Clearly he liked PHI as it came out after the draft that he targeted them. Not sure what happened with MTL. Smith is at least somewhat understandable as a pick. Also Grier was super terse when asked about interviewing Michkov, "we talked to everybody we wanted to."

Had we drafted Michkov and not Smith, and he reported to us, we'd be in the market for a high end 2C this year and we'd be looking at Hagens, McQueen, Ryabkin, or Schaefer/Hensler. I think we'd probably be in a better place but I'm biased, I was hoping for Michkov at the draft at the time. Ah well. Hopeful Smith can develop into something powerful, but don't think he's at Michkov's level at the moment.
He 100% wanted a big market. I'm just surprised he said no to Montreal but it's possible they didn't want him.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
From the way Grier talked about Michkov leading up to the draft, I think it was obvious he wasn't interested in the Sharks.

I'd rather have Michkov than Smith but it is what it is.

Yeah, Grier is not afraid to draft Russians obviously, and I think it was pretty obvious that Michkov was the best pick at 4, so I’m going to assume they did their due diligence and likely heard/were told disqualifying things about Michkov/his interest to play here.

But it would’ve been cool to see Celebrini/Michkov.

Still, I’m a big fan of Smith and if he can reach his potential, he certainly plays a far more valuable position, to @Hodge’s point.

Reactions: coooldude

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
He 100% wanted a big market. I'm just surprised he said no to Montreal but it's possible they didn't want him.

I will remember this in 5 years when Michkov is marginally more impactful than Smith and I am arguing with someone on the main boards saying that Grier is an idiot for skipping him.

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021
From the way Grier talked about Michkov leading up to the draft, I think it was obvious he wasn't interested in the Sharks.

I'd rather have Michkov than Smith but it is what it is.

I'd rather have a Smith who is excited to be a Shark than a Michkov who is unhappy. Or put another way, a gruntled Smith is better than a disgruntled Michkov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad