News: Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
All I know is in this thread is i see a lot of armchair gms thinking they know whats going on behind the scenes when in reality they dont, Let everything play out before you start saying Ron is getting fleeced or other teams are pulling a fast one on seattle. When the dust settles and you can see whats happened and hasnt hasppen then you can have your moment in the spotlight.

There are going to be trades to Seattle. What kind of trades. No one knows but it'll be impossible for there to be no trades with Seattle.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
We play in the pacific division. A very crap weak division. You think we'll be more crappy than Anaheim the sharks, Vancouver, flames and the the kings?
That all depends what route they take for entry draft+ free agents. Let's say if they make the playoffs be amazing feat in the 1st year.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That all depends what route they take for entry draft+ free agents. Let's say if they make the playoffs be amazing feat in the 1st year.

That still doesn't change that pacific division is still the garbage division. Don't over estimate the team there. They aren't suddenly gonna be all better and its a guarantee seattle finishes dead last no matter what we do.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
We play in the pacific division. A very crap weak division. You think we'll be more crappy than Anaheim the sharks, Vancouver, flames and the the kings?
LA, Anaheim and SJ have actual NHL Centers or prospect centers that are nearly ready for a breakout while Seattle may have Kerfoot as its 1C.
Kerfoot as a 1C is just epicly bad, uber bad.

Kopitar, Byfield, Zegras, Turcotte, Hertl, Couture, Villardi, Getzlaf and Henrique will all be better than Kerfoot next season.

With that kind of depth at center Landeskog may settle for less to sign with a team that has a better centers than Seattle.

Also Lindholm and Manson being fully healthy this season means Anaheim won't be as bad and a breakout from Zegras and Comtois they will be at least better than Seattle.

Seattle is looking at being dead last because of no center depth and worse offense than Anaheim.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
The biggest question for the Devils appears to be who will be the final forward protected between Mikey Mcleod, Andreas Johnsson and Nate Bastian. Bastian seems the mostly likely to be exposed.

PK Subban is also assumed to be exposed. The important thing to note on Subban is that his real dollars would only be $2 million as New Jersey paid his $6 million dollar bonus already, so there is a chance that Seattle could like that selection, especially if they want an "ambassador" as a new franchise.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Am I off base in my thinking here you guys ? Why would Seattle waste an expansion draft pick on a player who will be UFA the week after? It’s essentially wasting a pick unless you know the player will sign .

Reactions: Flyer lurker

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Am I off base in my thinking here you guys ? Why would Seattle waste an expansion draft pick on a player who will be UFA the week after? It’s essentially wasting a pick unless you know the player will sign .

Seattle isn't going to take any UFAs just to take them. They'll only take one if they sign. We have a couple day window to talk to any UFAs.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
The biggest question for the Devils appears to be who will be the final forward protected between Mikey Mcleod, Andreas Johnsson and Nate Bastian. Bastian seems the mostly likely to be exposed.

PK Subban is also assumed to be exposed. The important thing to note on Subban is that his real dollars would only be $2 million as New Jersey paid his $6 million dollar bonus already, so there is a chance that Seattle could like that selection, especially if they want an "ambassador" as a new franchise.
Yeah, Johnsson most likely be pick then.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

New rule says Seattle has to reimburse the signing bonus on players they take, on account of everything being pushed back to July.

Reactions: mouser and Forge

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
And here's the thing Tampa would still need to move players in addition to what we take.

Like i said Tampa has no choice in this matter. Also Seattle can't be seen to be lowing their price or tampa can easily take advantage of it.

You are making it seem like the Bolts have negative value players. Any GM that wants to improve their team and that has space would easily give picks for Cirelli/Gourde/Palat/Killorn.

Johnson probably isn’t worth much but he’s not a negative value. They can give him away.

Thing is a side deal of Johnson + Foote to Seattle is no different than Seattle straight taking Foote and some team claim Johnson for free.

Last year isn’t this year. They won’t have an issue getting Johnson a home

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Depends on who you take. McDonaugh is exposed and if you take him, which is easily the best player they have exposed. You just solved their cap issue.

In fact they'd be at a cap hit of $74,411,788 after that which gives them $7,088,212 in cap space to work with this offseason. Tampa can absolutely just let you take the best player available and you fix their cap entirely without them having to give up anything else.

Even if they take a prospect then the Bolts simply trade Cirelli/Palat/Gourde/Killorn for some good picks and then waive Johnson (or trade him for a late round pick).

The Bolts have plenty of time and aren’t in any risk of getting screwed.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
The only advantage Seattle is that they can get be the one guaranteed to get Johnson.

A wild card is if the Bolts and Kraken try something pretty fancy. Something like Cirelli + Johnson + pick for someone that the Kraken take and the Kraken retain salary (maybe one of the Flyers players).

Win win for all. Kraken get an ultra long term piece in Cirelli, a top 6 in Johnson, and a pick. Bolts get under the cap and arguably improve their team

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Even if they take a prospect then the Bolts simply trade Cirelli/Palat/Gourde/Killorn for some good picks and then waive Johnson (or trade him for a late round pick).

The Bolts have plenty of time and aren’t in any risk of getting screwed.

They waived Johnson twice and no one took him.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Seattle isn't going to take any UFAs just to take them. They'll only take one if they sign. We have a couple day window to talk to any UFAs.
You don't draft a f/a unless the talent you can take you don't like and/or is overpaid. Say Seattle takes Ryan Murray because they don't want other NJ players. I can see that. But say pick Blake Coleman with the players available off TBL roster? NO WAY. Too many options off TBL roster.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Seattle must salivating over the possibilities

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
They waived Johnson twice and no one took him.

Last year. Different story this year. His play picked up, less COVID concerns, and term is one less.

Not saying he is in Arvidsson territory, but he’s in “give away” territory. Maybe the Bolts can now get a late pick or maybe they have to give one. But it’s nowhere near the problem it was last year

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Last year. Different story this year. His play picked up, less COVID concerns, and term is one less.

Not saying he is in Arvidsson territory, but he’s in “give away” territory. Maybe the Bolts can now get a late pick or maybe they have to give one. But it’s nowhere near the problem it was last year

it doesn't matter. Detroit who could easily afford him didn't even want him... If tampa wanted to get rid of him then they have to pay the team to want to take him.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The only advantage Seattle is that they can get be the one guaranteed to get Johnson.

A wild card is if the Bolts and Kraken try something pretty fancy. Something like Cirelli + Johnson + pick for someone that the Kraken take and the Kraken retain salary (maybe one of the Flyers players).

Win win for all. Kraken get an ultra long term piece in Cirelli, a top 6 in Johnson, and a pick. Bolts get under the cap and arguably improve their team
That would be quite creative, and I like the idea, but I think Tampa letting Cirelli go is unrealistic, as it creates a huge hole they can't replace.

For the same cap savings, they are better off letting Seattle take one of Gourde/Killorn/Palat, and then throw a pick/prospect to one of the bottom feeders to take Johnson off of waivers if he is going to clear.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That would be quite creative, and I like the idea, but I think Tampa letting Cirelli go is unrealistic, as it creates a huge hole they can't replace.

For the same cap savings, they are better off letting Seattle take one of Gourde/Killorn/Palat, and then throw a pick/prospect to one of the bottom feeders to take Johnson off of waivers if he is going to clear.

After clearing waviers twice. i doubt other teams (besides seattle) actually want him. If they seriously want to get rid of him pay us to take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad