Senators Off-Season Discussion 2024 Mega Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
I'm not a fan of Binnington, but he's a legit starter...

I think it could work but we'd have to include Forsberg in the deal for cap purposes (or dump him some other way)

So...
Re-sign Pinto at 5 mil, Katchouk and Kelly at 1 mil each, trade or let Brannstrom walk
Sign Pesce or another RHD at 6 mil max
Kleven get's that last LHD spot

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Batherson
Katchouk-Norris-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-MacEwen

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Pesce
Kleven-JBD

Binnington
Korpse.

extra: Hamonic

that comes in at 87.25 mil, but is only a 21 man roster, no 13th fwd and the bottom 6 is pretty rough (maybe Ostapchup, Crookshank, or Jarventie could steal a spot). The 3rd pair is also really green.

there's not a lot of room to "trim the fat" and upgrade either, we could maybe sign a RHD for less and perhaps get Pinto for a touch cheaper, but its not going to get you very far imo.

Seems highly unlikely given the corner it backs us into.

Sign Chatfield over Pesce, offer 7yrs! Cheaper. Arguably a better option.

Norris to LW with Pinto. Greig at C on line 3.

Chychrun to Winnipeg for Barron, Bauer, +. 3rd line becomes Barron - Greig - Joseph.

Sign, to a short term deal, one of:
Samsonov
Driedger
Lankinen
Brossoit
Nedeljkovic
Stolarz

Hire Piero Greco away from the Islanders (this to me is one of the most impactful moves the Sens could make this off-season). This guy has been learning from perhaps the best goalie coach in the game for years (Mitch Korn).]

Fire Jack Capuno (sorry Jack, I'm sure you're a swell guy, but...). Work with Green to identify/hire an assistant coach that can work with the Defense and help them be all that they can be...Todd Richards out of Nashville? Stanley Cup ring. Head coach pedigree.

More than player moves, I believe the player support moves can have a big, big impact on next season (and seasons to come).

Reactions: bicboi64

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If the Sens cannot trade Korpisalo they will be cap challenged on what exactly they can do. Here is a way to get them slightly under the cap while addressing four priorities.

1. Trade Chychrun & Forsberg to Boston for Ullmark ($7.335 mil out & $5 mil in)
2. Sign UFA Jalen Chatfield RD ($3.3 mil in) for 3 or 4 yrs
3. Sign RFA Shane Pinto for 6 yrs @ $6 mil
4. Hire a very good former NHL defenceman who is a very good teacher to be behind the bench as an assist coach (Luke Richardson type)

Out: Kubalik LW, Katchouk LW, Brannstrom LD, Chychrun LD & Forsberg G = $12.61 mil
In: Ullamrk G, Chatfield RD, Kleven LD, Ostapchuk LW & a signed Pinto C/RW - $16.041 mil

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - Giroux
Ostapchuk - Greig - Joseph
Kelly - Kastelic - MacEwan - $50 mil

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Chatfield
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic - $27 mil

Ullmark - Korpisalo - $9 mil (expensive) = $86 mil

- Goaltending improves
- RD improves
- Pinto signed long term

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
If the Sens cannot trade Korpisalo they will be cap challenged on what exactly they can do. Here is a way to get them slightly under the cap while addressing four priorities.

4. Hire a very good former NHL defenceman who is a very good teacher to be behind the bench as an assist coach (Luke Richardson type)

Out: Kubalik LW, Katchouk LW, Brannstrom LD, Chychrun LD & Forsberg G = $12.61 mil
In: Ullamrk G, Chatfield RD, Kleven LD, Ostapchuk LW & a signed Pinto C/RW - $16.041 mil

Stutzle - Pinto - Giroux

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Chatfield

- Goaltending improves
- RD improves
- Pinto signed long term
You’re missing a 13th F and 7th D.

IMO they’re gonna have to go cheaper on goaltending, because that bottom pairing is too inexperienced (or bad, in Hamonic’s case) and we need another forward up front. The bottom six is basically what we had this year.

Assuming you go 2.5 mil on goaltending, move Joseph and Pinto comes in at ~5 mil as reported then that gives you 6.5 mil more to work with than you have. Although, I don’t think we’d get Chatfield for that price, or any RD really. Probably should allocate at least 4.5 mil to whoever that addition is.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You’re missing a 13th F and 7th D.

IMO they’re gonna have to go cheaper on goaltending, because that bottom pairing is too inexperienced (or bad, in Hamonic’s case) and we need another forward up front. The bottom six is basically what we had this year.

Assuming you go 2.5 mil on goaltending, move Joseph and Pinto comes in at ~5 mil as reported then that gives you 6.5 mil more to work with than you have. Although, I don’t think we’d get Chatfield for that price, or any RD really. Probably should allocate at least 4.5 mil to whoever that addition is.
Hamonic is the 7th D sharing that spot with JBD & I imagine they will bring up a cheap player like Imama as the 13th forward although maybe not right away to save a little money. I agree with you, but the money is really tight & don't forgot these guys all have signed contracts, they need to find a way to move Korpisalo or Joseph, but much easier said than done to bring in a decent top 9 forward will cost $. I had Matt Roy at $4 mil initially, but they could afford to give Chatfield $4, they can't afford much more, that's the problem the money. is very tight.

Reactions: PlayOn

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Hamonic is the 7th D sharing that spot with JBD & I imagine they will bring up a cheap player like Imama as the 13th forward although maybe not right away to save a little money. I agree with you, but the money is really tight & don't forgot these guys all have signed contracts, they need to find a way to move Korpisalo or Joseph, but much easier said than done to bring in a decent top 9 forward will cost $. I had Matt Roy at $4 mil initially, but they could afford to give Chatfield $4, they can't afford much more, that's the problem the money. is very tight.
We are not going to have money problems. There's a lot of dead weight on its way out. Don't expect to see Josh Norris back till next spring In order to get a retooling done of dorion's mistakes and blunders we are going to have to unload some of the dead weight. Realistically our bottom six is pretty expendable outside of Pinto and Greig. I don't expect to see Brannstrom come back and neither does anybody else. I wouldn't doubt to see how I'm going to take a roll with the Senators in development and retire his last year while still collecting his paycheck and not officially calling it till the end of the year. The hammer is out of nails. You also can expect that the money from Chych off the books. Matt Murray money off the books. That freak Bobby Ryan money off the books. Ltir Norris and who knows what else. There's potential for a lot of cap space.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There

Stutzle - Pinto - Giroux

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Chatfield

- Goaltending improves
- RD improves
- Pinto signed long term
Chatfield resigned in Carolina ($3M x 3yr). That money could get Carrier out of NSH, potentially.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Hakanpaa would be a fantastic under the radar target IMO
Can't imagine him being too expensive either. His last deal had a $1.5 million cap hit and the last year of his deal paid him $2 million. He'd either get a one year 'prove it' deal or try to get a 3-4 year pay day considering hes' 32

Reactions: KevinRedkey

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Can't imagine him being too expensive either. His last deal had a $1.5 million cap hit and the last year of his deal paid him $2 million. He'd either get a one year 'prove it' deal or try to get a 3-4 year pay day considering hes' 32

That's what I'm thinking as well.

In a realistic way, he's the perfect 3RD. He'd also make a great partner for Kleven if that's what Staios is aiming for.

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
That's what I'm thinking as well.

In a realistic way, he's the perfect 3RD. He'd also make a great partner for Kleven if that's what Staios is aiming for.
Man we'd have some size on the 3rd pairing and it wouldn't be big lunks, it'd be guys that can still skate with a Kleven and Hakanpaa pairing. Two big guys above 6ft3 that can hit, make it happen Staios

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad