Friedman: Could the Leafs target Seth Jones?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Guentzel was a deadline trade, no way the leafs would retain in the summer. And like I said before, you're assuming that the trade wouldn't be contingent on the other team being allowed to talk with the marner camp first. Whatever team acquired him would have an entire year to sign him to an extension

He's not allowed to talk to any other teams until next year... As far as your other points, you're probably right that no one wants to pay him his entire salary up front in the summer so that is a factor. Still doesn't mean other teams value a mid first round pick more than him
Yes, just like players aren't allowed to talk contract and numbers before free agency but yet 2 mins after 12:00 EST, players are signed.

I feel like the rebuild timeline changed once Chicago got Bedard. Can't see them wanting their elite talent sitting in the basement of the standings for too long. Now whether Marner accepts a trade to Chicago and resigns there is a completely different story.

The deal cannot be a 1 for 1 trade for Toronto though if it was Jones, need another piece coming over.

Reactions: Pertti

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Oof if I'm Chicago I'd want to start adding talent to the team NOW. After they pick #2OA, they're pretty well going to have most of their core players drafted. You have to start to supplement them and build the team (Look at what Pittsburgh did with Crosby and the Oilers did with McDavid).

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yes, just like players aren't allowed to talk contract and numbers before free agency but yet 2 mins after 12:00 EST, players are signed.

I feel like the rebuild timeline changed once Chicago got Bedard. Can't see them wanting their elite talent sitting in the basement of the standings for too long. Now whether Marner accepts a trade to Chicago and resigns there is a completely different story.

The deal cannot be a 1 for 1 trade for Toronto though if it was Jones, need another piece coming over.
Another piece I certainly agree with. That piece can't be 2OA though. If I'm the Leafs the thing I want is Jones retained. If I can swap Jones and Marner I'm ok with that If I'm also grabbing say 5M in cap space.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Being realistic, neither Bedard nor Cellibrini are going to make the PO on their ELC. Just too much missing from both squads to expect a turnaround in 2-3 seasons. If PO bar is 95 points, SJ is basically needing to double their point total this past season. Chicago needs an increase of like 43 points to get to 95.

Don't envision Jones waiving for Toronto.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
After they pick #2OA, they're pretty well going to have most of their core players drafted.

This simply isn’t true. After next year, maybe. (Another top 10 pick and Toronto 1st)

Not all prospects are going to hit. I don’t think Davidson would even entertain trading our own first until 2026. (Unless it’s an absolute no brainer type of player)

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
This simply isn’t true. After next year, maybe. (Another top 10 pick and Toronto 1st)

Not all prospects are going to hit. I don’t think Davidson would even entertain trading our own first until 2026. (Unless it’s an absolute no brainer type of player)

I don't understand why Chicago goal is to aim to finish in the bottom-10 again? They should start to add real talent now. This is how teams get stuck in a never-ending rebuild.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Oof if I'm Chicago I'd want to start adding talent to the team NOW. After they pick #2OA, they're pretty well going to have most of their core players drafted.

That's absurd. They have accumulated draft picks in order to have multiple years of drafting as many players as they can. They have multiple first round picks next year, perhaps after adding all the players this summer and next summer you might see a scenario where Chicago could leverage draft capital to bring in a big, established veteran player but that scenario certainly doesn't start unfolding after this years draft. That's just way too early and contradicts the obvious plan they have in place that has seen them stockpile picks.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Davidson better look long and hard at adding Marner . He has tryed to surround the young kids coming up with quality human beings.

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I don't understand why Chicago goal is to aim to finish in the bottom-10 again? They should start to add real talent now. This is how teams get stuck in a never-ending rebuild.

They could add multiple solid FA this year and still be picking in the top 10.

It’s gonna be AT MINIMUM another two seasons until they make the playoffs.

Rebuilds take time. They’ll make progress, but they aren’t gonna become a playoff team overnight.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Hawks need a core around Bedard's age. Then you bring in pieces to fill the holes. There is a reason why they traded Dach and Debrincat. They have a plan at drafting top 5 for a while. That's how they built their last contender/cup winner

Given that the Leafs are a good team and the Hawks are the Hawks Jones probably waives to come to Toronto

I'm 50/50 on that. Jones coming in with a big cap hit in a hot market with a lot of pressure? Not sure what he would think.

Leafs adding Jones from age 30-35 at $9.5M? Personally, I would stay away from this. He's only going to loose more foot speed in his 30's.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Given that the Leafs are a good team and the Hawks are the Hawks Jones probably waives to come to Toronto

He gets enough crap in Chicago, he literally deleted his instagram. I can’t imagine he wants to go to Toronto to help fix that mess and deal with the annoying media contingent.

Also pretty sure his no trade in Columbus had most if not all the Canadian teams on it.

Bottom line, not gonna happen.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
They have a plan at drafting top 5 for a while. That's how they built their last contender/cup winner
That's objectively wrong. They drafted Toews and Kane back to back in 06 and 07, barely missed the playoffs in 08 with 88 points and never looked back.

By the time of Toews/Kane they already had Hjalmarsson, buff, Bolland, Bickell, Brouwer, Seabrook, Kieth, Crawford in the system. Whiffed on Skille in the top 10 (but didnt know it yet) traded the likes of Barker away.

Over the 3-4 years after Kane the only really meaningful piece they added via the draft was stealing Saad in the 2nd

Last edited:

Mar 26, 2010
This is a bad move for the Leafs. I am not a Marner fan, but he can yield a better return than Jones.

Reactions: Tarmore

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's objectively wrong. They drafted Toews and Kane back to back in 06 and 07, barely missed the playoffs in 08 with 88 points and never looked back.

By the time of Toews/Kane they already had Hjalmarsson, buff, Bolland, Bickell, Brouwer, Seabrook, Kieth. Whiffed on Skille in the top 10, traded the likes of Barker away.

Over the 3-4 years after Kane the only really meaningful piece they added via the draft was stealing Saad in the 2nd

Well, this time they got Bedard first. It won't be the exact same like you are trying to connect it to. But the point here is they traded Dach and Debrincat for a reason. To rebuild entirely through the draft for a few years.

How much does Bedard move them up while they are still searching for top 5 or top 10 picks? Remains to be seen and I can see a few more years of it.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
I believe its going to take a 3rd team with Jones.

Tor: Jones (maybe $500k retained)
Chi: Pick or prospect and some of MM salary
Team X: Marner

I think Riley and Jones would make a solid top pair and would give Jones some renewed energy. Chicago gets rid of a contract that does not fit the rebuild. Team X picks up MM for picks or prospects.

I just cant figure out who is Team X.....Utah, NJ, Seattle, St Louis, etc..

DemiGod

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
Chicago has two very important years left for its reconstruction (2025 and 2026). I don't see them accelerating this stage with trades and bad contracts.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

If you're a thirty year old player who's never won anything and has never played more than ten games in a post-season, I don't think Toronto is very high on your list of where you want to go.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
If you're a thirty year old player who's never won anything and has never played more than ten games in a post-season, I don't think Toronto is very high on your list of where you want to go.
Sounds like a perfect fit , one and done , lots of golfing on leaf's

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is a bad move for the Leafs. I am not a Marner fan, but he can yield a better return than Jones.
Maybe in value, but there's no way you get a 1D for a top line winger. Not only that but Marner's value is at a low point. They'd get some decent picks back or an interesting prospect

Jones is a guy that might elevate to that level if he has the chance to play with good players. It's a gamble but the payoff might be getting the type of player that simply is never made available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad