Horse Racing: $1.1 billion bet on US racing in August 2024; SATURDAY: Colonial Downs + Kentucky Downs among highlights; TUESDAY: Second leg of Canadian Triple Crown

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
175th Bangor State Fair---Harness racing returns after 31 yr layoff;

------------------

This year marks the 175th edition of the Bangor State Fair, which is among the oldest state fairs in the nation.​
The fair will run Thursday, July 25, to Sunday, July 28, and from Thursday, Aug. 1, to Sunday, Aug. 3. The midway will be open 1 to 11 p.m.​

Last edited by a moderator:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Ascot (England) on Saturday:

1721960771835.png

Race #PurseRace TypeDistanceSurfaceStartersEst. Post
1$63,500Maiden (class 2)6FTurf78:15 AM
2$82,500Gr3 - Princess Margaret Stakes (class 1)6FTurf98:50 AM
3$108,000Gr3 - Valiant Stakes (class 1)1MTurf89:25 AM
4$190,500Heritage Handicap (class 2)7FTurf1810:00 AM
5$1,587,500Gr1 - King George Vi And Queen Elizabeth Qipco Stakes (class 1)1 1/2MTurf910:40 AM
6$63,500Listed Stakes (class 1)7FTurf511:15 AM
7$76,000Handicap (class 2)1MTurf1211:50 AM
8$76,000Handicap (class 2)5FTurf1312:25 PM

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Saturday, July 27, 2024

Saratoga (New York):
  • Handle: $16.5 million.
  • Race 1: Second Chance (Junior Alvarado/Bill Mott) debuted to a win in the opener.
  • Race 9: Dontlookbackatall (Irad Ortiz, Jr./Christophe Clement) won the Grade 3 $200,000 Caress Stakes in a photo over Danse Macabre (Adam Beschizza/Kelsey Danner). Ortiz picked up the mount from Joel Rosario who was off his mounts due to illness. Beschizza rides infrequently on the East coast, mostly Louisiana and Kentucky but though winless sports a good 5 0-3-1(80% ITM) lifetime mark at the Spa. The 8-to-1 shot was bred in PA and owns a record of 13 6-5-0 including 1st or 2nd in his past 10 races. He likes the Spa since this is his second win there in three tries and where he broke his maiden in his debut
  • Race 10: Miztertonic (Frankie Dettori/Keri Brion) nipped 31-to-1 shot Kid Kreesa (Eliseo Ruiz/Linda Dixon) in a thriller in the finale. The Pick 4 was 8-8-8-8.
1721962016230.png
Delaware Park (Delaware):
  • Robert Smith sent out two horses and both returned winners in the last two races of the day. He entered with just seven wins in 2024.
Colonial (Virginia):
  • Race 9: Katakana (Johan Rosado/Ollie Figgins III) was not deterred at 76-to-1 and won the finale by a neck to pay $154.60. The $1 double paid only $49.80 with chalk winning the prior race; still, a low payout.
  • Ben Curtis rode five times and won with his first three rides. The UK native came to America last year.
  • Jevian Toledo is a solid 22 7-5-2 since returning from a serious injury in April. He rides at Laurel (MD) and Colonial (VA) mainly.
  • Brittany Russell won yet again and her record at the meet is now a remarkable 9 5-1-1 (56%). Overall at all tracks, she is 22 7-4-3 (32%) since July 18.
Del Mar (California):
  • Race 7: Midnight Mammoth (Armando Ayuso/Craig Dollase) won the $100,000 Grade 3 Cougar II Stakes at 9-to-1, the second longest odds in the race. The jockey won a graded stakes for the first time in his young career.
  • Race 8: The $1 Pick 6 was a gigantic $177,000+.

Last edited:
  • Love

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Friday Preview outside of Bangor State Fair circuit;

Bangor State Fair card update:

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Friday, July 26, 2024

Saratoga (New York):
  • Handle: $19.9 million.
  • Irad Ortiz, Jr. rode three winners and now leads the meet by three victories.
  • Race 11: Rhetorical (Irad Ortiz, Jr./William Walden) looked fabulous in winning his debut performance by five lengths and withstood a stewards' review involving the third place finisher. The trainer took out his license just three years ago and now in his 30s has 38 victories. He is the son of the famed Elliott Walden.
  • Race 9: Scotland (Junior Alvarado/Bill Mott) spanked the competition as he was eased during a victory that could have been a romp. Alvarado, cold at the meet's start, is now eighth in wins with five,
  • Race 8: Runningwscissors (Javier Castellano/Fernando Abreu) was placed from second to last. Fortunately no serious injuries after a disturbance resulted in Let It Ride (Eric Cancel/George Weaver) with a minor cut and the jockey to take a tumble; however, all were reported fine otherwise.
  • Race 6: Accelerating (Jose Ortiz/Steve Asmussen) debuted to a nifty win by more than four lengths. The 2-year-old Mitole filly cost $325,000 in May. I like what I saw here, added to Watch List.
  • Race 3 World Record (Flavien Prat/Rodolphe Brisset) won the Grade 2 $200,000 Amsterdam Stakes by more than six lengths at 6-to-1. Second win in four starts, first race outside of Kentucky. The Gun Runner colt cost $425,000 in 2021.
  • Race 1: Six of the nine horses that ran were claimed.
Monmouth (New Jersey):
  • Race 6: Reclusive (Christopher Elliott/Tina Hurley) won the $100,000 Regret Stakes at 34-to-1. Elliott is the 18-year-old son to Stewart Elliott. The jockey is 2-for-2 at Monmouth and has six career wins since starting his career earlier this year. Hurley, based in San Antonio, TX, may have had the biggest win of her career. The 5-year-old Texas mare was racing at Lone Star (TX) among other spots. A good performance for things associated with Texas.
1722046593341.png
Laurel (Maryland):
  • Race 3: The number 7 had a 90% chance of winning before being Eddie Mush'd. Great recovery by the #1. Fun race to have the winner. Soller-coaster of emotions.

1722050438931.png
Del Mar (California):
  • Race 5: Even with the favorite winning the $.50 Pick 5 paid a resounding $140,000+. Second six-figure payout of the meet.
  • Race 7: Pushiness (Umberto Rispoli/Michael McCarthy) won the $150,000 Fleet Treat.

Last edited:
  • Love

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
And yet another person has left California. This state better awake before it is too late.

Trainer Kristin Mulhall recently disbanded her California-based stable after a 22-year career to focus on development of a 67-acre horse property in Ohio.​
In a conversation on Thursday, Mulhall did not entirely rule out returning to training at some point, perhaps in Kentucky, but said she will no longer be involved with racing on the West Coast. She said she recently sold her home near Santa Anita.​
“No more California for me,” she said. “I shut down my barn at Santa Anita. I am going to be buying and selling riding horses, just traveling around and having a good time.”​
Mulhall, who turns 42 on Saturday, was in the midst of a journey through Wyoming and Montana on Thursday before traveling to her farm in Fresno, Ohio, south of Akron.​
================​
“I tried to do what’s right by the horse,” she said. “I don’t feel I can do that with the different rules now. They’re basically training the horses now.​
“I said when it wasn’t fun I was going to quit. It’s not fun anymore.”​

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Saturday at Saratoga...
Race 7
  • Chancer McPatrick seems like value at 4-to-1. With Flavien Prat riding for Chad Brown, a $725,000 price tag and a solid final prep workout, this $100,000 MSW dirt race is of particular interest.
  • Invictus (Florent Geroux/Brad Cox) rides the inside post with $1.2 million purchase.
  • American Promise, a $750,000 Justify baby is 20-to-1 as Hall of Famer Wayne Lukas has a poor record with first-timers: under 7% lifetime.
  • Uncle Mo, Gun Runner, Justify, Quality Road are among the high-profiled sires
  • Todd Pletcher, Wayne Lukas, Bill Mott, Steve Asmussen, Chad Brown and Brad Cox are among the trainers.

Race 6
  • Skelly, the superstar of Oaklawn (AR) with eight straight wins there, runs in the Grade I Vanderbilt (race 6). He is 16 10-5-0 lifetime with wins in nine of his past 11 starts.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Although Arapahoe (CO) is not a major facility, still upsetting news that the lone pari-mutuel facility in Colorado, will likely not conduct live racing in 2024.

There is hope for 2025 but this... reeks along the lines of Arizona with OTBs (simulcast) involved but the main difference here is that safety concerns (electrical and structural issues on the backside) have been cited. Important elements such as refrigeration and running water, important to the sport, would be among the many conditional factors.

Bally's operates Arapahoe.

This quote is ominous “Hopefully with time, we can all pull together and this won’t be the end of racing in Colorado,” said commission chair Tameka Sampson. “It feels like we’re faced with today being the end or perhaps in the future. I’m going to do my part to make sure it’s not.”

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The Chosen Vron is entered tonight in the $400,000 Grade I Bing Crosby (Del Mar). The 6-year-old is 23 18-1-2 with $1.4 million in earnings. He is on a steak of 13 wins in his last 14 starts. The California foal has raced just once outside his home state (Turf Paradise in Arizona). He is 6 3-1-1 at Del Mar (15 13-0-1 at Santa Anita and a win in Los Alamitos).

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Goliath (Christophe Soumilon/Francis Graffard), German bred running mostly in France, won the $1.58 million King George and Queen Elizabeth at Ascot at the attractive odds of 25-to-1. Among the defeated were three Aidan O'Brien runners and Rebel's Romance.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Saturday at Saratoga...
Race 7
  • Chancer McPatrick seems like value at 4-to-1. With Flavien Prat riding for Chad Brown, a $725,000 price tag and a solid final prep workout, this $100,000 MSW dirt race is of particular interest.
  • Invictus (Florent Geroux/Brad Cox) rides the inside post with $1.2 million purchase.
  • American Promise, a $750,000 Justify baby is 20-to-1 as Hall of Famer Wayne Lukas has a poor record with first-timers: under 7% lifetime.
  • Uncle Mo, Gun Runner, Justify, Quality Road are among the high-profiled sires
  • Todd Pletcher, Wayne Lukas, Bill Mott, Steve Asmussen, Chad Brown and Brad Cox are among the trainers.

Race 6
  • Skelly, the superstar of Oaklawn (AR) with eight straight wins there, runs in the Grade I Vanderbilt (race 6). He is 16 10-5-0 lifetime with wins in nine of his past 11 starts.
Chancer McPatrick looked marvelous. Bet down to 2-to-1 but for a first timer, sweetness.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Saturday, July 27, 2024

Saratoga (New York):
  • Handle: $37.2 million. The handle was $32 million last year when rain interrupted the card.
  • Attendance: 36,000+
  • Card: Highlighted by the Vanderbilt and Jim Dandy.
  • Race 6: Nakatomi (Tyler Gaffalione/Wesley Ward) won the $350,000 Grade I Vanderbilt Handicap.
  • Race 7: Chancer McPatrick (Flavien Prat/Chad Brown) won the $100,000 MSW with a mad rush to go from ninth at the half mile to victory. This race was filled with successful sires and pricey horses but the winner, at 4-to-1 m/l, entered off a strong workout and was appealing through sent off the favorite at 2-to-1. My expectations were matched!
  • Race 10: Fierceness (John Velazquez/Todd Pletcher), the well-beaten favorite in this year's Kentucky Derby, won the battle of heavyweights in the $500,000 Grade 2 Jim Dandy. It was the eighth time Pletcher won this race. Sierra Leone (Flavien Prat/Chad Brown) placed as the favorite and after finishing second in the Kentucky Derby and third in the Belmont Stakes. I am of the opinion the 3 swung inside and unintentionally distracted Sierra but certainly nothing intrusive but still a curious call by Junior Alvarado on the 3 and opinions seemed to vary on that topic. I could just imagine what was going through generally even-tempered Pletcher's mind with owner Mike Repole, shall we say, oozing emotions and smooching the winning trainer.
  • Race 12: Summer Whirl (John Velazquez/Graham Motion) beat Autumn (Jose Lezcano/Carlos Martin) in what could be the ride of the day. A terrific effort by Johnny V. -- almost old-school from him -- as this was an extraordinary finish and effort. Summer beats autumn, something I have said for decades. :sarcasm:
  • Through Today:
1722130749293.png
Monmouth (New Jersey):
  • Race 8: Scalable (Paco Lopez/Todd Pletcher) won the Grade 3 $255,000 Monmouth Oaks.
Meadowlands (New Jersey):
1722295558148.png

The Meadows (Pennsylvania):
  • Handle: Exceeded $1,000,000. A big day of racing in western PA billed as the richest for harness in the state. Looked like a fun afternoon.
  • Race 15: Captain Albano (Todd McCarthy/Noel Daley) won the $350,000 Adios, billed as the biggest harness race in Pennsylvania.
1722164511773.png

Laurel (Maryland):
  • Race 1: Athletic Star (Jevian Toledo/Richard Sillaman) was the lone first-timer in the race and was buried by what appeared to be 20 lengths until a pulsating finish elevated him to victory. Picking longshots to win can be fun. Paid $19.40.

Gulfstream (Florida):
  • Race 4: Emona Rossa (Aarom Otero/ Frank Regalbuto) gave the jockey, a 24-year-old from Venezuela, his first victory in the USA and a victory that paid $101.
Ruidoso at Albuquerque Downs (New Mexico):
  • Card: Three stakes originally scheduled for Ruidoso Downs but moved to Albuquerque due to weather-related damages,
  • Race 11: Dashing Tres (Juan Polido/Toby Keeton) won the $750,000 Grade I Rainbow Quarter Horse Derby by a neck over stablemate Visa.
Del Mar (California):
  • Race 8: Dr. Venkman (Antonio Fresu/Mark Glatt) won the Grade 2 $300,000 San Diego Handicap. Dr. Venkman is a perfect 3 3-0-0 at Del Mar and winless in two starts elsewhere.
  • Race 10: The Chosen Vron (Hector Berrios/J. Eric Kruljac) was sent off the favorite and cruised to a victory in the $400,000 Grade I Bing Crosby. The Chosen Vron, the Cal-bred Horse of the Year for 2023, has a 24 19-1-1 career mark with $1.6 million earned. He has won his last six starts and repeated as a winner in the Bing Crosby. Perhaps most impressively, he has won 12 of his past 13 races and each was at Del Mar or Santa Anita.

Woodbine (Ontario):
  • Handle: $7.5 million.
  • Mark Casse entered three horses in both graded stakes and was victorious both times.
  • Race 9: Paramount Prince (Patrick Husbands/Mark Casse) romped in the Grade 2 $175,000 Seagram Cup.
  • Race 8: Time to Dazzle (Sahin Civaci/Mark Casse) wired the field to win the Grade 3 $135,000 Ontario Colleen Stakes.

Ascot (England):
  • Card: Eight races, four class I and four class 2.
  • Race 5: Goliath (Christophe Soumillon/Francis Graffard), German born and French raced, won the $1.5 million King George VI and Queen Elizabeth QIPCO Stakes. Seven of the nine horses were foaled in either Ireland or England. At 25-to-1, quite the shocker.
1722129899811.png

Last edited:
  • Love

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Tom Durkin was impeccable at calling races. He was a contestant on the old Match Game TV show when he was calling races at Arlington (IL) and then advanced to international prominence. He is now a school teacher.

Saratoga Central Catholic School is thrilled to announce that Tom Durkin, renowned and award-winning Saratoga Race Course announcer, will be joining our faculty as the Public Speaking Basics teacher, a new elective offered by our Business Department.​
Tom Durkin is celebrated for his iconic career as a track announcer for the New York Racing Association (NYRA) from 1990 to 2014, captivating audiences at the Saratoga Race Course. He also worked as a sports commentator for ESPN and NBC Sports from 1984 to 2010. Durkin’s distinguished career has earned him prestigious accolades, including the Jockey Club Gold Medal and the Eclipse Award of Merit, honoring his significant contributions to the sport.​

• Love

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad