Waived: [SEA] Cale Fleury waived by the Kraken

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Can't beleive this guy naver made the NHL he was really good with the Habs, the reason why The Kraken as picked him.

Reactions: mattihp

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
What he said ^

Never understood why some of my fellow Habs fans were so upset when SEA picked him.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
He showed some promise, and that's why he was picked, but he didn't show that he was an NHL player, just a better prospect than we thought at draft time. I would say he did ok, but clearly he didn't keep his rapid upwards trajectory. Not very surprising.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What he said ^

Never understood why some of my fellow Habs fans were so upset when SEA picked him.

Was very solid as a rookie in the AHL and decent enough in the NHL as a 21 years old.

Definitely didn't appreciate being sent down and did a lot worse than his AHL rookie season.

Didn't play much in the Covid season and then was taken by the Kraken.

That woke him up for the AHL, but he never took a step forward in his ability to play more than replacement level defense in the NHL.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Was very solid as a rookie in the AHL and decent enough in the NHL as a 21 years old.

Definitely didn't appreciate being sent down and did a lot worse than his AHL rookie season.

Didn't play much in the Covid season and then was taken by the Kraken.

That woke him up for the AHL, but he never took a step forward in his ability to play more than replacement level defense in the NHL.

I don't think it is fair to say that he didn't show the ability to play in the NHL when he was never really given a chance. He literally was given less than 6 minutes in preseason games before being waived the last couple of years. Seattle then used him strictly as injury replacement only, but their D has been ridiculously healthy since they came into the league. The games that he did play he was actually not bad at all.

He plays a safe, smart game. He breaks the puck out well and skates decently. There is no dynamic offensive side to his game, so he is what he is, but teams could do a lot worse having him playing a defensive role as a 6/7 guy that won't really hurt you when he is on the ice. He also plays a bit physical and can PK.

Problem is that he is now behind Larsson, Montour, and Borgen on the right side, and Seattle also has Oleksiak who can play the defensive D role, so Fleury is fairly redundant. Someone that could use a defensive RHD should take a flyer on him, he'd be a good pickup imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad