Pre-Game Talk: Saturday vs. Winnipeg: The Game That Will Actually Be Played

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I'm glad to see the Habs be able to sign and grab Cole Caufield to give him an audition.

We haven't played a game in a while and we decided not to give Benson or McLeod a shot even though we had time for them to quarantine and no RNH so they had opportunity. Lovely.

They can't add him or any taxi squad member to the roster due to cap constraints, so unless there's an injury he might not see the ice for the Habs until the postseason.

Montreal Canadiens' Cole Caufield on taxi squad, can't play until salary cap space cleared - TSN.ca

Reactions: Paralyzer008

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Just carry it outside! We do it often in the summer.
No issues with being able to see it? Just need to be setup in shade? I have a cheaper tv in my basement maybe I should give it a shot, just have to find something to lean it against since it's wall mounted.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Home ice allows the coach to match up lines better over 60 minutes. I think it's a big deal, especially for the Oil who are offensively challenged.

Shame so many fans have thrown in the towel already on the season. I'm the opposite. The rest is more than likely giving the team a good time to recover from pains/injuries they were probably playing through. There may be some rust going into Saturdays game, but I don't think it'll continue even over 60 minutes.

Holland added at the TDL to fix our biggest area of weakness. Defense and grit/size. I can easily see this team winning games 2-1 throughout the playoffs and I welcome it. I actually expect the games down the stretch to be more Tippett/Yotes offensive stifling type of hockey with McDrai getting 2 points in low scoring wins.

I haven’t thrown in the towel. I think Edmonton can beat Winnipeg in the first round but it will be competitive. I don’t have a ton of confidence in Tippett using last change to his advantage is all. Edmonton doesn’t seem to play well at home. Less pressure starting on the road. In a series against Winnipeg, regardless of last change, I don’t Winnipeg can shut down McDrai. And I don’t think Edmonton’s can shut down Winnipeg bottom depth.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
No issues with being able to see it? Just need to be setup in shade? I have a cheaper tv in my basement maybe I should give it a shot, just have to find something to lean it against since it's wall mounted.

Sometimes there's a bit of glare but our trees are big enough that it isn't much of an issue after 6:00. We still have one that's on a stand so that's the one I use. It's definitely not as good a viewing experience because of glare and sound, but the overall experience being outside makes up for it.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Its a bit ironic post considering Benson couldn't even score goals in the Swiss league and doesn't score much even at AHL level.

As bad as Kahun might look his NHL goal scoring ability is probably in a whole other league than Bensons, and his defensive ability is night and day better than Benson as an option.

I dunno, maybe Benson is working on his game or 200 ft game. He's looked like nothing any time he's been here and any TC and preseason.
That's true. He didn't look that great here. However, I've been hearing that his game is solid along with Marody and McCleod. I don't watch Condor hockey but I am basing on what's posted here. Bring one of them in and play Bouchard instead of Jones too. Might spark something. Kahun is better than Turris or Neal but that's not saying much. We need offense and finish. Maybe one of the three will click, or maybe not. At least try it. Stubborn mule of a coach in Tippett.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Well, I think the version we'll see of the '21 Oilers starting tomorrow and for the next couple of weeks is the version that will compete for the Cup in the playoffs. That is, if the team continues along the horrid path they've laid out in the previous dozen or so games, then they're definitely going out in four or five games in round one. However, if, after this break, they refocus and everybody wakes up, and if they get back to where they were c. games 10 to 25, then they have a chance to get out of the North.

Reactions: McDrai

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Game moved to 5pm? Lame. I hate sitting inside watching hockey when it's nice outside, that's a pass for me.

Time for an outdoor TV :laugh::help:
I set up outdoor audio video for some local bars n restaurant patios. can get you a dedicated weatherproof enclosure so you can leave it out in all weather. Works great by the hot tub too. You're able to secure it so it can't walk away at night too.

Mickelsnitz

Dec 23, 2009
Watching games outside is the best. Usually means I’m in California. This year will be awesome cause Oiler hockey in the spring.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Game moved to 5pm? Lame. I hate sitting inside watching hockey when it's nice outside, that's a pass for me.

Time for an outdoor TV :laugh::help:
Oh baby... An outdoor TV for summer would be the dream for me. If only I had money.
3orifdO6eKr9YBdOBq.gif

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’m thinking of getting a projector to project games onto the garage door and setup portable speakers outside. Get 9 buddies, 10 cases of beer and 10 lawn chairs and watch some spring hockey in a few weeks.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I’m thinking of getting a projector to project games onto the garage door and setup portable speakers outside. Get 9 buddies, 10 cases of beer and 10 lawn chairs and watch some spring hockey in a few weeks.

Pretty cheap setups are out there. Not sure of the quality but most run on bluetooth now, even cheaper ones so pretty easy to use portably.

I'm wondering about the math. heh

Plus you have to have an extra lawn chair. The way they make these things its a given that one breaks..

I have an old large roll blind that I've been hanging onto. Would make a great retractable outdoor screen. Its even perfect white on one side. One of these days I'll just drop some coin on a projector. Few hundred bucks probably all in.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Pretty cheap setups are out there. Not sure of the quality but most run on bluetooth now, even cheaper ones so pretty easy to use portably.

I'm wondering about the math. heh

Plus you have to have an extra lawn chair. The way they make these things its a given that one breaks..

I have an old large roll blind that I've been hanging onto. Would make a great retractable outdoor screen. Its even perfect white on one side. One of these days I'll just drop some coin on a projector. Few hundred bucks probably all in.

9 buddies. Plus me. 10 cases of beer! Socially distanced of course.

Oh good idea. I have a large frame for a huge screen I used to use for photography. Hang a queen size bedsheet from it and put it in the backyard and sit outside by the fire pit.

Grab a cheap projector. Blue tooth would be perfect. Have a portable speaker.

This could be fun.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
9 buddies. Plus me. 10 cases of beer! Socially distanced of course.

Oh good idea. I have a large frame for a huge screen I used to use for photography. Hang a queen size bedsheet from it and put it in the backyard and sit outside by the fire pit.

Grab a cheap projector. Blue tooth would be perfect. Have a portable speaker.

This could be fun.

You're not a buddy? heh

This is one that looks half decent. Has built in audio but I think probably not good enough for outdoor audio. I'd prefer getting one with audio out. So that I can just hook up speakers to it without having to sync audio and picture on all bluetooth or wifi. I'm not a techy.

Vankyo - Leisure LD70T Wireless Mini Projector (HD 1080P Supported)-White | Best Buy Canada

They say you should get more lumens than you think you will need, but that this can also decrease picture quality. Of course they will advise you to spend hundreds of bucks on a perfect screen, lol, more than the projector costs, and, well, this is going to be outside. Damn straight I'm using something cheap. Its outdoors, it won't remain in great condition. heh, mines even retractable.

ps the reviews seem great for this projector, was just looking at them, and apparently sound is decent but you can hook up a speaker.

I'll pretend the drive in is open again..

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
You're not a buddy? heh

This is one that looks half decent. Has built in audio but I think probably not good enough for outdoor audio. I'd prefer getting one with audio out. So that I can just hook up speakers to it without having to sync audio and picture on all bluetooth or wifi. I'm not a techy.

Vankyo - Leisure LD70T Wireless Mini Projector (HD 1080P Supported)-White | Best Buy Canada

They say you should get more lumens than you think you will need, but that this can also decrease picture quality. Of course they will advise you to spend hundreds of bucks on a perfect screen, lol, more than the projector costs, and, well, this is going to be outside. Damn straight I'm using something cheap. Its outdoors, it won't remain in great condition. heh, mines even retractable.

ps the reviews seem great for this projector, was just looking at them, and apparently sound is decent but you can hook up a speaker.

I'll pretend the drive in is open again..

Ha i hope your recording the game to watch it in the dark. plus That projector is only 1280x720 native. Over 65 inches thats will look like garbage you'll be seriously disappointed in the contrast and color reproduction on that thing. a good real 1080p projector is gonna set you back a minimum of 600 bucks.

Benq and Epson are belting out a real 1080p projector @3300 lumens for 650 ish bucks.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oilers Law Article 23

The Edmonton Oilers shall lose every game played when the number of dates between games exceeds 4.

Hereto forthwith we shall amend Article 23 to no longer have any force or contractual obligations binding upon the parties.

Just ****ing win boys.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Watching games outside is the best. Usually means I’m in California. This year will be awesome cause Oiler hockey in the spring.
A lot of hispanics do that in Florida. They'll have a living room set in their garage with a tv. Sweltering heat too. Surprised their televisions don't blow up..It's so ghetto down there. OMG...:laugh:

Reactions: Mickelsnitz

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
A lot of hispanics do that in Florida. They'll have a living room set in their garage with a tv. Sweltering heat too. Surprised their televisions don't blow up..It's so ghetto down there. OMG...:laugh:
I have a TV facing south in AZ and i watch in 90 degree heat and then some. It keeps on cooking. We’re not ghetto...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Ha i hope your recording the game to watch it in the dark. plus That projector is only 1280x720 native. Over 65 inches thats will look like garbage you'll be seriously disappointed in the contrast and color reproduction on that thing. a good real 1080p projector is gonna set you back a minimum of 600 bucks.

Benq and Epson are belting out a real 1080p projector @3300 lumens for 650 ish bucks.

meh, part of the joy of outdoor viewing is imperfect resolution. Who cares, you're out in the backyard, under the stars, not expecting perfect resolution and for an outdoor setup I'm not interested in going top of the line. As it is I don't even care about HD vs 4D sets indoors. It becomes a bit of diminishing returns. With my vision I can hardly tell the difference. Anything from 720-1080 is good enough for me. Nor do I need the viewing size to be all that large.

For an indoor setup I could see your point. But not for something thats going to be used outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad