OT: Scandy's Rave Party: The Fun Never Stops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What do you want them to do BUT improve graphics??

There is almost no way to improve the concept or experience of consoles at this point.

There has to be something new available, look at what Nintendo did with the Switch. I imagine that VR is the next step forward for video games, but I imagine there has to be something more than higher graphics and more processing power. Then again, that's also a responsibility of video game companies to put out something new that requires a revolutionary idea for the console.

Also I just saw that an XBox 1S Digital with 3 games (Minecraft is one I'd play) is $160 at Walmart. Honestly, I may have to buy that just so I can play NHL 20.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Switch didn't move the industry needle....did it??? It made an initial splash but...seems as irrelevant as every Nintendo product, post launch.

VR is next. But...it's in a bit of a middle ground still. I'm sure Microsoft isn't investing in it yet because of their debacle in Kinect. The VR tech, overall, isn't cheap or ubiquitous enough yet to bundle into a console with any hope of keeping it below $1000.

Which....if you want that sort of gaming experience, you might as well forego console and go computer.

Consoles are cheap, easy fun. Not tech demos.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Switch didn't move the industry needle....did it??? It made an initial splash but...seems as irrelevant as every Nintendo product, post launch.

The needle is on a different continent than it was on a few years ago, and I say that as someone who has been pissed off by almost every Nintendo 'innovation' for the 2 decades preceding the Switch.

VR will never take over gaming. Too many people either can't handle VR or don't have the room for it to ever be bigger than a niche from a gaming POV. VR's future is more as a training tool than a gaming device...there will be games, but developers and publishers aren't going to spend more to limit their audience for major games.

Computers will always be the most powerful option to play games, and the lamest f***ing way possible to do so :nod:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I hate the idea of VR being the future. For me, personally, it gives me unbelievable motion sickness. Insta-migraine/nausea every single time.

Probably the half a dozen concussions still being the gift that keeps on giving.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I assume VR will make me horribly sick, but I have to merely assume because I'd need to move up about half a dozen tax brackets to be able to afford a living space large enough for VR in LA.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Wait. Explain how switch moved the needle.

It isn't more affordable. It didn't have better graphics. It can be portable but for 90% of buyers I'm sure it sits in the dock.

What does Sony or Microsoft have to respond to other than not having access to the Nintendo properties (smash, Mario, Zelda, etc)?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I assume VR will make me horribly sick, but I have to merely assume because I'd need to move up about half a dozen tax brackets to be able to afford a living space large enough for VR in LA.

If you spend enough time in VR you _will_ get sick. That is the thing. No one is immune from it and it feels f***ing awful.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Wait. Explain how switch moved the needle.

It isn't more affordable. It didn't have better graphics. It can be portable but for 90% of buyers I'm sure it sits in the dock.

What does Sony or Microsoft have to respond to other than not having access to the Nintendo properties (smash, Mario, Zelda, etc)?

How many games have been/are being ported to the Switch compared to other post-SNES Nintendo consoles? Obsidian announced a Switch port of The Outer Worlds half a year after being bought by Microsoft.

For me and a lot of people I know the Switch is the preferred way to play a game for one simple reason: I can play it on the go. If you do any amount of travel that's huge. You say 90% of buyers keep it in the dock, but it's the opposite for the people I know.

The fact that Nintendo had the Black Friday they just had despite having literal garbage for deals is also quite telling.

Sony and Microsoft have nothing to respond to because they compete for a different market, more or less, and have for a while now. The difference between this one and Nintendo's last two consoles is that the Switch offers significant reasons to play a Nintendo console other than Nintendo games. I've outright hated or ignored every Nintendo console after the SNES until the Switch, and the Switch is absolutely my prefered way to play most games now. The era of console wars is clearly in the past now and the future isn't 3 companies fighting over proportions of the same pie. The big desire right now seems to be the ability to play on any platform, and I absolutely think you can thank the millions of re-purchased games on the Switch for that becoming sort of a thing. Games are always the most important thing a platform can offer, so Nintendo getting a steady stream of the games I want to play for the first time since the SNES represents a pretty big move to me. The attach rate on the Switch is going to shatter the record by the time it's done. It eclipsed the Wii's attach rate by its 2nd birthday and was on pace to break the Master System's record sometime next year the last I heard.

I think we're seeing a big shift to being able to play anywhere and subscription services, and they're both responses to failures as is often the case in this industry. The companies that eat dirt the hardest in the previous generation typically define the next generation, and no console has eaten dirt harder than the Wii U did since the Saturn.

If you spend enough time in VR you _will_ get sick. That is the thing. No one is immune from it and it feels ****ing awful.

Yeah, and that's the fatal flaw of it as a gaming device. No matter how healthy and rich you are, if you spend a little too long in VR you are going to feel the effects of it. At the end of the day you're f***ing with your equilibrium and the only way around that is completely accurate motion simulation, which...yeah, no.

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
How many games have been/are being ported to the Switch compared to other post-SNES Nintendo consoles? Obsidian announced a Switch port of The Outer Worlds half a year after being bought by Microsoft.

For me and a lot of people I know the Switch is the preferred way to play a game for one simple reason: I can play it on the go. If you do any amount of travel that's huge. You say 90% of buyers keep it in the dock, but it's the opposite for the people I know.

The fact that Nintendo had the Black Friday they just had despite having literal garbage for deals is also quite telling.

Sony and Microsoft have nothing to respond to because they compete for a different market, more or less, and have for a while now. The difference between this one and Nintendo's last two consoles is that the Switch offers significant reasons to play a Nintendo console other than Nintendo games. I've outright hated or ignored every Nintendo console after the SNES until the Switch, and the Switch is absolutely my preferred way to play most games now. The era of console wars is clearly in the past now and the future isn't 3 companies fighting over proportions of the same pie. The big desire right now seems to be the ability to play on any platform, and I absolutely think you can thank the millions of re-purchased games on the Switch for that becoming sort of a thing. Games are always the most important thing a platform can offer, so Nintendo getting a steady stream of the games I want to play for the first time since the SNES represents a pretty big move to me. The attach rate on the Switch is going to shatter the record by the time it's done. It eclipsed the Wii's attach rate by its 2nd birthday and was on pace to break the Master System's record sometime next year the last I heard.

I think we're seeing a big shift to being able to play anywhere and subscription services, and they're both responses to failures as is often the case in this industry. The companies that eat dirt the hardest in the previous generation typically define the next generation, and no console has eaten dirt harder than the Wii U did since the Saturn.

Yeah, and that's the fatal flaw of it as a gaming device. No matter how healthy and rich you are, if you spend a little too long in VR you are going to feel the effects of it. At the end of the day you're ****ing with your equilibrium and the only way around that is completely accurate motion simulation, which...yeah, no.

Yeah, haha... it is horrible.
You traveled lately, did you get sea sick?
Did anyone here ever get sea sick?

I went on a cruise to Bermuda a few years ago and I got siiiiiiiiiick asssssss f***! I never thought I would get sea sick, but let me tell you, it is the worst possible feeling you can imagine and it doesn't just go away when you stop moving.
The VERY FIRST DAY I got on the cruise ship I got sick and Dramamine does not work after you are already sea sick, FYI.
I suffered the entire cruise and I had to force myself to have fun and drink which made it even worse.

Years later I joined the Navy, knowing I get horribly sea sick, go figure. Luckily, I never even saw a navy ship during my service. I flew in the navy and never touched the water.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
You traveled lately, did you get sea sick?

I had one rough day at sea out of 15, which was better than expected.

The things that make me motion sick are seemingly random. The cab ride to the cruise port made me sicker than the cruise did. Star Tours will make me far sicker than any roller coaster. Cars and buses tend to be murder on me, yet trains & planes are generally completely fine.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I had one rough day at sea out of 15, which was better than expected.

The things that make me motion sick are seemingly random. The cab ride to the cruise port made me sicker than the cruise did. Star Tours will make me far sicker than any roller coaster. Cars and buses tend to be murder on me, yet trains & planes are generally completely fine.
I feel for you with the vehicle issues.
I wouldn't believe it, but I saw first hand people get vehicle sick.
My wife vomits every.single.time. we get on the highway. But she is also from a turd world country and isn't brought up traveling in vehicles everywhere you go like we are in the states.
Dramamine helps her, but she still gets ill in vehicles on the highway and with the stop and go traffic. It was funny at first, but 100's of times later I just get frustrated knowing whenever we go far enough in the car I will have to listen to her retching and smell her stomach contents inevitably.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
nice aliens nod by mandalorian. And...yeah.

So what the f*** was 6 underground. Jesus Christ why is Michael Bay allowed to make anything anymore.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
nice aliens nod by mandalorian. And...yeah.

So what the **** was 6 underground. Jesus Christ why is Michael Bay allowed to make anything anymore.

For 'splosions. Why else.

When he was filming Transformers 2, the worst movie of the decade... it was in DC when I lived there and I drove to the set to watch them film. It was the most boring thing I ever witnessed. BUT I did get to take pictures of all the transformer vehicles they used on the set. That was really cool. I have those pictures on my 3gs and forgot all about them. I'll dig that phone out and upload them one day this week. Got some real cool pictures of set and vehicles.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
So the new Xbox Series X will have native 4k support they claim.

Yeeeeeeah right! Get out of here with that nonsense. What will the resolution be 800x600 at 10 fps on very low settings?

Even top end gaming pc's struggle to hit 60fps on a decent resolution and ultra settings at 4k.

Why don't they just put out 1080p/60fps on ultra settings? Consoles can barely do that today, yet they will handle 4k next gen? Get out of here with that gimmick.
1080/60 ultra settings is more than good enough for gaming. I bet consoles couldn't even handle 1440p/60fps on ultra settings... yet they claim native 4k. What a gimmick.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It's wifey's birthday today so I picked up 100$ worth of lobster and king crab legs to cook up for her tonight...

When I was at the grocer he asked me, 'which kind of king crab'. So I looked and holy shit... they had king crab legs that were f***ing as long and almost as wide as my f***ing arm.... I was amazed. I thought I was getting the big crab legs and here they are tiny as hell compared to that behemoth.

I don't even know how I would be able to cook that monster... Literally it was 2+ feet long.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I feel for you with the vehicle issues.
I wouldn't believe it, but I saw first hand people get vehicle sick.
My wife vomits every.single.time. we get on the highway. But she is also from a turd world country and isn't brought up traveling in vehicles everywhere you go like we are in the states.
Dramamine helps her, but she still gets ill in vehicles on the highway and with the stop and go traffic. It was funny at first, but 100's of times later I just get frustrated knowing whenever we go far enough in the car I will have to listen to her retching and smell her stomach contents inevitably.

Ugh, that sounds terrible. For better or worse a surgery I had as a kid makes it incredibly difficult for me to get that kind of sick, but that also means I just deal with endless nausea with no release valve.

Incidentally my vertigo med is basically just a slightly stronger dose of Dramamine...it's not lovely, but it usually works decently well...so long as I have nothing to accomplish other than survive traveling.

Also, because I'm legally obligated to share Modest Mouse music when it ties to something I'm talking about,

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ugh, that sounds terrible. For better or worse a surgery I had as a kid makes it incredibly difficult for me to get that kind of sick, but that also means I just deal with endless nausea with no release valve.

Incidentally my vertigo med is basically just a slightly stronger dose of Dramamine...it's not lovely, but it usually works decently well...so long as I have nothing to accomplish other than survive traveling.

Also, because I'm legally obligated to share Modest Mouse music when it ties to something I'm talking about,

Yeah, I remember chatting with you before you took your trip all over the place about your struggles. At least you got to do that and do it successfully. One thing is truly love to do is travel, but ya know.... expensive, etc etc etc. Not really worried about the dangers, even though getting adultnapped is not on my ideal to-do list.

I don't think I asked ya, or I forget at least, how was Japan? I was supposed to be stationed at Sasebo, but I declined and got out of the service. I really wanted to go there though. Did you like it there?

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's wifey's birthday today so I picked up 100$ worth of lobster and king crab legs to cook up for her tonight...

When I was at the grocer he asked me, 'which kind of king crab'. So I looked and holy ****... they had king crab legs that were ****ing as long and almost as wide as my ****ing arm.... I was amazed. I thought I was getting the big crab legs and here they are tiny as hell compared to that behemoth.

I don't even know how I would be able to cook that monster... Literally it was 2+ feet long.

When I lived in the outback you only bought fresh seafood on Wednesday or Thursday because the delivery truck came every Wednesday.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
When I lived in the outback you only bought fresh seafood on Wednesday or Thursday because the delivery truck came every Wednesday.

Thank goodness for modern day refrigeration trucks.

I love sushi, but I am so very wary of eating it. I mean, if you eat raw pork, like that poor chinese bastard that had 100's of worms in his body (AND BRAIN) from eating raw / under cooked pork.
My point is, of all the sushi I ate, and everyone else too, how the hell do I / we/ they not get some kind of tape worm or whatever kind of critters that live in uncooked meats. I mean fish have parasites too.

I love sushi enough to risk death and illness. At least I say that now until I get deathly ill and swear off it for good if I survived, but how do more people not get ill from sushi... especially radioactive fukashima sushi...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah, I remember chatting with you before you took your trip all over the place about your struggles. At least you got to do that and do it successfully. One thing is truly love to do is travel, but ya know.... expensive, etc etc etc. Not really worried about the dangers, even though getting adultnapped is not on my ideal to-do list.

I don't think I asked ya, or I forget at least, how was Japan? I was supposed to be stationed at Sasebo, but I declined and got out of the service. I really wanted to go there though. Did you like it there?

Yeah, Japan was amazing! I was really hoping I'd have the blog up and running by now so I'd have something to share, but it's been a struggle since I got back. It's been nothing too terrible, just too many life changes happening at once for my body to handle in stride.

My goal is to get a gallery of pictures properly edited so I can share some before Christmas. Trying to learn a ton bunch of Adobe programs I'd never touched before with an exhausted, ADHD-riddled brain has been a Sisyphean task thus far.

In Japan I didn't wind up making it any further south than Osaka, but I definitely will be back. Sapporo Snow Festival and Southern Japan are near the top of my to-see list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad