Salary Cap: Seabrook / Sharp

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
No Hawks Player has negativ value. Not one. Last was Olesz/Montador.

Sharp is gone in the offseason. Seabrook stays for sure

Bickell is a bizarre case, he could fetch anything from a 2nd to cap dumps that can be assigned to the AHL.

He's the type of player GM's look at and go "wow" maybe he's just not getting enough of an opportunity in Chicago?

I hope he has a monster playoffs so he can pad his value.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
No Hawks Player has negativ value. Not one. Last was Olesz/Montador.

Sharp is gone in the offseason. Seabrook stays for sure
I would almost beg to differ: Rosival. I think this past summer it was impossible to move his geriatric arse off the team.

The reason he's not "negative" is that he's def. not being resigned.

Bickell and Sharp traded is 55M with 17 left to fill 7 spots and that is more than enough to resign Saad, Nordstrom, Kruger and Oduya, that will be 12 with 5 left to fill 3 roster spots. I'm sure the Hawks will let the kids battle for those roles, not to mention will sign some vet willing to take a discount to play here..

Saad, yes. Kruger, if he's cheap enough. Officer Nordberg, maybe.

I highly doubt Oduya's resigned. He'd have to take a substantial paycut that he might not take for a player who is only useful when paired with Hjammer.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Bickell is a bizarre case, he could fetch anything from a 2nd to cap dumps that can be assigned to the AHL.

He's the type of player GM's look at and go "wow" maybe he's just not getting enough of an opportunity in Chicago?

I hope he has a monster playoffs so he can pad his value.

Come on, man. You're trying to tell me there are GMs (who get paid to evaluate/have professional scouts) who would actually be thinking this ****? He's had EVERY opportunity to no be a regular season POS and has failed at every opporunity.

The funniest part about Bickell? He's one of the few "failures" that HAS been given the opportunity (compared to the young guys like Pirri). I think that's obvious to everyone.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I'd entertain offers for both and would be willing to trade both if the right offers came around. Sharp is getting up there in age for a forward, while Seabrook is wildly overrated and extremely inconsistent.

Their money/savings could be better spent elsewhere. This is only if the right offers come along, however.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I think a lot depends on whether BUFFALO gets McDavid...Hawks may pull off a Kane +Crawford +Sharp for McDavid and one of the other two Buffalo firsts in the late 20s and other later picks ...a real blockbuster...

Zero chance that happens.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Come on, man. You're trying to tell me there are GMs (who get paid to evaluate/have professional scouts) who would actually be thinking this ****? He's had EVERY opportunity to no be a regular season POS and has failed at every opporunity.

The funniest part about Bickell? He's one of the few "failures" that HAS been given the opportunity (compared to the young guys like Pirri). I think that's obvious to everyone.

Yes I do believe it. Bowman obviously dished out 4 million for a reason so even he was fooled.

I could see a lot of teams having interest. Dallas, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Boston, Florida and the NY Islanders having interest... Maybe even New Jersey or Washington as well.

GM's and coaches like Bickell for the same reasons they dislike smaller (5-7, 5-8 160 pound) skilled players... Size.

Interestingly enough Bickell has size, a shot and can skate to some extent for a big man.

In theory there is no reason why Bickell shouldn't be productive - he has the tool box, yet he isn't productive (at least in the regular season). A GM or coach could potentially blame the Hawks style for Bickells lack of success.

I suppose it would be foolish to assume no GM or coach wants him.

With that said I think there will be some interest out there for him, and depending on how many teams he could fetch anywhere between a 1st round pick to a cap dump from another team....

If Bickell put up .50 ppg (20 goals, 20 assists) and continued to play physical his contract wouldn't even be that bad.

Also it's not like the Hawks havent had a record of producing successful players over the past several seasons - Hayes', Pirri, Leddy, Olson, Byfuglien, Ladd etc...

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
I think a lot depends on whether BUFFALO gets McDavid...Hawks may pull off a Kane +Crawford +Sharp for McDavid and one of the other two Buffalo firsts in the late 20s and other later picks ...a real blockbuster..But I do not think the Hawks do that for EICHEL if Buffalo loses the lottery and drops to 2nd overall.. If the Hawks cannot pull that off or something big like that for McDavid and solve the 2C problem for the next15+ years (and the only team
who might do that is Buffalo because of the hometown Kane connection plus other playing Now assets ) then it is probably both Sharp and Seabrook going...
I do favor Seabrook going anyway because he really has slowed up in his skating and reaction times already...I do not think he earned his $5.9 million per this year and I would be loathe to raise that to keep him extended after next year anyway...IF and I said If he has as high a trade value of at least a first and a second ...you get that NOW ..not after a further decline on his play next year where he might fall off a cliff ...He could of course drop weight this summer and go on a conditioning program to get speed and agility back ...but if he does not...what does he bring...not a top goal scoring dman..not great on the PP. ..and slower than he ever was and doing nothing to rectify it..So too many red flags to keep him and cost more on your cap ...Best if Hawks win another Cup this year because values increase for that and he would be a 3 time winner...but the eyeball test of his game is that he is not worth a cap cost of nearly $6 mil the way he played this year and nothing says he will get back his speed and agility (which was never great to begin with) to the degree he had it in his younger NHL days...So if he has value ...get value back now before it dissipates further as his effectiveness declines further ..

As to Sharp...he too fell off a cliff this year..At 34 starting next season he too could be a diminishing production asset ...Still some teams looking for a vet scorer with at least 2 Cups who may have 3-4 years of good production remaining in him ....might bet he has a bounce-back year next season especially with a change of scenery.. I think he could still bring back a first rounder in the late teens to late 20s from the right trading partner if he fits their situation ...but his salary and cap hit also limits the options for trade partners seeking such a player...
.Obviously Buffalo will look to re-stock and get over the floor even if they keep McDavid or EICHEL...Arizona has to spend to ensure they get over the floor ...so you have clubs who could take on such cap ...but they have to see such assets we trade to them as helping them and not just doing us a cap relief favor. ...else we do not get as much back...The best scenario would be Hawks win the Cup again and the values of Sharp Seabrook and Crawford all rise ...OR that one big hockey deal where the old Kane to Buffalo dream (for both) is realized..Not that I want to deal Kane ...but at least for 3 years we would get a cheap McDavid ..But if he is the generational franchise Centre all think he is then you do it..Easier to get a good skilled winger than a top Centre. BUFFALO could think that way also but still the hometown hero who was leading the NHL in scoring when he got injured is something for Buffalo to chew on in some bigger kind of package deal.

Are you high?? Hawks aren't trading kane, how is this still a thing?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Chris Pronger? That does nothing for the Flyers or the Hawks. This isn't a Horton situation where the contract is uninsured. It's completely irrelevant.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Think you gotta start moving Hossa down the lineup next year and expect him to be a decent 2RW and a 3RW thereafter.

Just a general statement when people discuss the depth of the top 6.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Think you gotta start moving Hossa down the lineup next year and expect him to be a decent 2RW and a 3RW thereafter.

I understand what you are saying but Kane is the 1RW, and Toews is the 1C, it's just that they are broken up. That seems to be Q's preference and he always can put them together if they need a jump start. I feel like Q likes having that in his back pocket. But Hossa playing on Toews wing is essentially the 2nd RW. I don't think he'd go to 3, at least not next year.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Yes I do believe it. Bowman obviously dished out 4 million for a reason so even he was fooled.

I could see a lot of teams having interest. Dallas, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Boston, Florida and the NY Islanders having interest... Maybe even New Jersey or Washington as well.

GM's and coaches like Bickell for the same reasons they dislike smaller (5-7, 5-8 160 pound) skilled players... Size.

Interestingly enough Bickell has size, a shot and can skate to some extent for a big man.

In theory there is no reason why Bickell shouldn't be productive - he has the tool box, yet he isn't productive (at least in the regular season). A GM or coach could potentially blame the Hawks style for Bickells lack of success.

I suppose it would be foolish to assume no GM or coach wants him.

With that said I think there will be some interest out there for him, and depending on how many teams he could fetch anywhere between a 1st round pick to a cap dump from another team....

If Bickell put up .50 ppg (20 goals, 20 assists) and continued to play physical his contract wouldn't even be that bad.

Also it's not like the Hawks havent had a record of producing successful players over the past several seasons - Hayes', Pirri, Leddy, Olson, Byfuglien, Ladd etc...

I don't disagree with what you said here. If Bickell can have a solid playoffs, then someone may bite. Your original post however, made it sound like Bickell wasn't given an opportunity to succeed here. THAT simply isn't true (if you didn't mean it like that then I aplogize).

zac

Apr 29, 2009

I thought they should have done that this season when he got off to that horrid start. Surprisingly he's been better as the season's progressed (when considering his age), but I think he would be the perfect 2nd/3rd line hybrid, with his defensive prowess making for a tremendous third line player as his offensive skills diminish.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I thought they should have done that this season when he got off to that horrid start. Surprisingly he's been better as the season's progressed (when considering his age), but I think he would be the perfect 2nd/3rd line hybrid, with his defensive prowess making for a tremendous third line player as his offensive skills diminish.

If your saying Kane with Toews, ok, I get it. But it seems to me that Q doesn't want them on the same line. So given that, if Toews is 1C then Kane is 2RW, where would you put Hossa? If not with Toews,, who would you put there?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That seems low, unless it's a bridge for 2-3 years.

I still think Sharp is likely to go in addition to Bickell. Even with removing Sharp, you'd have Toews, Kane, Hossa, Saad and TT in your top 5 which is pretty strong.

I really don't think 4.5mil for Saad is low. He is currently a 50pt player and is an RFA. He doesn't have a whole lot of leverage in negotiations. I do believe it will be a 3 or 4 year deal, but the kid isn't going to make 6mil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad