OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This popped up on my YouTube suggestions this morning... a follow-up to the Terence Howard discussion a few pages back.

Hey, I just saw that too...

I will say that it's interesting to see that Mr Howard got constructive feedback but clearly did not take it to heart with some of his... theories. NDT came off a bit harsh in some of the comments but I think that's just the culture of peer review, as oppose to him actually trying to trash anything

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's one interesting thing about it and it's one thing that kind of rubs me the wrong way about the pro-cannabis argument. An alcoholic who is drinking all the time is a trainwreck, but someone who is stoned from the moment they wake up is "fine". I just don't buy it. Just because someone has learned to function while inebriated does not mean they're fine. Lots of addicts to various substances you wouldn't necessarily even know they're using unless you're looking closely. I'm not trying to hate, but the friends I have who are chronic users, I wouldn't entirely classify them as "fine"... Like OK, I take the argument that they don't pose a danger to those around them (arguably one might have to take into account their level of responsibility for others), but they do tend to be a drag to those that depend on them, being super flaky etc. That empty gaze just makes me want to be like, maaan, c'mon. And I know that's not necessarily what you were specifically talking about, but it's an aspect that I think influences a lot of people's opinions.
Well, for starters I don't really recommend being stoned from sunrise to sunset unless you're needing it for some sort of chronic pain issue or something that can't be managed. I'm an evening only user almost exclusively at home after 8pm.

Physically, it's an easy comparison to alcohol because it doesn't wreak havoc on your body in the same way, but that's a story for another day. One of my best friends that I lived with was an alcoholic drinking everyday and moving to Cannabis helped him escape it. I couldn't even begin to tell you how much his life improved. There's healthy and less "dirty" ways to consume it compared to smoking too, so it's not always the dirty stoner. Gummies, vape pens, vaporizers, phoenix tears, capsules, drinks, food, etc. etc. You can high dose, mid dose, low dose, micro dose.

I don't know what stoners you're hanging out with, but that sounds like teenage/20's type stuff to me. Or people that don't have a healthy relationship with it. The ones I know using daily are mostly professionals. My brother is a lawyer, I'm his head paralegal, numerous other lawyers I know consume daily, my best friend is a chartered accountant. Another good friend of mine is a general surgeon, and while he's restricted on when/how often he can consume it, he prefers it as his vice. A couple elected officials I know are everyday users, a city council member, a whole pile of other public servants and successful business owners. It's out there in ways people don't understand and what you describe wouldn't apply to any of them. Some kicked meds like sleeping pills, adhd meds, pain killers, etc.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Hey, I just saw that too...

I will say that it's interesting to see that Mr Howard got constructive feedback but clearly did not take it to heart with some of his... theories. NDT came off a bit harsh in some of the comments but I think that's just the culture of peer review, as oppose to him actually trying to trash anything
He has a massive ego.
Shitty actor that is upset that he hasnt gotten an Oscar. I am not surprised he would take it so personally.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
@BonHoonLayneCornell

are you not concerned about long term health issues?

For years my Dad would tell me it has an impact on bones, it can attack them!!! We had Doctors in the family. Many worked in Africa where hallucinogenic drugs are common.

In reading the many sites on use and long term impact, there are some concerns. In fact a Canadian government fact sheet is not exactly reassuring.

We know smoking and alcohol are quickest way to reduce Old age pension payments. Are you not concerned that long term use will land you with the same problems?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
@BonHoonLayneCornell

For years my Dad would tell me it has an impact on bones, it can attack them!!! We had Doctors in the family. Many worked in Africa where hallucinogenic drugs are common.

In reading the many sites on use and long term impact, there are some concerns. In fact a Canadian government fact sheet is not exactly reassuring.

We know smoking and alcohol are quickest way to reduce Old age pension payments. Are you not concerned that long term use will land you with the same problems?
I mean, compare it to alcohol and it looks far safer tbh especially if you remove the long term effects linked to smoking it by using edibles instead.

Like anything, if it gets to the point of abuse, it's going to have significant negative impacts. From a harm reduction standpoint though, I'd lean towards switching someone from abusing alcohol to abusing cannabis no questions asked.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm sorry, is this a euphemism or are you suggesting there's a causal relationship with a cars lights being off at night and the driver being high?

Even if I were to accept this as true, I'm struggling to think of any mechanism to explain it, like why would getting high result in lights off (especially given most modern cars have an auto setting for the lights that nobody turns off). Why would whatever mechanism causing high drivers not to turn on their lights not equally affect drunk drivers?

As an aside, I find it has been increasingly infrequent that I see people drive with their lights off, likely due to almost every car on the road having auto lights these days.
People are driving with their DRLs on, and not all cars have automatic lights. Yeah, I contend that my opinion is they are most likely stoned. People who are high tend to be forgetful and chill. Or some have worse reaction times, like the guy who was speeding and t-boned me, high as a kite.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
@BonHoonLayneCornell

I do a bit, but that applies to a lot of things in life and I live a very healthy lifestyle otherwise. I don't think it's even in the same stratosphere as alcohol as far as health concerns go. We all have a vice or two I assume. I do cross fit 3-4 times a week. I play hockey in the winter for 35-40 games a season and am pretty active in the summer. I eat very healthy with a rigid diet. I limit my sugar and sodium intake. I take vitamins and supplements. I don't eat any junk food or fast food anymore. I don't consume alcohol or pharmaceuticals basically at all other than the odd occasion. I don't live in a polluted city. I only vaporize it or do edibles and don't smoke it at all.

I don't see a lot on that sheet that concerns me too much to be honest. Some of the brain stuff is probably at the forefront, and maybe the blood pressure stuff as I age, but something is gonna get me. I'm already someone that gets a lot of anxiety from a very young age and so its been a push pull relationship with that. It helps in some ways and can increase it in other ways, but I'll be living with it either way and I like the ways it does help me with it.

Reactions: maclean

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1718386976665.png

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Lol at all of this anecdotal 'evidence' being thrown around about impaired drivers.

I swear officer, that guy looked super stoned as I was doing 120 down the Queensway!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
People are driving with their DRLs on, and not all cars have automatic lights. Yeah, I contend that my opinion is they are most likely stoned. People who are high tend to be forgetful and chill. Or some have worse reaction times, like the guy who was speeding and t-boned me, high as a kite.
Anecdotally, I've had 2 write offs and they were both high drama.

One was a drunk driver that just happened to hit me in front of a bar he was pulling in to. He told me off and went straight in the bar after the accident. He got off because he went in there and ordered a drink and they couldn't prove he was drunk prior to the accident. Then he tried to attack me and had to be detained.

Another was a teenage kid who took his dads ski-doo out without asking and was driving way too fast on the sidewalk. He went ripping through the front end of my car as I pulled out of the driveway and I had to chase him down and wrestle him off the sled to keep him from running.

• Wow
Reactions: coladin and DrEasy

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
There it is - you had a personally bad experience, and are projecting that drivers habits on others

Reactions: coladin

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
For everyone else that works in a company/office type environment, I hope y'all fridays become flex Fridays where management agrees to not have meetings after 2pm so if you finish up your work, you can just leave lol

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, it's a legal requirement to have automatic headlights in all cars made after 2021 in Canada, and many manufacturers were doing it long before then. So, yeah, there are still some cars on the road without them, but it's not exactly the norm at this point. Heck, I had auto lights in my 2008 focus, not exactly a premium car.

Like I said, I rarely see cars without their lights on these days, where as it was a regular occurrence when I was in my 20s. I don't see why you'd be more likely to forget to turn on lights under the influence of Cannabis rather than alcohol, so why assume one over the other?

Reactions: Relapsing

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Baby turns 10 months old today... My god, time flies :(

Quickly realizing how life is short lol... Barely have time to do anything now... Lucky to have a loving, caring partner who still lets me go play dodgeball, baseball, darts. I appreciate the down time so much more now, especially at the trailer with a beer staring at a nice campfire. Noticing how I'm getting old when I'm playing horseshoes with the other campers. Without me there, the average age easily goes up 10 years. :sarcasm:

For everyone else that works in a company/office type environment, I hope y'all fridays become flex Fridays where management agrees to not have meetings after 2pm so if you finish up your work, you can just leave lol
It's insane to me... Our CIO likes to throw our management some meetings last minute on a Friday (Sometimes 2/3-4pm meetings)

Anything on my calendar past 2pm is too late and instantly declined.

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Baby turns 10 months old today... My god, time flies :(

Quickly realizing how life is short lol... Barely have time to do anything now... Lucky to have a loving, caring partner who still lets me go play dodgeball, baseball, darts. I appreciate the down time so much more now, especially at the trailer with a beer staring at a nice campfire. Noticing how I'm getting old when I'm playing horseshoes with the other campers. Without me there, the average age easily goes up 10 years. :sarcasm:

It's insane to me... Our CIO likes to throw our management some meetings last minute on a Friday (Sometimes 2/3-4pm meetings)

Anything on my calendar past 2pm is too late and instantly declined.
I'm the bottom of the bottom at my company, where work is handed off to me and I just have to keep my head down and get it done. I'm not allowed to turn down meetings, but being able to potentially start my weekend early is legit dope! It'll come clutch when it comes to watching the Euro cup.

Hope you're able to get some more sleep as the baby grows!

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Depends on the person. I cannot function at all when I'm high even on my 'easy going' 1/3 split THC/CBD stuff. Yet I have coworkers driving heavy machinery day in day out under the influence with absolutely no problem. It's absolutely mind-boggling to me.

It hits different for different folks I guess. For me it's on the same level (a step down maybe) as psilocybin where I'm on another plane of existance all together. I would never drink and drive but I could not even fathom driving while high. Devils lettuce.
how often and how long have you smoked? Edibles I would say are different because that shit can lock you down.

Ahh, a fellow man of culture
200w.gif

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
@BonHoonLayneCornell

None of what is in that link says will, only it can. It basically says different strokes for different folks. No concrete evidence.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The mind is a funny thing. If you always put your seat belt on, turn your blinkers on, stop at red lights, being stoned isn't going to change that. It's ingrained in the way that you drive. Now if you are a bad driver who doesn't do those things regularly then guess what you are a bad driver and smoking has nothing to do with it. Assuming someone is stoned because they don't have their lights on is Refer Madness funny.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I just cam back from Europe less than a week ago and there is no love for EV's there. all of the same things we gripe about they do too. There are many charging stations there that are never being used because it is too expensive for public ones and apartment buildings won't install them. Each day its a topic on TV.

The US government spent $7.5 billion effort to jump-start the EV charging landscape, is moving very, very slowly. Now more than two years after the program was signed into law in late 2021, only eight chargers have been put in place….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad