Confirmed with Link: Sean Couturier named 20th captain in Flyers history

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Giving away captains and top 6 centers, seems very Flyers.

Couts and Frost is all we have with nothing coming. If this is a 6 year proper rebuild sure, but it isnt even a 3 year rebuild.
I don’t put too much stock in captains. It’s an honor for the player, but I think truly great leaders (to the point where they can change a team/game) are rare or even virtually nonexistent. The more important thing is not having toxic guys in the locker room. So the fact that he’s a captain means virtually nothing to me. Trade associate captain Laughton too please.

Regarding your 2nd comment, yes we currently only have Coots and Frost, but I’d rather have that money freed up to go get a younger 2C without injury concerns, both for now and definitely for the future.

This is all just a silly discussion anyway though, because nobody is trading for Coots with only 1MM/yr retained unless you attach a first round pick. Especially not given how he has played the last couple months.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It would not shock me if the “advisors” only agreed to hire Briere if he agreed to keep Torts. Maybe he wanted his own guy, it’s hard to say. One thing is certain for me only way we can move forward is when Clarke and his cronies are in the ground.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
All we need now is to learn that the team has had lingering resentment from contract negotiations. If everything is going to be the same it has always been, it may as well go all in.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Just setting up the trade at the draft. Giving him the C was just a thanks for your time here. I'm guessing he'll be a Bruin next season and they win a cup.

• Wow

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Couturier says getting the captaincy was a total surprise. Torts brought it up out of the blue after originally saying they wouldn't have a captain in 23-24.

• Wow

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Just setting up the trade at the draft. Giving him the C was just a thanks for your time here. I'm guessing he'll be a Bruin next season and they win a cup.
I mean that wouldn't be a bad thing. I love Coots but his contract and age don't fit on this team anymore. I don't imagine anyone will take this contract though, especially with all the injuries. Maybe if he plays well and plays a full season this year I could see it at the TDL or Draft next year.

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I hope not, if only because they were sold out of orange jerseys in my size by the time I had the available cash to buy one, and I don't want to miss the chance to have a Couturier jersey with the C on it, since he's my favorite player.

They can trade him at the deadline or next draft.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Couturier says getting the captaincy was a total surprise. Torts brought it up out of the blue after originally saying they wouldn't have a captain in 23-24.

I would love to see this guy get a chance to play somewhere else. Almost feel bad for him at this point.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
He's already told mgmt, if not directly, thru the hiring of Brisson, that he'll attempt to force his way out if he feels it comes to that.

• Wow

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
No one is taking that contract. If he wants out, his only option is a mutual agreement to terminate his contract.

Reactions: TCTC

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
No one is taking that contract. If he wants out, his only option is a mutual agreement to terminate his contract.
6 more years on his contract and he even has a NMC. If anything the Flyers would have to persuade him to accept a move.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If he's enough of a glutton for punishment, he probably can. I don't think Torts will be our head coach by the 26-27 season. (He'll still be with the org, I'm sure, but Shaw will take over as HC by then.)
Torts will be lucky if he makes it through the season. Most of these guys have seen his act now. This time when he pulls his crap, the players won't buy into it and will rebel. And rest assured that Torts will pull some crap. It's what he does. He's not going to change.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Torts will be lucky if he makes it through the season. Most of these guys have seen his act now. This time when he pulls his crap, the players won't buy into it and will rebel. And rest assured that Torts will pull some crap. It's what he does. He's not going to change.
you know theyll get rid of players first right ?

Torts goes nowere but Up...

Reactions: Tarpongg

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Tortorella's not going anywhere. He's also got a nice executive position waiting for him once he retires from coaching. He's with this organization for life.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
While I think this could be the case, in the interviews he gives Couturier seems like he is fully invested in the Flyers mythos and doesn't want to leave unless he really has to.
My read on it is the same. I don't think Couts wants out. But I do think the hiring of Brisson give Couts future leverage in the event something changes. I don't think it was an accident that Brisson was chosen.

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad