Proposal: Severson to TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't mind a Kapanen + for Severson base, but I don't think the Devils are comfortable enough to make that deal right now.

Severson is starting to look like he's putting it all together this year. He looks so much more consistent and controlled this year in all situations. I'd rather hold onto him right now because if he continues on this path, he's got the ability to continue to develop into a legit first pairing defender.

But Bratt is just as valuable as Kapanen, if not more. He's got that ability to drive a line with the puck on his stick and his vision which not many players have and he's just 19/20. You just don't trade guys like that.

Overall though, the value on the deal is pretty even, but it makes no sense for the Devils. We lose the more dynamic pieces at both positions when we desperately need them. That's not a slight on Kapanen, but he's more of a north/south guy with speed whereas Bratt is east/west opening up the ice.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
Some hot takes from both sides here.

We’re hoping to keep Severson I’d imagine. The package really is intriguing, but it’d be tough to trade Bratt because we don’t know just how good he’ll become.

But I also understand why you aren’t willing to pay a premium for a defenseman who isn’t good in his own end and a forward who we value more than you do. Especially given the fact that team offence is the farthest of your concerns.

Value is interesting, but I don’t think we could work out a deal with these pieces.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I don't mind a Kapanen + for Severson base, but I don't think the Devils are comfortable enough to make that deal right now.

Severson is starting to look like he's putting it all together this year. He looks so much more consistent and controlled this year in all situations. I'd rather hold onto him right now because if he continues on this path, he's got the ability to continue to develop into a legit first pairing defender.

But Bratt is just as valuable as Kapanen, if not more. He's got that ability to drive a line with the puck on his stick and his vision which not many players have and he's just 19/20. You just don't trade guys like that.

Overall though, the value on the deal is pretty even, but it makes no sense for the Devils. We lose the more dynamic pieces at both positions when we desperately need them. That's not a slight on Kapanen, but he's more of a north/south guy with speed whereas Bratt is east/west opening up the ice.
I always find it funny how disingenuous people are about age on these website.

You keep saying Bratt is 19/20 year old but he is a 20 year old who turned 20 in July. Why isn't Kap a 21/22 year old considering he turned 22 in July?

NJD28

Nov 28, 2010
Severson isn't the type of defenseman the Leafs are looking for. The Devils can't afford to trade defensemen. Why not just say the trade doesn't work for either team without the disparaging remarks?

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Actually I think Bratt is better than Kapanen by a bit. I’m not saying the value isn’t there I just think that Bratt is better by quite a bit IMO and the difference is not a probably second-third liner that we get in a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I like Bratt a lot and don't think Jersey should be in the business of even entertaining moving him. But Severson has looked incredibly ordinary to me this year, especially in his own zone. Kapanen + 1 + 2 is quite a payment.

And then you assess the state of the Devils' defense, and realize why Severson wouldn't be made available for anything that isn't a clear upgrade.

Kapanen would be nice, and extra picks are always fun, but moving Severson leaves us with Vatanen, oft-scratched Santini, and pending-UFA Lovejoy at RD. Our left side isn't that pretty, either.

Such a trade takes a hatchet to a position of weakness, while only providing a marginal improvement to a position of relative strength. It wouldn't be wise.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
... probably is just familiar with Bratt?

He's scoring at a 0.5 PPG pace, showed incredible IQ and talent chemistry with Hall last year, plays a strong two-way game, and is fast and shifty as hell. All at the age of 20. Remember what Kapanen was at 20?

So, yeah, Bratt for Kapanen and your late 1st doesn't really do it for New Jersey. No need to take it so ****ing personally... christ.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Devils cant trade away D right now

and Bratt as a "throw in" is completely laughable

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
And then you assess the state of the Devils' defense, and realize why Severson wouldn't be made available for anything that isn't a clear upgrade.

Kapanen would be nice, and extra picks are always fun, but moving Severson leaves us with Vatanen, oft-scratched Santini, and pending-UFA Lovejoy at RD. Our left side isn't that pretty, either.

Such a trade takes a hatchet to a position of weakness, while only providing a marginal improvement to a position of relative strength. It wouldn't be wise.

Agreed. Toronto doesn't have the depth or system to insulate him. Neither team improves as much as they'd like considering the pieces they're moving.

As a broader question, what exactly are the Devils looking to be? They had a pretty good playoffs last year all things considered and Hall is one of the best LWs in the game. But this year they can't get a save and their defensive play can't cover for the weakness in net. Hischier and Bratt are only going to get better, and McLeod looks like he'll at least be an NHLer in a year or two. Do you think they'll buy, sell, or sit?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Agreed. Toronto doesn't have the depth or system to insulate him. Neither team improves as much as they'd like considering the pieces they're moving.

As a broader question, what exactly are the Devils looking to be? They had a pretty good playoffs last year all things considered and Hall is one of the best LWs in the game. But this year they can't get a save and their defensive play can't cover for the weakness in net. Hischier and Bratt are only going to get better, and McLeod looks like he'll at least be an NHLer in a year or two. Do you think they'll buy, sell, or sit?

To make the playoffs again, we needed a lot to go right, and just about everything has gone wrong. You hit the nail on the head; Schneider and Kinkaid headlined the "things that must go right" list, and both have failed. Schneider has fallen off a cliff, and Kinkaid has puttered back to his usual self (after playing some pretty remarkable hockey, I might add). When you couple poor goaltending with a patchwork defense, this is what you get. Oh well.

Up front, we have no real complaints. Hall and Hischier are on pace to replicate their point totals from last season (regardless of what you hear about Hall regressing and Nico being "average"), Palmieri is set to score 20+ goals for the 4th consecutive season (all with New Jersey), Coleman is the ****ing man and that's all that needs to be said, and Zajac continues to be one of the most underrated defensive centers in the game. Bratt has been good when he has played, and we've been impressed with some of the AHL kids who have rotated in and out of the lineup.

Unless the Devils go on a tear, I see them selling their pending free agents for surplus picks, which Shero has notoriously used at the draft to pluck high-upside players (Palmieri, Johansson) from cap-strapped teams. Our trade bait will likely be Johansson, Boyle, and Lovejoy. If Shero does do any "buying," it'll be some sort of hockey trade, but those don't usually happen in-season or at the deadline.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Oh come on don't insult us with this BS.

BS?

BS is claiming that Severson would be the worst defensive player on the Leafs blue line.

It's not just BS, it's clueless. It's pretty obvious you don't know a thing about Severson, and yet, that didn't stop you from weighing in on his value.

His skillset leans more to the offensive side of the ledger, but he's still capable defensively and adds much needed physicality. At worst - at worst - he'd be in the middle of the pack defensively on the Maple Leafs but he'd be clearly better than Gardiner and Zaitsev for sure.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I wouldn’t touch that if I was the Devils.

Edit: Coming from someone who watches both teams pretty much every game.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
BS?

BS is claiming that Severson would be the worst defensive player on the Leafs blue line.

It's not just BS, it's clueless. It's pretty obvious you don't know a thing about Severson, and yet, that didn't stop you from weighing in on his value.

His skillset leans more to the offensive side of the ledger, but he's still capable defensively and adds much needed physicality. At worst - at worst - he'd be in the middle of the pack defensively on the Maple Leafs but he'd be clearly better than Gardiner and Zaitsev for sure.

Disagree heavily. Gardiner? lol convo ends there.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Bratt is pretty solid i like the kid but we also dont need him since we have marner and to a lesser extent bracco.

we love/need kappys north/south game.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
BS?

Bingo. This guy gets it. He has been much better this year after having a down year there is no way we move him for that offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad