Proposal: Schmaltz+Korenar for Sissons+Ingram

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Reading the Coyotes board seems like a stealth cap dump of Schmaltz.
Schmaltz is struggling in AZ. He’s shown flashes, sometimes for weeks, of being a top line talent. But he also goes quiet for long stretches. And so far this season, he’s done more than gone quiet, he’s turning the puck over and making mistakes. The fanbase is frustrated with him. Arizona paid a huge acquisition cost for him for a reason and signed him to a big contract for a reason.

When he’s on his game, he’s an excellent transition center, with speed through the neutral zone, who excels at controlled zone entries and is a dual-threat offensive center in the zone. You can tell when he’s playing the right way, because he’s more direct and goes inside. He piles up points in this state, and is actually a decent puckhound, and racks up takeaways.

When he’s off his game, he’s all about huge looping circles, and indecision on the perimeter. He becomes passive, and then the turnovers pile up. This is when the fans get very frustrated.

He’s spent most of his time in Arizona under the utterly incompetent Rick Tocchet, who was a complete disaster for all young players on the team. We are finally seeing what Keller and Crouse can look like when unshackled from Tocchet. Schmaltz continues to struggle. Perhaps it’s the lack of talent, all the new faces, new system, I’m not sure.

Whatever it is, it may be time for a change of scenery. I do maintain a belief that he’ll be better elsewhere. That’s typical of Coyotes players in recent years. He’s young and talented, and getting out of AZ usually does wonders for guys like this.

All of that is to say, he’s not without warts and this would be somewhat of a gamble for Nashville. It’s higher risk and higher reward than just hanging onto Sissons.

For Arizona, I think Sissons makes sense because he’s cheaper and gives them more flexibility. Also, they’re undergoing an identity change. The new GM wants a tougher, harder working team. The Coyotes have lost every game this season and by the average score of 2 goals to 5.5 goals. They need some more “Steady-Eddie” players like Sissons to get things under control. It’s not the 2GF that worries me as much as the 5.5GA.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Nashville gets more talent up the middle and Arizona continues to scramble for some solution to the goaltending tire-fire.

I feel like Nashville needs to add a pick or a prospect. But I’m an AZ fan and it may be that I’m just being a homer on that.

Thoughts? Insults?
Schmaltz isn’t a 1C and has a long contract, I feel like Nashville has several guys already who fit that description. And he doesn’t score goals, which is what Nashville needs. (Not a Preds fan though.)

Reactions: themelkman

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Was gonna say, was just browsing new posts and he was getting hard core thrashed on yotes board.
See above.

We were also being our boiling point with OEL. But most of us were sure he’d be great in Vancouver. Even if we just couldn’t stand him in AZ and longer. This isn’t exactly the same but it isn’t exactly different.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Schmaltz isn’t a 1C and has a long contract, I feel like Nashville has several guys already who fit that description. And he doesn’t score goals, which is what Nashville needs. (Not a Preds fan though.)
Can we expand the deal by adding Kessel with 50% addition retention (down to 3.4aav)? He’s a goal scorer. Was on pace for 28g per 82gp last season, on a garbage AZ team.

Maybe Nashville just adds a pick or prospect?

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Yikes... $5 years at $5.85 million per for a floater? That hardly seems like Nashville's kind of move since they're a pretty hardworking team (plus they already have Duchene statistically underperforming).

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Can we expand the deal by adding Kessel with 50% addition retention (down to 3.4aav)? He’s a goal scorer. Was on pace for 28g per 82gp last season, on a garbage AZ team.

Maybe Nashville just adds a pick or prospect?
I’m not a Nashville fan so I don’t their exact needs but I assume they don’t have high hopes for this season to the point where they would be particularly interested in renting UFA Kessel.

Nashville has a lot of rugged long bad forward deals and I don’t know if they would want to commit to yet another one, though I get that Schmaltz has some upside that could make that deal better and Simmons deal is a bit rough too.

Nashville is definitely in a weird purgatory, they kept Ekholm so they might be doing a “reset” which will involve “being competitive” while trading Forberg. That will make it harder to guess their moves than a more aggressive fire sale. Schmaltz is tough to move with five years though, if he’s really struggling. And Sissons is cheap enough that it doesn’t matter that much how long his deal is at this point, they aren’t capped out.

I get thought process here.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
We already have a pretty full compliment of centers that aren't producing up to their potential. I don't really see Schmaltz playing in a bottom 6 role effectively, and between Johansen, Duchene, Granlund, and Glass (when he comes back up) our top 6 C depth is pretty full. Sissons also doesn't have anything like Schmaltz's offensive upside, but he is very effective in his bottom 6 role and kind of embodies the style of play the Preds are looking to build around.

Also don't think we're too keen on trading Ingram after having managed to successfully slip him through waivers. Provided he keep his head on straight this season I expect him and Saros will be our goalies until Askarov comes over.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
We don't need a cap dump. Yet. Maybe our team will fall off far enough this year that we could choose to weaponize our cap space this way. It's not impossible. But then you're talking like a 1st pick to take on a contract like Schmaltz, and obviously Arizona isn't in that game.

There's nothing about this that interests me as a Preds fan. Sissons is a solid player, not flashy, but he fills his role well. Our problems are definitely elsewhere in our lineup. No need to take on somebody else's problems, meanwhile.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Yo what abt this trade

Kunin for Schmaltz straight up?
I don’t hate it. But Arizona needs a center, rather than a winger. I like Kunin okay, I guess, but he’s a winger.

If we can’t get Sissons for Schmaltz, I might see if Pittsburgh would give us Blueger, maybe? Don’t think the cap works for them. Maybe they retain on Blueger and add Pettersson to even it up? I don’t know…

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I guess the main question is: do Coyotes fans see Schmaltz as a pure contract dump/negative value asset or not? It seems like he must be getting close to that, given his contract? And if so, why do you think we'd give up a player we like for him?
:dunno:

Schmaltz I wouldn't take for free.

The nice thing about Kessel is that his contract is expiring. I'd take him... though certainly not for Kunin. And if you were looking at moving him as a rental with retention, I would have thought you could get a better deal in a deadline scenario from a contender than you would be able to look for from the Preds? :dunno:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I guess the main question is: do Coyotes fans see Schmaltz as a pure contract dump/negative value asset or not? It seems like he must be getting close to that, given his contract? And if so, why do you think we'd give up a player we like for him?
:dunno:

Schmaltz I wouldn't take for free.

The nice thing about Kessel is that his contract is expiring. I'd take him... though certainly not for Kunin. And if you were looking at moving him as a rental with retention, I would have thought you could get a better deal in a deadline scenario from a contender than you would be able to look for from the Preds? :dunno:
I thought you all were down on Kunin? I honestly included both Kunin and Sissions as pieces you might not value very highly. Like 3rd rounders, kinda thing. Switch him for Cousins, maybe? Sissons and Cousins?

As for Schmaltz, he’s floundering here. His contract is scary, given how he’s trending. In all honesty, he’s probably the most skilled guy on the team other than Keller and Kessel. And I really do think he can be a player, elsewhere. He’s had prolonged stretches in AZ where he was the best forward on the team.

When he simplifies his game, skates in straight lines, and goes inside, he’s worth his contract. When he’s off his game, he’s going on leisure cruises in wide looping circles all over the ice, becomes pass happy from the perimeter, and can be a liability. It’s really as simple as that. He has two distinct ways of playing and they’re so apparent.

When he plays the one way, he’s a great 2nd line center. Top-notch transition play, elite controlled zone entry metrics, dual threat offense in the slot, and hounds pucks for turnovers in the neutral zone, using his excellent skating and sneaky stick work. He’s the 2nd line center you want.

When he plays the other way, he looks like a KHL all-star. The type of dude who achieves legendary status overseas and nobody can figure out why he never made it work in the NHL. The answer is failure to play an effective north/south game with consistent pace.

I think he can salvage this. Really I do. No BS. But I don’t think it’s going to happen here. If it was going to happen, it would be right now. New coach and half the roster turned over. But guys like him seem to flourish as soon as they leave Arizona. Look at Duclair, Domi, Garland, OEL and the list goes on and on. I think it’s actually quite likely Schmaltz would join that group.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I thought you all were down on Kunin? I honestly included both Kunin and Sissions as pieces you might not value very highly. Like 3rd rounders, kinda thing. Switch him for Cousins, maybe? Sissons and Cousins?

As for Schmaltz, he’s floundering here. His contract is scary, given how he’s trending. In all honesty, he’s probably the most skilled guy on the team other than Keller and Kessel. And I really do think he can be a player, elsewhere. He’s had prolonged stretches in AZ where he was the best forward on the team.

When he simplifies his game, skates in straight lines, and goes inside, he’s worth his contract. When he’s off his game, he’s going on leisure cruises in wide looping circles all over the ice, becomes pass happy from the perimeter, and can be a liability. It’s really as simple as that. He has two distinct ways of playing and they’re so apparent.

When he plays the one way, he’s a great 2nd line center. Top-notch transition play, elite controlled zone entry metrics, dual threat offense in the slot, and hounds pucks for turnovers in the neutral zone, using his excellent skating and sneaky stick work. He’s the 2nd line center you want.

When he plays the other way, he looks like a KHL all-star. The type of dude who achieves legendary status overseas and nobody can figure out why he never made it work in the NHL. The answer is failure to play an effective north/south game with consistent pace.

I think he can salvage this. Really I do. No BS. But I don’t think it’s going to happen here. If it was going to happen, it would be right now. New coach and half the roster turned over. But guys like him seem to flourish as soon as they leave Arizona. Look at Duclair, Domi, Garland, OEL and the list goes on and on. I think it’s actually quite likely Schmaltz would join that group.
I'm not aware of anybody being down on Sissons or Kunin. :dunno:

Slow start for Kunin, but I think we all like him. He plays in the dirty areas and has a little upside still. But hey, the whole team has had a slow start, basically. Anybody "down on Kunin" is probably the kind of poster who panics a little too easily, of which every fanbase has a few? :dunno:

A lot of what you are saying about Schmaltz remains me of what we were saying about Kyle Turris. Granted, Schmaltz is still younger. But I don't think we have any need to roll dice on players in that category. We seem to have quite a good group of young forwards coming up, no need to gamble on rejects from other teams.

I wouldn't trade Sissons for a 2nd or Kunin for a 1st at this point. They are players I'd like to keep.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad