Sens Lack of Talent means they should Tank

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's not like we're an old team and we're going full blown teardown but we could free up some spots and pile up the 2nd to 4th rounders.

Phillips, Legwand, maybe younger assets like Wiercioch, Smith. Our best asset is obviously Anderson.

My point is that there is no need to pretend we're trying everything to make the playoffs and waste another great opportunity to draft a player that can change a franchise.

I agree, we do need to be careful about getting rid of players because there is much a stake.

Trading any of our 'available' guys for futures will likely have very little impact on the team we have. It is possible is that call ups give us that short lived boost that puts us higher in the standings than if we had just slogged on with what we had.

Trading Andy is robbing the team of stable goaltending and mentoring for Robin, and also of a good older backup down the road. His value is more to us than we would be able to get back.

Trading Phillips or Neil against their wishes would be a blemish on our franchise. To life long team guys on their likely last contracts who want to finish it out with the only team and city they've played for? You don't trade them. If they want a chance, sure, we know Brian would accommodate them. The other thing is that the return for either player would not be enough to mitigate the reputation damage done. Those two may not mean much to the younger fans, but to us older types these guys have been rocks for this team for over a decade.

Michalek could bring back something, and perhaps this is a good time to sever ties. He is guaranteed his money, and a new place my do wonders for him.

Legwand could be traded, but he wasn't brought here for offence, and I think his value here is more than anything we would get back.

We can't role with a team full of rookies. We have have almost three players with 1000 games, that's good, and we should be happy. We already have almost a full roster of kids.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No one is losing sight of that, the thought of supporting tanking is tasteful to many FANS, irrespective of an NHL boardroom. The reason why people respond negatively to you is because, you know, you posted it on an NHL forum, with, you know, other hockey fans...

I would imagine that suggesting, 'not acquiring assets to make us better at this time, and immediately jettisoning established assets for picks before their value drops' would be far more accepted in a Sens boardroom, than you massaging the idea of the team tanking on a forum.

Few people want to support a team trying to lose, just like few people want to from a dude calling for our favourite team to lose on purpose. That should make sense to you I think.

Where did I state what their return would be? I know we won't be getting much for them. But it's money out. And collectively we can put that money elsewhere. If you think they're value to this team exceeds whatever we gain by letting then go then that's fine.
I don't think Michalek has even really been that bad this season. He's had a few horrid games. But he doesn his thing. Which is not scoring. Doesn't mean I don't want him gone. It's a big contract.
Neil is not Neil anymore. He's added some offense but it's not like we can expect more from him.

I hardly call trading Neil a full out tank.

So? Are we incapable of discussing the pros and cons of a tanked season vs an 8th seeded one?
It's for discussion. What good is discussion that is just pointing out exactly what this team is going to do.
I'm quite aware that this team is going to keep it's vets. Michalek probably won't be moved. Neil and Phillips are going to retire here and be Sens lifers. But why am I discussing that. So I can be correct and stroke my hockey ego and call everyone who doesn't say It along with me an idiot haha. Sorry. But that's no fun.

"We will not tank"
"You are right. We won't"
"Neil is playing well"
"That's right he is"
"We should say some of this stuff because odds are it won't happen"
"You're right we shouldn't"

Wow exciting.
I wonder what the percentage if trade proposals from HF boards actually coming true is. Probably extremely low.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
At this point we might as well hold on to Neil, another Senator for life

He's a good extra forward to have. I just don't think he's a someone I want in the lineup on a regular basis when a guy like Condra, who is far more useful day in and day out, sits

He's been pretty good this year anyway, he isn't hurting the team; no point in trading him

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Losing interest in a particular team because of HF boards?

It's a factor but a small one, the constant lock-outs and the sucky reffing in the NHL have somewhat made me lose enthusiasm about the league. Plus I'm changing, I love hockey but I would rather play a game than watch one 10/10. I will continue to follow the NHL but this is not a religion to me, I'm not very invested emotionally. It's like watching a movie you know. Cool for the moment, but moving to something else after. HF takes too much time if you want to be really participating. I'm constantly changing habits, making place for something else. I think half of my 14K posts were in my first 1.5 years as a member lol. I have been posting less and less and the goal is making the trend continue. I have a bit of time now but soon going to mad busy once again. So not much time for HF as it's far from a priority. I'll just need to find the dopamine elsewhere. Work is a good place for that :)

It's also annoying to get jumped on for personal preferences. I didn't bash the city of Ottawa (and if I did in the past, it was ok to call me out), but in this case I was just saying that I'm not a Sens fans because of the city... lol why would I? Do people think that all hockey fans that live outside of the city of their favorite team are fans BECAUSE of the city? That's ridiculous.

Honestly, I was pretty pissed they didn't put in the effort to keep around the Hemsky/Spezza combo. My understanding was Hemsky was only going to stay if Spezza was here and Spezza was already one foot out the door, but I never really accepted that as an excuse. Plus there was the issue of paying them both, but that never really sat with me either. What I do know is Dallas managed to snag Hemsky on the basis of Spezza and then isn't even playing them on the same line and I don't know whether to feel sorry for them or take some kind of smug satisfaction in it.

That's these kind of posts I will never understand on HF... What do we really know about that? What can you do when a player wants a scenery change? What's the point of keeping Hemsky if Spezza wasn't staying? They actually did try to keep both but there was a maximum price they'd pay to keep them and in the end, it wouldn't have changed a thing, Spezza still wanted to move on. Reality is Ottawa isn't among the best UFA destinations (and I don't think those best destinations are in Canada, just the taxes and weather makes it difficult), so don't be surprised when some players want to try it elsewhere.

He's a good extra forward to have. I just don't think he's a someone I want in the lineup on a regular basis when a guy like Condra, who is far more useful day in and day out, sits

He's been pretty good this year anyway, he isn't hurting the team; no point in trading him

Chris Neil, the guy who is tied for 6th in goals scored by forwards? Yeah, no point in trading him, he's not signed long-term, he doesn't cost a lot of money, he's a Sens for life who always gave his all for the team, great work ethic and leader, well respected... I mean he's not the difference between a Stanley Cup or not... I'm guessing some fans are anxious to add more rookies to the tean, yeah it's not like has been doing that MASSIVELY since 2010-11

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
To Colorado: Wiercioch LD, Greening LW, Pageau C & 2015 1st rd pick
To Ottawa: Ryan O'Rielly LW/C
- since I doubt Ottawa will end up in the top 10 anyway & have any chance for McDavid I would rather make a deal for an established NHL elite player. Ottawa needs more production from the centre & LW position & O'Rielly plays both.
- Colorado is having a crappy yr & could end up in the top 10, a 2nd 1st rd pick in a good deep draft could really help their rebuild.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - O'Rielly - Zibanejad
Michalek - Smith - Stone
Chiasson - Legwand - Neil/Condra

That's great! Give away a top 10 pick (potential #1 overall) plus a young center for a guy who has a ZERO PERCENT CHANCE of signing here. Great trade for a year and a half of an underperforming money-first guy. :shakehead :help:

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

When hasn't he been good? Some people don't realize the importance of having him around. He really helps police some players. And he's a +/- 4

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5