Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] F Eeli Tolvanen re-signs with the Kraken (2 years, $3.475M AAV)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
A nice, palatable deal for the Kraken. Since coming to Seattle, Tolvanen is:

129 GP, 32 Goals, 36 Assists, 68 Points on around 15 minutes of ice a game.

That's a 20 goal, 43 points third liner who can play on the PP and despite being short will throw his body around...for his age 25 and 26 seasons. It's frankly a bit below market value for this player type but since it is only 2 years, Tolvanen will have a chance to cash in again by his age 27 season. Not sure if he will be an UFA or RFA still at that point?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

That's a 20 goal, 43 points third liner who can play on the PP and despite being short will throw his body around...for his age 25 and 26 seasons. It's frankly a bit below market value for this player type but since it is only 2 years, Tolvanen will have a chance to cash in again by his age 27 season. Not sure if he will be an UFA or RFA still at that point?
I'm a big Tolvanen fan. Had mentioned a few times during the end of the season / off season that I'd have loved for the Devils to make a run at him to round out the team a little more.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

He will be 27 at the conclusion of this deal, so I believe it walks him right to UFA status.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
My big takeaway from this signing is it appears the Kraken will not be signing Beniers to an 8 year deal, they just won't have the cap space to give him the 7.5-8 M per cap hit it would take.

JD86

Feb 29, 2024
They're hoping last year was an anomaly and not the year before. The points look okay, but I thought he stunk in most of the games I caught last year. Worth the gamble

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
My big takeaway from this signing is it appears the Kraken will not be signing Beniers to an 8 year deal, they just won't have the cap space to give him the 7.5-8 M per cap hit it would take.
It looks like they have about $6.25M left under the cap for this coming season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That contract would be an enormous waste of money/cap for Seattle. He'll be better but unless you expect a guy to bust out and be a point per game performer, there's no need to get ahead of it with a contract like that.

JD86

Feb 29, 2024
They should be.
Why? Tolvanen wasn't very good last year. For instance: Keifer Sherwood had 2 fewer 5 on 5 points than him last year in way less ice time and the Preds let Sherwood walk. And it's not like Tolvanen was anything special on the power play either.

Waiving him wasn't smart at the time given the state of the team in Nashville, but I'd bet money the Preds wouldn't pick him up off waivers at 3.5 per now.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Why? Tolvanen wasn't very good last year. For instance: Keifer Sherwood had 2 fewer 5 on 5 points than him last year in way less ice time and the Preds let Sherwood walk. And it's not like Tolvanen was anything special on the power play either.

Waiving him wasn't smart at the time given the state of the team in Nashville, but I'd bet money the Preds wouldn't pick him up off waivers at 3.5 per now.
There is a lot more too it than point totals. Sherwood was basically worthless if he didn't put points up, made some stupid plays, etc which is why he isn't back. Tolvanen would fit in pretty well with the style Brunette wants to play I think, and has a two way game ( which Trotz would like ).

It was a dumb decision by Poile, one that didn't need to be made, he had other options besides waiving him. We definitely could have used him last season, I mean we were playing Jankowski in a top 6 spot.

Reactions: mattihp

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Of course they are. I'll have what you're smoking please

The glazing of this guy is insane.

40 points and 15:00 ice time per game.

Seattle fans will tell you he wasn’t particularly good last year, lots have him penciled in on the 4th line for upcoming season.

Pretty replaceable and forgettable player

Reactions: JD86

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad