OT: Sens Lounge LXXXVI | Poutine on the Ritz

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
That new Cactus Club that blocks the view of English Bay epitomizes everything that is wrong with Vancouver.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
That new Cactus Club that blocks the view of English Bay epitomizes everything that is wrong with Vancouver.

Do you live in Vancouver ?

There's a lot wrong with it, and that's definitely one of them. Also those huge high-rises they are building at the bottom of North Vancouver right next to an already overly congested highway/bridge intersection.

Ttracer*

Shwarma in Canada in general is way worse than it is abroad. When you're in Switzerland, you'll have the pleasure of having some REALLY good Middle Eastern food (namely Turkish, which is a bit different, I know).

You've gotten Vancouver's personality pretty much 100%, though. Asian food (Korean, Japanese, Thai, Mainland Chinese, Taiwanese, and N.American Chinese) is fabulous here. European food is in general AWFUL. I've never even been to a BBQ restaurant here, but there is a new Brazilian Steak House that is very highly spoken of. When I used to teach ESL most of my students would rave about it.

#1 most popular type of place in Vancouver (outside of maybe sushi) are places like Cactus Club, Browns, Earl's, ect.

Luckily, there's been a huge emergence of hispter hole-in-the-wall diners, restaurants, and pubs, and they are all awesome... and the beer :D

No one outside Canada has ever heard of shawarma. They call it doner, basically a Halifax donair without all the meat, substituted by veggies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
No one outside Canada has ever heard of shawarma. They call it doner, basically a Halifax donair without all the meat, substituted by veggies.

Actually anyone who's watched Avengers to the end knows what shawarma is.
They call it that in England too, it's their go-to after the bar food.

oh and speaking of Brazilian steakhouses, the one in Gatineau was approved by my fiancée... it wasn't 100% spot on, but close enough to make her feel at home. She was especially a fan of the fact that they did the pineapple dessert. And she spoke with them to find out that they originally had tried to make proper pao de queijo inhouse.. but the issue is there's a cheese they use for it in Brazil that's not available here. She's got some things she wants to try though to do it from scratch here.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The most disappointing thing in life: finding out how much a tablespoon or teaspoon actually is.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The most disappointing thing in life: finding out how much a tablespoon or teaspoon actually is.

A teaspoon is 5mL, a tablespoon is 15mL.

Also:
how-many_guide_infographic1.jpg

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007

I know what döner is. I lived in Germany ;) And it definitely has meat :)

The bottom line is that it's worse in Canada because of cooking regulations and absence of authenticity / demand. I think it's a lack of Turkish people. They make the best spitted (no idea what to call it - food cooked on a spit) food.

Ttracer*

I know what döner is. I lived in Germany ;) And it definitely has meat :)

The bottom line is that it's worse in Canada because of cooking regulations and absence of authenticity / demand. I think it's a lack of Turkish people. They make the best spitt(no idea what to call it - food cooked on a spit) food.

Shawarma/doner both have meat, but a real Halifax donair is overflowing with saucy meat, they don't overload them with cheap pickled veggies and lettuce. Essentially taking the meat out

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Shawarma/doner both have meat, but a real Halifax donair is overflowing with saucy meat, they don't overload them with cheap pickled veggies and lettuce. Essentially taking the meat out

I dunno, I do love my pickled turnips and other veggies in a shawarma. You just gotta get a big one so there is plenty of room for the meat and the veggies.

I'm getting hungry.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Do you live in Vancouver ?

There's a lot wrong with it, and that's definitely one of them. Also those huge high-rises they are building at the bottom of North Vancouver right next to an already overly congested highway/bridge intersection.
My mom lives there, so I pay a visit from time to time.

But yeah, basically the rich people have their way with the city.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Someone please tell me a way to avoid all the ads and popup app ads on mobile other than becoming a sponsor.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Someone please tell me a way to avoid all the ads and popup app ads on mobile other than becoming a sponsor.

Volunteer to be a mod? ;)
Also I believe the issue is desktop mode on a mobile device no? If you use the mobile version I don't think they're as bad?

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Volunteer to be a mod? ;)
Also I believe the issue is desktop mode on a mobile device no? If you use the mobile version I don't think they're as bad?

They're worse... Every time I press somewhere, open a window, refresh or whatever, I get the damn Game of War app popup. I have never hated a game so much :laugh:

As for what you said, I volunteer to be a mod.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I've never been a huge shawarma guy, so I'm not too qualified to compare in that department, but Canada does have really good falafels, at least in Toronto/Montreal.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
The best poutine that I have ever had, was at a place in Quebec City called Ashton's or something similar to that. They served their poutines in a metal pie dish and it was heavenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad