Proposal: Sean Monahan for Sam Reinhart

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
To CGY:
RW/ C Sam Reinhart

To BUF:
C Sean Monahan

Both teams need to make changes and find something that works. Monahan holds down the 2nd line in Buffalo with Skinner while Reinhart gets a shot with Gaudreau

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Why on earth? That’s a lateral move at best, if not a downgrade. You want a RH Center? We have one who takes a lot of the face offs for Sean already, his name is Lindholm.

Flames may need a shakeup or an infusion, but they’re not going to make a trade just for the sake of it, any “shakeup” will be done in an attempt to improve the team.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Similar level of production. Monahan is on a good contract for 3yrs but Reinhart is an RFA and younger. Monahan gets a positional advantage.

Id probably favor Monahan slightly in this deal but I can’t see why either team would make the trade. Buffalo gets a little older and has less team control. Calgary gets a bit younger but will pay Reinhart more than 6.5.

To me it comes off as a lateral move either direction.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Some serious overrating of Monahan in this thread. Yes he can score and is a killer in the slot but he is not good defensively, too slow, and just not reliable against top players. I wanna see what a player with higher IQ can do with Johnny, and I really think Reinhart would be a great fit.

Are you guys not watching our core get consistently outmatched by the top players of other top teams? Specifically the Gaudreau Monahan line go completely invisible half the time? It may not seem like a huge upgrade on paper but imo Monahan is dragging Gaudreau down because he can’t hold his own defensively or in transition. Reinhart isn’t the fastest guy but his IQ is probably his best quality and that’s exactly what Johnny needs to find his groove.
Otherwise are we just gonna settle for years of mediocrity because we rely on Monahan as our best center?

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Why on earth? That’s a lateral move at best, if not a downgrade. You want a RH Center? We have one who takes a lot of the face offs for Sean already, his name is Lindholm.

Flames may need a shakeup or an infusion, but they’re not going to make a trade just for the sake of it, any “shakeup” will be done in an attempt to improve the team.

Have u not watched Monahan be invisible for half this season and the playoffs last year? He’s a really good scorer but he is not a 1C and is probably the most overvalued Flame. Gaudreau has so much skill and can create chances and we just need someone smart, consistent, and reliable with him to help Gaudreau be a consistent threat. Reinhart who is on pace for 65+ points in consecutive years and is RH and 24 is exactly that guy imo.

If we don’t move Monahan what is your suggestion for a shakeup that will make us a consistent team? We aren’t gonna be able to add a significant piece without giving up something good, and Monahan is not capable against top competition.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Reinhart
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Dube-Ryan-Lucic
Bennett-Janko-Reider

Two smart players with Johnny will help him be the consistent threat we need to be successful against other food teans

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Some serious overrating of Monahan in this thread. Yes he can score and is a killer in the slot but he is not good defensively, too slow, and just not reliable against top players. I wanna see what a player with higher IQ can do with Johnny, and I really think Reinhart would be a great fit.

Are you guys not watching our core get consistently outmatched by the top players of other top teams? Specifically the Gaudreau Monahan line go completely invisible half the time? It may not seem like a huge upgrade on paper but imo Monahan is dragging Gaudreau down because he can’t hold his own defensively or in transition. Reinhart isn’t the fastest guy but his IQ is probably his best quality and that’s exactly what Johnny needs to find his groove.
Otherwise are we just gonna settle for years of mediocrity because we rely on Monahan as our best center?
You dont like Monahans speed or defensive awareness, but want to replace him with Reinhart?

Reactions: Big guns

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
Monahan (.76 career ppg)(50.4% career faceoff %): Has a better shot than Reinhart, better in the dot, better 200ft player, Better production.

Neutral: They both have similar hands and control.

Reinhart (.64 career ppg)(36.5% career facoff %): Hes slightly faster than Monahan, Right Handed.

I dont see why Calgary does this at all. I mean you are giving up a capable 1C/Very good 2C for a guy we can kinda play C but will most likely be a downgrade and a wing. I mean i like Reinhart and he would probably thrive on a line with Lindholm and Gaudreau, but it will cost you more than Reinhart to get Monahan.

Last edited:

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Equal value wise. Fills a need for Buffalo to be sure, but also creates a larger hole at RW.

Hard to really gauge how the Sabres would look at this. Have nothing on Calgary's take though either.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
You dont like Monahans speed or defensive awareness, but want to replace him with Reinhart?

Have u not watched Monahan this season? He is dragging Johnny down and it’s not like he’s suddenly gonna bounce back and become a good two way player. And ya Reinhart is actually solid two way with good awareness who would be great playing w Johnny and the underlying numbers support it... its like people just see the box score from past seasons and think Monahan has crazy value to our team.

If buffalo had our depth up front and on d they wouldn’t move Reinhart but since they need a 2C this makes sense for them

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
OP is a bigger troll than legit Oiler posters whose entire gimmick is to troll.

It’s like u want the flames to be mediocre forever. Sometimes u gotta take risks to find someone like Reinhart who could be a great fit and bring out the best in Johnny but instead u just wanna stay the course and endure 5 more seasons of Johnny and Money not being able to get it done when it matters.

It’s a matter of our current core not having the tools to compete against other top players... but clearly ur just overrating our assets. Classic person who complains when we don’t take the next step but then gets mad when anyone suggests making a bold move and doesn’t have the foresight to make a change when it is necessary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad