Prospect Info: Sharks 2017 prospect/rookie camp July 2-7

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Seriously, I would kill to see the scrimmage every year.

That's because you've never been to one. Seriously, if there are no top notch prospects (that I haven't seen before, ie Meier and Labanc), the scrimmage is extremely boring. Sharks scrimmages tend to have final scores of 2-1, and not because the defense was great.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
That's because you've never been to one. Seriously, if there are no top notch prospects (that I haven't seen before, ie Meier and Labanc), the scrimmage is extremely boring. Sharks scrimmages tend to have final scores of 2-1, and not because the defense was great.

By saying that you know that the scrimmage tonight will be 9-7.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If so, all you in attendance can thank me!

The other downside to attending the scrimmage is that makes everyone feel like experts on all the players.

As opposed to everyone feeling like experts because they watch a handful of games on a computer screen? or catch a couple of Cuda games in the season or take in a few WHL/OHL games or anything like that?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
As opposed to everyone feeling like experts because they watch a handful of games on a computer screen? or catch a couple of Cuda games in the season or take in a few WHL/OHL games or anything like that?

No, not as opposed to. The vast majority of us do not watch 10+ games of juniors per year (particularly since we have no prospects worth watching for). The prospect scrimmage is just as useless at judging prospects as a couple games in some other league.

Now, watching 30+ Cuda games is a completely different thing.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
prospect games are just another excuse to watch Sharks hockey so that's good enough for my dad and myself (whenever I can actually get back to the bay lol).

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
No, not as opposed to. The vast majority of us do not watch 10+ games of juniors per year (particularly since we have no prospects worth watching for). The prospect scrimmage is just as useless at judging prospects as a couple games in some other league.

Now, watching 30+ Cuda games is a completely different thing.

It's still information. 1 or 2 games of anything is relatively worthless, but all things contribute to the overall sample. Let someone watch the scrimmages and give scouting reports. It gets filed away and then can be compiled with everyone else's view to form a real consensus.

Besides that I don't think anyone's going to get too carried away browbeating others over opinions formed because of the prospect scrimmage, or the WJCs, or the 1-5 NCAA or CHL games they might catch on TV.

It's just kind of off-putting and arrogant to, apropos of nothing, take a potshot at the prospect scrimmage because it will "make people think they're experts" when the reality is that nobody on here, not you or me or even someone with Cuda season tickets, is anything close to an expert.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It's still information. 1 or 2 games of anything is relatively worthless, but all things contribute to the overall sample. Let someone watch the scrimmages and give scouting reports. It gets filed away and then can be compiled with everyone else's view to form a real consensus.

Besides that I don't think anyone's going to get too carried away browbeating others over opinions formed because of the prospect scrimmage, or the WJCs, or the 1-5 NCAA or CHL games they might catch on TV.

It's just kind of off-putting and arrogant to, apropos of nothing, take a potshot at the prospect scrimmage because it will "make people think they're experts" when the reality is that nobody on here, not you or me or even someone with Cuda season tickets, is anything close to an expert.

I was including myself, and I generally don't try to take potshots at myself, but interpret it however you like. I thought it was tongue-in-cheek.

A prospect scrimmage is good for stuff like "who's a good skater, what position does player X actually play, who looks bigger/smaller on the ice than they're listed", and that kind of stuff that you genuinely cannot get just by looking at stat sheets. I'm not debating that. But in years past there have been a couple genuine arguments over who is a better prospect where the combatants each used the prospect scrimmage as their primary evidence.

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
There's going to be another inter-team prospect game again, right? I think I remember something about us playing Anaheim and Calgary.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

Nah, I am always excited to watch the new draftees and young players. I know you're super down on our picks but I would be super excited to see Norris and Ferraro along with the two late picks.

From the live videos the Sharks posted Ferraro looked really solid and Gambrell had some slick moves/goal.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Nah, I am always excited to watch the new draftees and young players. I know you're super down on our picks but I would be super excited to see Norris and Ferraro along with the two late picks.

From the live videos the Sharks posted Ferraro looked really solid and Gambrell had some slick moves/goal.

Okay, perhaps I'm just taking the scrimmage's accessibility to me for granted.

Dhooghe's sure a fan favorite!

He's got a ton of talent. If only he weren't 5'3".

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
It's still early but maybe Balcers ends up like Sadowy. Promising player that we want the Sharks to sign but they don't feel the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad