OT: Sens Lounge CVII - The Summer (of Dorion) Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
FDIC appointed as receiver for Silicon Valley Bank. 16th largest bank in the US.

Stay safe folks. Level of contagion unknown.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I am not financially responsible.

002E997B-CC45-4137-95C1-2156FECC398C.jpeg

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
This does not look good.

Super strange situation. They aren’t going to declare BK so I’m not sure what happens to depositors. Sounds like eventual repayment as certain securities on their books mature.

You’re about to see a lot of rich people pull bank deposits in favor of treasury bills and other assets. Not good.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Super strange situation. They aren’t going to declare BK so I’m not sure what happens to depositors. Sounds like eventual repayment as certain securities on their books mature.

You’re about to see a lot of rich people pull bank deposits in favor of treasury bills and other assets. Not good.
It's a very scary situation unfolding this could trigger a lot of collapses.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Sounds like the rich in the US are about to feel some pain. Considering what the rest of us went through for the last 20 years while the Big Boys all got bailouts, it's hard to feel any empathy on this one.

The whole system is bullshit, anyways.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Sounds like the rich in the US are about to feel some pain. Considering what the rest of us went through for the last 20 years while the Big Boys all got bailouts, it's hard to feel any empathy on this one.

The incentives get totally screwed up via bailouts; when banks make money, they keep it, when they lose money, the taxpayers foot the bill. Charlie Munger said "show me the incentive and I'll show you the outcome". Well it seems like the incentive is returns and who cares about the risk because they don't bear it.

Add the fact that increasingly complicated and convoluted financial products are being created. Risks that not all counterparts understand are being taken with large amounts of capital. And there's always potential for some affect of contagion when some counterparts gets it wrong or overlooks something.

Anyways, treasuries are yielding as much as the S&P these days. Last time that happened was the dotcom bubble. Equity market is due for a correction. And with the historic speed of rate increases, you would figure something was likely to break. Maybe this will be the start.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

Not so much rich people but regional banks will get squeezed as deposits flee to larger institutions, crypto and government securities.

People are going to be loathe to keep more than $250k at any bank that isn’t too big to fail.

That said SVB was unique in that over 50% of its balance sheet was invested in low yield and long term assets like T Bonds and fixed rate mortgages so they took a monstrous bath when they needed to sell for liquidity. No other bank of their size has close to the same exposure. Some of the dumbest risk management since Enron.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Everyone stay safe, covid isn't over by any means.

My partner's family is all down with Covid. Her mom is a nurse and everyone is knocked out right now. Aside from flu season messing me (i've got a decimated immune system since getting covid) up, it just reminds me how scary it'd be to end up sick and in the hospital.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
hey did anyone's else's antivirus just go off a few moments ago?

I only have this site open!!!!

Beech

Nov 25, 2020

My partner's family is all down with Covid. Her mom is a nurse and everyone is knocked out right now. Aside from flu season messing me (i've got a decimated immune system since getting covid) up, it just reminds me how scary it'd be to end up sick and in the hospital.
you cannot stop this!!! it is a virus and is circulating. There is only one way to protect yourself and that is with masking, social distancing and a strong level of isolation...

That has a huge price.. I have posted on here, but they get deleted.

if you need an x-ray and it is not urgent, you could be looking at 2-3 trips to a clinic and a wait of hours. If you do not arrive at 8 am and register, you risk not getting a time. Then you have to come back...my wife went through cancer in covid days.. It was insane. Some prices of goods and services are 60% higher. Stores install cctv for theft (we are talking food stores). A bank just collapsed.

Whether you believe it came from a bat to humans or escaped from a lab, who cares. It is here.. And we have to live with it. It will circulate for years and years. And kill the weak and injure the semi weak and weaken the strong. We are probably 1-2 years away from a 100% infection rate and 2-3 years away from a 200% infection rate.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Don’t know if you guys have been following JPs latest hilarious meltdown on Twitter but this made me LOL
11880C58-DB73-460E-A345-0AFA96603805.png

Don’t know if you guys have been following JPs latest hilarious meltdown on Twitter but this made me LOL
11880C58-DB73-460E-A345-0AFA96603805.png

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Yep. Our workplace has been decimated since early February. Easily double the people out for illness now than at the worst part of the pandemic.

Whatever is circulating now is spreading like crazy.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
When you see this message, does it mean a thread has been removed, or accidentally “ignored”?
Oops! We ran into some problems.  HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey L...png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad