Sharks name Ryan Warsofsky head coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Definitely a rough place to start, since this Sharks team is going to be terrible and he will probably be fired before they get good

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Definitely a rough place to start, since this Sharks team is going to be terrible and he will probably be fired before they get good

Let's say the first three seasons for Warsofsky go like this:

Year 1: Point total in the 60's (shouldn't be too difficult because 23-24 was an aberration due to injuries and dismantling the team)

Year 2: Point total in the 70's

Year 3: Point total in the 80's, flirting with a playoff spot, but ultimately doesn't get it.

That would be 3 years of year over year improvement. If that happens, he 100% gets an extension (Assuming his new HC contract is for 3 years), despite no playoffs in those years.

I firmly believe he's the next Jon Cooper (i.e., the next great NHL HC, not necessarily that his success will match Cooper's), and that he will end up the longest tenured Sharks head coach of all time, passing McLellan's 7 seasons.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Never understood why certain HF posters have to choose a camp between retreads and newbies.

Both type of hires have their use, depending on the situation.

in this case, it seems to make sense for the Sharks to promote internally.

Sep 18, 2009
Love this choice for San Jose. He's not just any young hire. Remember, he's from the Carolina/Brind'Amour/Wolves tree and has a Calder Cup to his name as an AHL head coach. You can't get much better of a candidate if your goal is to have a guy who will grow with your developing weenies.
Another AHL coach
what could go wrong

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Another AHL coach
what could go wrong
Sometimes you get Keefe or Eakins but sometimes you get Bednar or Cooper

We won't know what we have on our hands until the puck drops, but he's as good a choice as any for this freshly rebuilding team

There will be very low expectations in 2024-25, we'll just hope to see progress and improvement, so he's entering a relatively low stress environment in his first season

Reactions: GOilers88

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
Great hire by the Sharks, the guy's really good with developing players. He was an assistant coach and key piece to the Checkers' Calder Cup championship in 2019, and was having a good season as their head coach the next season before COVID ended it.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Looking at his coaching history, he has risen through the ranks pretty quickly.

View attachment 882180

Always like seeing guys who have grounded it out in the lower levels get a chance at a big league job. Riding the bus in the ECHL isn't exactly what people would call fun.

The old boys club comments have been killing me lately. Half or more of the leagues coaches are first time NHL coaches…

I get your point but for guys like Brind'Amour for example, they're part of the OBC by virtue of bing a former player.

Reactions: SI90

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Always like seeing guys who have grounded it out in the lower levels get a chance at a big league job. Riding the bus in the ECHL isn't exactly what people would call fun.

I get your point but for guys like Brind'Amour for example, they're part of the OBC by virtue of bing a former player.
There’s commitment to an agenda, and then there’s this. Automatically old boys club, diminished and dismissed because he’s a former player….

New school in his communication. Takes an old school style of play and modernizes it to the point other teams emulate it. Hired and re signed by the newest school management group in the game. Run now by poindexter himself. Friedman mentioned yesterday how the NHL started scrambling for analytics guys with little nhl experience and new ideas like Tulsky right when Francis hired him.

So the only coaches who can be considered not part of the obc are guys who never played to a high level? Presumably young too? Can you give us an example of your dream coach here?

I…..learn….something new every day around here.

Reactions: cptjeff

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
There’s commitment to an agenda, and then there’s this. Automatically old boys club, diminished and dismissed because he’s a former player….

New school in his communication. Takes an old school style of play and modernizes it to the point other teams emulate it. Hired and re signed by the newest school management group in the game. Run now by poindexter himself. Friedman mentioned yesterday how the NHL started scrambling for analytics guys with little nhl experience and new ideas like Tulsky right when Francis hired him.

So the only coaches who can be considered not part of the obc are guys who never played to a high level? Presumably young too? Can you give us an example of your dream coach here?

I…..learn….something new every day around here.

I mean, kind of to an extent. Look at a guy like Dubas. He rose fast in hockey circles but was also aided by the fact that his grandfather I believe had ties to the team (OHL Greyhounds) and was coach at one point. The OBC certainly helped him get his first job in hockey management.

Nobody is dismissing anyone here. Rod is a great coach. But being a former player certainly gives you a leg up when you want a career in coaching/management after you retire as a player. Connections matter and often it's not what you know its who you know.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Next sacrificial lamb for the mess which is the San Jose Sharks. Who knows, maybe he will prove to be a successful coach. Nothing against him, I would expect/hope San Jose’s management knows what he can and can’t do.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
You can't get much better of a candidate if your goal is to have a guy who will grow with your developing weenies.
If that is the goal. I think there's a danger of missing that goal completely if the Sharks are still treading water at the bottom of the standings 4-5 seasons from now. Then Warsofsky will definitely not be behind the Sharks bench when they are ready to compete again.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Next sacrificial lamb for the mess which is the San Jose Sharks. Who knows, maybe he will prove to be a successful coach. Nothing against him, I would expect/hope San Jose’s management knows what he can and can’t do.

You wonder if management knows what their own coach is like? Holy shit i'd hope so

Reactions: joestevens29

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
they know what he can do at the AHL level. Now, it's his chance to work with some of the kids he's worked with that were on the Barracudas over the next couple of seasons.
It's a tough job as despite missing the PO for the past 5 seasons since the 19/20 season, SJ wasn't exactly trying to rebuild in the first couple of them. So, it's still going to be quite a bit of losing in the next couple of seasons. Montreal was 29 points ahead of SJ and held the 5th worst record. So, even a dozen more wins would still be bottom 5 in the NHL.

Main challenge is to installing a system that the players believe in that can last through a couple more tough seasons. Can't allow the message to get stale.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Dude is Younger than Vlasic. Good for him.

Bold move when you’re on the verge of picking 1st overall and potential franchise player in Celebrini. Maybe they feel RW did a good job at developing guys at the AHL level and as an assistant coach. you want to make sure you give your young guys especially Celebrini and Smith the best opportunity they can to be great players.

The wrong coach for young guys like that, can really set them back or hinder their progression.
I still believe the stink of Dallas Eakins lingered on the Oilers players for a while so I agree with everything you said

Reactions: SI90

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I hope he's the most qualified person for that job and they aren't just hiring him because he's young.
As opposed to the constant recycling of ex NHL head coaches?

Probably good for a year or 3 but will ultimately be replaced since the sharks are in for quite a long rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad