Prospect Info: Sharks 2017 prospect/rookie camp July 2-7

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's still early but maybe Balcers ends up like Sadowy. Promising player that we want the Sharks to sign but they don't feel the same.

There were rumblings of behind-the-scenes issues with Sadowy, I thought. I haven't heard anything like that about Balcers.

And even besides that, Sadowy didn't score 40 goals in the WHL as a 19-year-old.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
Nah, I am always excited to watch the new draftees and young players. I know you're super down on our picks but I would be super excited to see Norris and Ferraro along with the two late picks.

From the live videos the Sharks posted Ferraro looked really solid and Gambrell had some slick moves/goal.

Just got back from game. Out of all the players Ferraro definitely surprised me the most. Great skater and was very good in all zones. I know he was an older draft pick and I wasn't too happy about the pick at the time, but now I'm very excited!

I also really liked Gambrell. He's one of older guys so probably expected to stand out, but came away pretty impressed.

Roy was hit and miss. Struggled defensively a bit, and seemed a step slow. But he was great at moving the puck and did a lot of other good things as well. Hopefully his quickness will improve as he further recovers from his injuries. If so, think he he still has good potential.

Another one that surprised me a bit was Brodzinksi. He looked terrible every time I saw him with the Barracuda. He still made some mistakes tonight, but in terms of his skating and confidence with the puck, it seemed night and day versus last season. Made a real great play to open up space for his shot and score his goal tonight.

The one goalie (Korenar I believe) stole the show for Teal was the main reason they won (I think White outshot them 2-1.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Out of the invites, I thought True, Rauter, Korenar, and Dhooghe stood out. Dmowski had his moments too.

Requin

Lurkedylurk
Jan 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Just got back from game. Out of all the players Ferraro definitely surprised me the most. Great skater and was very good in all zones. I know he was an older draft pick and I wasn't too happy about the pick at the time, but now I'm very excited!

I also really liked Gambrell. He's one of older guys so probably expected to stand out, but came away pretty impressed.

Roy was hit and miss. Struggled defensively a bit, and seemed a step slow. But he was great at moving the puck and did a lot of other good things as well. Hopefully his quickness will improve as he further recovers from his injuries. If so, think he he still has good potential.

Another one that surprised me a bit was Brodzinksi. He looked terrible every time I saw him with the Barracuda. He still made some mistakes tonight, but in terms of his skating and confidence with the puck, it seemed night and day versus last season. Made a real great play to open up space for his shot and score his goal tonight.

The one goalie (Korenar I believe) stole the show for Teal was the main reason they won (I think White outshot them 2-1.

Completely agreed on all counts, except maybe Gambrell who didn't stand out to me.

I also thought Letunov looked good and Cukste had some nice plays.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Gambrell is the truth. In 10 years he will be the feature on the trade rumors board every week. Every time I watch him I come away thinking he could be the next Pavs.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
There's not enough talking about True. I'm disappointed :sarcasm:

Gambrell is the truth. In 10 years he will be the feature on the trade rumors board every week. Every time I watch him I come away thinking he could be the next Pavs.

No he isn't. It's not in his name. Not like certain other Danish players at the camp.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Having only seen him a couple of times, I cautiously have a good feeling about Gambrell. Maybe not the next Pavelski, but a solid second liner is my hope.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
I think Gambrell wasn't flashy but he had some good moments.

Yeah, didn't really have any wow moments. But was quick, strong on the puck, battled well on the boards, made smart plays to exit zone, and was always around the puck every shift. Just seemed to do all the little that coaches would love. Basically the anti-Goldobin. :)

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Hmm just realized that Roy basically didn't have a chance to improve his conditioning for like two years. Wonder if there's major room for improvement

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Norris - is a solid all around player, skates well, good hockey sense, makes plays. His build looks very slight for a guy who tore up the combine.

Chmelevski - Very slick skill guy, skates well( which seems to be a theme with our recent draft picks on average with some exceptions).

Chekhovich - Seemed like a bit of a floater, don't know if it was only because of this being a scrimmage. Very opportunistic, poor skater compared to some of the other guys but with a hell of a shot. Kinda reminded me of Heatley.

Sandberg - Crafty, flashes of skill with good skating.

True - Liked him a lot. Hope we sign him. Needs to work on skating but seems further developed than most in a lot of areas.

Balcers - Why is he not signed??? Very impressed.

Gahagen - I liked what I saw. Very composed, positionally sound, with flashes of athletic ability( really nice diving poke check). Was beat by a great penalty shot that I don't blame him on.

Gambrell - Another standout. Seems further along than most.

Ferraro - Thought he was the best D on the ice. Good in all zones, bigger than I thought he would be, nice stick, excellent smooth skating with a big stride. Lots of potential.

Reedy - Good skater, hard on the puck, good stick, some nice moves in the corner.

Dhoogie - Great skills but man is he tiny! Doogie Howser looked like he belonged playing midget hockey but with pro level moves. If he somehow manages to grow a few inches he could be the next Gerbe. It's a real shame if he can't make it due to size, kid has loads of skill and heart.

Simek - I liked him a lot, probably my 2nd favorite D. Very polished professional game. Would not be surprised to see him get a game or two if we get into injury trouble.

Roy - Not surprising but his skating has taken a step back. Looked slower than I remember and rusty. He'll need time to find his game again, great passing though.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The thing I noticed most was that the game seemed less haphazzard than previous years I've been to. These guys are thrown together quickly and there's little time to gel, but this seemed more like a game between two regular teams. This would lead me to believe the overall talent on the ice has improved. Could be wrong I guess.

Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of broken plays and guys in a bunch just slapping sticks at the puck a few times. My buddy and I laughed that it looked like his pick up games at times, but overall I felt like a saw a lot more skill.

True surprised me. I thought he skated pretty well for his size.

Sign Balcers!

Last edited:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
My 2 cents....

Ferraro makes himself noticed. He rushes into the play and takes hits and keeps moving.

Norris has good skill and can move well in small spaces.

Gambrell will make it, he sees the ice so well and I could see that there were times when he had to find others who weren't involved.

Chmelevski has some drive, can skate well and that penalty shot was rather sick, he pulled that puck back from the goalie and burned him.

Roy looks a bit like his body won't respond to his thoughts. Good passing.

DeSimone is one I haven't seen before but this college kid has the chops. Head up and sees the ice well. Covers all the zones nicely.

Reedy is going to be a steal. Great in the corners and getting to the net.

True is big. Moves well for a big guy and uses his size well. Deserves a look.

Balcers is playing his way into a contract, moving well all over the ice. Good late round find.

Letunov may be another DW snipe. He's bigger than I thought.

Simek looks comfortable on the ice.

It's difficult to assess these guys. They have little structure and planning in these games but I did notice that guys are skating much better than in years past.

Labanc was supposed to sign autographs after but didn't show. He got royally creamed at center ice but I didn't see who hit him. He didn't look too well getting off the ice. Anyone know anything??

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Nem mentioned something about True needing to go through the draft again before we can sign him. Can anyone elaborate on that?

When we were talking about this the other day, it seemed like the letter of the law in the cab should require him to go back to the draft because you have to be a year older to no longer be draft eligible. However the presence of Cavan Fitzgerald in the org seems to indictate there's a way around this so you can sign guys earlier.

So I guess they can sign him now if they want. Maybe. Probably. I'm not positive.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
Yeah there was a big open ice hit at one point in the game but I missed seeing it.

Yeah, he got crushed. Labanc put his head down at last minute. Easily could have been a shoulder to head hit, but the defenseman did a good job of lowering as well to keep it shoulder to shoulder.

Labanc went to the bench immediately. But then did play a few more shifts in 3rd and OT.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
When we were talking about this the other day, it seemed like the letter of the law in the cab should require him to go back to the draft because you have to be a year older to no longer be draft eligible. However the presence of Cavan Fitzgerald in the org seems to indictate there's a way around this so you can sign guys earlier.

So I guess they can sign him now if they want. Maybe. Probably. I'm not positive.

I was wondering why they would even have players in the Development Camp that they could not sign? Outside of players we already own rights to that is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad