Series Talk: SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

Who will win Game 7

• Edmonton

Votes: 263 75.1%
  • Florida

Votes: 87 24.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Series is done.

Don't see the Panthers finding a way now. McDavid is determined to win his cup and the Panthers can't get out of their own way.

What a f***ing way to blow it. These guys really just have to become the ultimate losers, don't they?

How long before the franchise relocates?
Far from done brother. That 3rd period Panthers push was pretty wild.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Let me say up front I think Florida still wins the series because of the enormity of coming back from a 3-0 deficit.

That said, the pressure is shifting not just because of the fact it is now 3-2, but because of how.

In game 4, the pressure was on the Oilers to not get swept on their home ice. They rose to that in a big way, and the Panthers played like they didn't really care (somewhat understandable). Still, 8-1 is a statement, especially on the backs of almost giving up a 4-1 lead in the third period the game before.

Game 5 was obviously a must win for the Oilers, but they were on the road and for the Panthers, they wanted to win at home plus avoid going back to Edmonton. After about the first 5 minutes, the Panthers looked tight. To their credit, once they scored, they looked like they loosened up but the looked like a team on the short end of an 8-1 score prior to that.

I think the pressure is more on the Panthers in game 6. They do not want to get in a "best of 1" after getting up 3-0, and need to shake off getting outscored 15-4 since their peak. If that 15-4 was something more like 9-6 or 5-2, it would be less daunting. The question is whether that is in their heads.

To their credit, they did make a game of it last night when they could have been run out of the arena for the second straight night, so they have that going for them.

Edmonton's challenge is coming back for a 3-0 hole is draining. It's about like coming back from a 6-2 deficit in a game, the team expends so much mental and physical energy they often can't finish the job if they manage to tie the game. In their favor is not only the 15-4 thing, but the face that they have gone from needing to win 4 straight against a good team to now only needing to win 2.

I guess we will see 1) if the Panthers can build on the fact they put a dent in what was a 13-1 run to crawl back into the game last night or it was their last gasp, and 2) whether Edmonton can sustain the momentum of that run, whether they revert back to what got them into the 3-0 hole to begin with, and whether they can prepare for a third (and maybe fourth) consecutive must-win game.

An observation from last night is that both teams controlled the center of the ice in front of both nets during their hot streaks. While the Oilers were building their 4-1 lead, they were moving well in the middle of the ice from the slot to the blue line in the Panthers end, and not allowing Florida to do the same in the Oiler end. Once the Panthers started their comeback, they jammed the middle of their own end like they had 7 skaters and were getting skating room in the same area of the Oiler end. It is kinda obvious that if a team can control those areas, they will almost always control the play but last night it seemed almost extreme throughout the game.

Or maybe I was seeing things.

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Florida dominated Game 2. Games 1 and 3 could have easily gone the Oilers way but so could have Game 5 to Florida.
Overall, it's an even series between the two best teams in the league.

Yeah, McDavid has it on lock pretty much. When you're on a top 5 list (playoff points) littered with Gretzky and Lemeiux, you're winning the Smythe regardless.
Best two teams? I am not sure of that. Sort of like March Madness, they won the Playoff Tourney and will be crowned Champs, no doubt. But, alot of luck goes into it as well. The path to the Finals and some opportune wins by other teams can make a huge difference.

FLA is a good team, but Tampa was a Godsend match for them. As for TAM, FLA was THE worst opening round. Great matchup for FLA, horrible for Tampa (not saying TAM is among the best, way too many flaws). Would FLA done as well against a TOR?

EDM definitely has flaws. Did a great job winning, but it has been an adventure.

DAL has a hell of a team.
COL is tough top to bottom
NYR had a nice lineup, if they reduced the number of modeling gigs they may have had a shot.
VAN, a bit streaky for me, but a lot of talent.
CAR, I thought they had the best roster.

All these teams had over 105 points. EDM had the least at 104! So, I am not sure you can say the 2 best teams.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
As brilliant as McDavid has been, I think I Skinner is huge these past 2 games. He's made superior saves and very timely!

Also, shout out to Broberg. He's playing like a poised vet in all 3 zones and has steadied the inconsistent Nurse.

Why do you keep posting this?
He's trying like hell to get the 478th "like"

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I don’t think everyone thought that. McDavid is a generational player for a reason.

I definitely felt once Knoblauch was so badly overplaying him as well as Draisatl/Bouchard late in the periods of games 1-2-3 it basically ended any chance that they could come back since I was thinking they'd be gassed by any possible game 6-7 and I guess its still possible they might be

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I wonder if they would insert Kane for Foegle if Kane is 75%. Otherwise.. keep it rolling

Maurice simply has to give up on the Okposo thing and probably would have benefitted from a 4th line of Lomberg, Stenlund and Cousins and give them 8-10 minutes of hounding the Oilers.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Series is done.

Don't see the Panthers finding a way now. McDavid is determined to win his cup and the Panthers can't get out of their own way.

What a f***ing way to blow it. These guys really just have to become the ultimate losers, don't they?

How long before the franchise relocates?
Why is it seen as "Florida blowing it" rather than "yeah a 3-2 series between these two teams sounds about right"? Florida isn't magically going to become a 10x better team just because they have a 3-0 series lead.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Edmonton may still lose this series.

It is comical though how Panthers fans were stating Barkov & Forsling were going to shut 97 down.

Mcdavid is a cheat code. It was the same way with mario in the 90s. You can hope to contain him to a certain extent but you can't completely shut him down... especially with how hard it has become to defend these days.

Anyways, just because Florida lost a couple games in a row doesn't mean they are no longer the favourites to take the series, but I mentioned back when it was 3-0 that this series could still go 6 games based on what I saw and here we are.

I suspected those who were thinking that Florida is just unbeatable when it was 3-0 were in for a possible awakening, but we also need reminding that Florida remains in a good spot.

I'd love to see Paul Maurice crying if they lose again. That would be 3 straight losses for him in the final, and what a collapse this will be.

3 straight? I think this is the 2nd in a row.... unless you are taking about his career as a whole... then you include 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad