OT: Sens Lounge XCVIII: 1000-Post Rule is Back Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Elton John is amazing.

That exit was priceless!

Doesn't matter how old you are, rock never dies. That jam after Levon, man oh man. He was better this time than last time here. What a true legend and glad my kids got to see the legend live.

My ears were ringing, man that was loud!

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
That exit was priceless!

Doesn't matter how old you are, rock never dies. That jam after Levon, man oh man. He was better this time than last time here. What a true legend and glad my kids got to see the legend live.

I was at the show and enjoyed it. He certainly didn't lack for energy and enthusiasm.

But I found the sound was not great, seemed too amped up and somewhat distorted. As a result, I think some of the more mellow songs suffered -- Tiny Dancer and Daniel are two of my all time favorites, but neither seemed that great to me though.

Agree that the Levon jam was fantastic.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
This is relevant I guess as I’m away at a family wedding and it’s a party bunch. Had a political argument with me cousin for like an hour as he’s apparently a libertarian and it probably wasn’t the best time to have this convo. We are two waaaaaay different people but at least we hugged at the end and I went to bed. :laugh:

I still feel a bit bad as politics beer and family get togethers are not a good mix.
Yeah that's a good example of the difference between the US and Canada.

I mean, at a Canadian family get together it would be almost unheard of for two family members to have a conversation about politics, much less one that becomes heated and emotional.

Most Canadians are just not that passionate in their political beliefs.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
That exit was priceless!

It was amazing. One of the best concerts I've been to. My mom bought tickets a while back as a surprise for me and my two sisters. And for herself of course! And even though we're all married and have kids etc, it was a pretty special night to spend with just my sister's and my mom. As you get older, you really appreciate times like this.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I was at the show and enjoyed it. He certainly didn't lack for energy and enthusiasm.

But I found the sound was not great, seemed too amped up and somewhat distorted. As a result, I think some of the more mellow songs suffered -- Tiny Dancer and Daniel are two of my all time favorites, but neither seemed that great to me though.

Agree that the Levon jam was fantastic.

The piano at times was way too bright and hurt my ears. I have hearing issues and some songs hurt. Don't you live Ray Cooper? My teens thought his energy and style were infectious

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It was amazing. One of the best concerts I've been to. My mom bought tickets a while back as a surprise for me and my two sisters. And for herself of course! And even though we're all married and have kids etc, it was a pretty special night to spend with just my sister's and my mom. As you get older, you really appreciate times like this.

So true. I wished he had played Mona Lisa's and Mad Hatters, one of my favs.

What a stage!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ya'll are lucky. Great time to be a concert-goer. And a sad time, as well. So many legendary acts in the twilight of their careers.

Reactions: Daffy

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
So true. I wished he had played Mona Lisa's and Mad Hatters, one of my favs.

What a stage!

Quick question. He didn't perform Circle of Life or Can you Feel the Love tonight. Just wondering if Disney would get royalties every time he performs it? And that's why he doesn't.. Just curious if anyone knew.

Marnie

Jul 28, 2018

I mean, at a Canadian family get together it would be almost unheard of for two family members to have a conversation about politics, much less one that becomes heated and emotional.

My family is the opposite. It gets very loud when we talk politics.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Quick question. He didn't perform Circle of Life or Can you Feel the Love tonight. Just wondering if Disney would get royalties every time he performs it? And that's why he doesn't.. Just curious if anyone knew.

I don't know, but last time he played Circle of Life...it is nice song when it is live too!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I can't say my personal experience matches yours but I simply love bringing up politics and religion when alcohol is involved. I find its a great to way to see how people really feel about certain issues.

It is a very tight rope to walk though :laugh: That being said, some if the people I care for the most are people I am in stark disagreement with.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
40 years from now, the millennials will be saying the same thing about Justin Bieber and Drake.

Nah. I expect the kids to have more sense than that. I'm not that familiar with the ones out these days, but I would expect Adele, Linkin Park...perhaps Lada Gaga to be remembered. I'm not knowledgeable enough to name any hip hop acts...sure there's probably a couple that will stand the test of time (considering how big that market has been this generation).

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Music's all relative. I'm sure older generations didn't see bands like The Rolling Stones in the 60s having the staying power they did, but they appealed to a specific base and made it work. Same with the Led Zeppelins and Pink Floyds and Motley Crues and David Bowies and Nirvanas and Pearl Jams and so on. I will say the overall talent level seems to be shrinking in favour of machine-based editing and sampling, but there's still lots of great stuff out there if you're open-minded.

On an unrelated note, I saw a really fun pop-punk show in Toronto last night! Neck Deep, Bright Eyes, Stand Atlantic and WSTR. Two from England, two from Australia. Great energy levels and there was more dancing and moshing than most shows I've been to lately. Not for everyone, but certainly did it for me.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Music's all relative. I'm sure older generations didn't see bands like The Rolling Stones in the 60s having the staying power they did, but they appealed to a specific base and made it work. Same with the Led Zeppelins and Pink Floyds and Motley Crues and David Bowies and Nirvanas and Pearl Jams and so on. I will say the overall talent level seems to be shrinking in favour of machine-based editing and sampling, but there's still lots of great stuff out there if you're open-minded.

On an unrelated note, I saw a really fun pop-punk show in Toronto last night! Neck Deep, Bright Eyes, Stand Atlantic and WSTR. Two from England, two from Australia. Great energy levels and there was more dancing and moshing than most shows I've been to lately. Not for everyone, but certainly did it for me.

That’s a great lineup I would have liked to go to that show!

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If I had a dollar for every person in this city who doesn't know how to navigate a 4-way intersection, I could pay off my mortgage tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad