Saudi Arabia looking to buy all major boxing promotions, establish one organization

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I don’t know much about boxing so someone who knows the business can correct me. A friend who followed the sport explained to me a long time back that boxing basically killed itself by splitting into all these competing promotions which refused to work with each other then took itself off TV which made it invisible. The saudis actually unifying boxing sounds like it would do a tremendous amount of good for the sport.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
To be honest, this is absolutely long overdue. Between the four organizations, the need to sometimes have interim champions, and the inane recent tendency to have a super champion, it wasn’t unheard of to have over a half dozen champions at a single weight class at a given moment.

I mean, right now, at the super lightweight and super flyweight:

IMG_0664.jpeg

IMG_0663.jpeg

Note: The Ring is a third party ranking, so the above is showing that each weight class has six different people as champs right now.

The only real downside to consolidation in general is that undisputed championships would no longer be a thing.

But not going to lie, the PIF being in charge is all kinds of worrisome, though. But they definitely have the money for it.

Reactions: sneakytitz

GindyDraws

#HutchOut
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The pro would be that it'd unify every body into one entity which would simplify the process of knowing who is the actual champion of their division. The con is that it's blatant sportswashing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad