Proposal: Seattle - New Jersey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Seattle receives:
Jesper Boqvist

New Jersey receives:
Nathan Bastian

Seattle gets a young, high skilled player who is waiver exempt. Don't have to lose somebody to waivers. New Jersey gets much needed toughness in the bottom 6 and can reunite the BMW 4th line (Bastian, McLeod, Wood) that had success last season.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
this would have been something for the expansion draft. too late now.

but kudos for not trading away a first round pick.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I don't mind thought process here.

NJ has enough skill players so it tough to see Boqvist get a regular role in the lineup.
NJ does have an open slot for a big physical forward (formerly filled by Bastian), so going back to Seattle to ask about bringing him back to NJ maybe a worthwhile exercise.

I think this a deal that I probably willing to do. I agree that Boqvist has bigger upside and potential but I can't see Boqvist playing. He's about to become buried in the depth chart behind younger players like Mercer, Holtz, Foote and Stillman.

Bastian fills a legit need and already has chemistry with Wood and McLeod.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Seems a reasonable proposal value wise. Not a huge needle mover either that puts a GM in a hot seat.

someone here nailed the Graves to Devils trade exactly on the button before it happened.

HF may have a better pulse on Devils than the other franchises.

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... Bastian is replaceable. Boq still has untapped potential.

does not seem balanced to me,
probably won't tempt NJD
losing a high upside ELC C for
an older, marginal, waivers-vulnerable depth W

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I’m okay with this deal. I don’t think Boqvist is going to amount to anything and Bastian is the perfect fourth liner.
note* I could be wrong with Boqvist because I also Thought Bastian was going to be a career AHLer.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Good deal that makes sense for both sides. Helps Seattle possibly avoid losing a forward on waivers and fills a need for NJ. Well done OP!

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Good deal as I want Nate back, but can we send AJ retained instead?

The idea behind sending Boqvist to Seattle is that he doesn't have to clear waivers to be sent down to the minors. That's why it makes sense for Seattle to explore a trade like this so they don't lose a forward for nothing on the waiver wire.

Last edited:

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Bastian would have a bigger impact for nj and boqvist would have a bigger impact for Seattle. Boqvist is clearly the more talented player but is he more valuable?

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
The idea behind sending Boqvist to Seattle is that he doesn't have to clear waivers to be sent down to the minors. That's why it makes sense for Seattle to explore a trade like this so they don't lose a forward for nothing on the waiver wire.
Yeah I know, and its fair, but ya know JespBo ends up figuring it out in Sea

Is Fitz just waiting for the last of the waivers to make a move like this?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I actually liked Bastian with what I have seen from him on the Kraken. He fits the type of player Ron Francis has been looking for and certainly has earned a role on the team based on pre-season play. I do not know much about Boqvist outside of looking at his stats but would seriously consider the deal because he is waiver exempt. Once Blackwell and Gourde are healthy we have too many NHL level forwards that will need to be exposed to waivers.

Reactions: Peter Sidorkiewicz

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I actually liked Bastian with what I have seen from him on the Kraken. He fits the type of player Ron Francis has been looking for and certainly has earned a role on the team based on pre-season play. I do not know much about Boqvist outside of looking at his stats but would seriously consider the deal because he is waiver exempt. Once Blackwell and Gourde are healthy we have too many NHL level forwards that will need to be exposed to waivers.

The main basis for the deal for Seattle would be that they get the higher upside player in Boqvist - who is a year younger and waiver exempt.

The main basis for the deal for New Jersey would be that they get a physical, 4th line RW who already has shown chemistry with their other 4th liners.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
does not seem balanced to me,
probably won't tempt NJD
losing a high upside ELC C for
an older, marginal, waivers-vulnerable depth W

Devils definitely take the hit value-wise. Boqvist really doesn’t have a role on this team right now. He had Hischier, Hughes, Zacha, and now Mercer pushing for top nine center minutes ahead of him. His biggest asset being his speed and puck carrying ability is somewhat redundant with Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Tatar, Zacha, Sharangovich, and Kuokkanen to compete with. Plus all of those are left handed forwards which makes it even harder for Boqvist to carve out a role.

Bastian adds size, physicality, a RHS, and an effective two way games. Devils just claimed a carbon copy of a 2000s Andrew Peters because they lack size and physicality on the team. It helps a bit that him and McLeod are really close friends as well.

Reactions: hidek91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad