Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016

Awful...does this crap still happen...reminds me of the Steve Downie and Akim Aliu incident Sidelined for standing up to teammates

I can almost guarantee it still happens .... look at St Mikes boys school. I do however, don't think its as prevalent. It all starts with the coaching. If a coach says he won't stand for any of that b.s it won't happen. Its up for the coach to talk to the team to send the message of 0 tolerance because being 16 or 17 and going to play in the OHL would be incredibly intimidating. You don't want to be a rat and tell on people so you just put up with it. Teams do it to varying degrees, like making the rooks fill the water bottles, pick up pucks, carry the bags, get a shitty spot in the room, sit at the front of the bus, rookie haircuts, cleaning the room. Other teams however, take it to extreme levels. The "shower train" sounds like a living hell, I wouldn't even want to go to practice if that crap was happening after. No wonder they lost 9-1 in the final game, id quit too. Ironic if you think you can piss on rooks, spin on rooks, lock them in the bathroom, hit them and who knows what else, then cry and plea for them to play hard for you.... ironic.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I can almost guarantee it still happens .... look at St Mikes boys school. I do however, don't think its as prevalent. It all starts with the coaching. If a coach says he won't stand for any of that b.s it won't happen. Its up for the coach to talk to the team to send the message of 0 tolerance because being 16 or 17 and going to play in the OHL would be incredibly intimidating. You don't want to be a rat and tell on people so you just put up with it. Teams do it to varying degrees, like making the rooks fill the water bottles, pick up pucks, carry the bags, get a ****ty spot in the room, sit at the front of the bus, rookie haircuts, cleaning the room. Other teams however, take it to extreme levels. The "shower train" sounds like a living hell, I wouldn't even want to go to practice if that crap was happening after. No wonder they lost 9-1 in the final game, id quit too. Ironic if you think you can piss on rooks, spin on rooks, lock them in the bathroom, hit them and who knows what else, then cry and plea for them to play hard for you.... ironic.
Its 2018...this S*** shouldnt be happening anywhere within this league...That just makes me sick...

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
The other thing really surprised me today was that after Kelton Hatcher's hit today on Tullio that there was no attempted payback by the Generals. I was at this game today and that hit was an absolute demolition. Reminded me of Scott Stevens hit on Eric Lindros.
Seeing it live it looked like Hatcher had Tullio in his sights and took more than 3 steps but even if it wasnt a charge I cant believe nobody from Oshawa went beserk..

A Gens player literally dropped the gloves with him 2 seconds after the hit lol....

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
A Gens player literally dropped the gloves with him 2 seconds after the hit lol....
Yeah Antropov did and got filled in by Hatcher (which made the situation even worse ) but given how aggregious the hit was I was really surprised that was the end of it. Tullio couldnt even stand up for about 2 minutes because the hit was so nasty and he was in a daze. Whether it was clean or dirty in the old days under the code Hatcher would've had the whole team trying to kill him. Don't get me wrong this is in no way a comment about the Generals. Obviously the Gens thought the hit was a hockey play with the rookie with his head down. In the old days that wouldnt have mattered.
To me it speaks volumes about how the code is changing in the game (which is a very good thing.) Hopefully this also includes the hazing rituals which never should've been allowed in the first place. The idiots that turned a blind eye to this stuff should be prosecuted.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I would highly doubt Mark and Dale Hunter and Co. would tolerate any of the bullying crap to happen there. I knew enough kids that have played there I would have heard something. They do make rookies pick up the pucks at games and I would imagine they ride the front of the bus but that would be it. I doubt the current Sting ownership and management group would allow that crap either. I remember reading about Akim Aliu being abused in Windsor as a rookie. I am not a fan of Hatcher as he is borderline cheap shot artist lots of the time in the games I have seen in London. The last game in London he should have got a match penalty for an elbow to the head. What goes around will come around as far as I am concerned. He won't get in a fight with anybody like Tymkin or Lochead but rather a smaller guy that is his style.

Reactions: dansk55 and LDN

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Yeah Antropov did and got filled in by Hatcher (which made the situation even worse ) but given how aggregious the hit was I was really surprised that was the end of it. Tullio couldnt even stand up for about 2 minutes because the hit was so nasty and he was in a daze. Whether it was clean or dirty in the old days under the code Hatcher would've had the whole team trying to kill him. Don't get me wrong this is in no way a comment about the Generals. Obviously the Gens thought the hit was a hockey play with the rookie with his head down. In the old days that wouldnt have mattered.
To me it speaks volumes about how the code is changing in the game (which is a very good thing.) Hopefully this also includes the hazing rituals which never should've been allowed in the first place. The idiots that turned a blind eye to this stuff should be prosecuted.
Yah some of the coaches are still coaching in the OHL. A guy like Greg Walters. Guy should be kicked out of the OHL.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I would highly doubt Mark and Dale Hunter and Co. would tolerate any of the bullying crap to happen there. I knew enough kids that have played there I would have heard something. They do make rookies pick up the pucks at games and I would imagine they ride the front of the bus but that would be it. I doubt the current Sting ownership and management group would allow that crap either. I remember reading about Akim Aliu being abused in Windsor as a rookie. I am not a fan of Hatcher as he is borderline cheap shot artist lots of the time in the games I have seen in London. The last game in London he should have got a match penalty for an elbow to the head. What goes around will come around as far as I am concerned. He won't get in a fight with anybody like Tymkin or Lochead but rather a smaller guy that is his style.
Yah picking up pucks and that kind of stuff is to be expected, not that other bs. Mark and Dale are too smart to allow that to happen in London, past or present. Same with Hatcher. It's their brand, they own it.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

I don't understand what you're wanting them to do. Hatcher throws a blindside hit and Antropov, who isn't a fighter, steps up for his teammate and fights a guy who is a fighter to show him that isn't tolerated, which is what you're asking them to do. But you're saying you can't believe someone didn't do that, even though someone did do it....

Is anyone else as confused as I am? Lol

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Yah some of the coaches are still coaching in the OHL. A guy like Greg Walters. Guy should be kicked out of the OHL.

Kick Greg Walters out of the OHL because down by 1 in the 3rd he has his team, a skilled team mind you, play hockey instead of be completely distracted trying to throw dirty hits!

:huh::help:

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Kick Greg Walters out of the OHL because down by 1 in the 3rd he has his team, a skilled team mind you, play hockey instead of be completely distracted trying to throw dirty hits!

:huh::help:
I was referring to his time in Sarnia when he was a coach during those times mentioned above with Carrillo. not sure what ur talking about.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
I don't understand what you're wanting them to do. Hatcher throws a blindside hit and Antropov, who isn't a fighter, steps up for his teammate and fights a guy who is a fighter to show him that isn't tolerated, which is what you're asking them to do. But you're saying you can't believe someone didn't do that, even though someone did do it....

Really ? You're confused ? Have you ever played the game ?

If someone on the other team crushes one of your guys and its a borderline hit then it doesn't end there. Tradtionally, the code is that the rest of the team goes after the guy til he pays the price. It doesn't end if a non fighter gets filled in that only makes the situation worse. That just stirs up the hornet's nest.
The fact that the situation today seemed to not be resolved in a traditional manner was the point I was making.

What seems to be pretty clear cut to me is that the game has had a huge fundamental change in the last few years which IMO is all related to the CTE lawsuits .
The liability is huge and the game can't win that fight. Hockey has changed forever, The days of of the code are over. IMO this is a very good thing as the goons get replaced by the small skilled guys and the hazing rituals stop. Feel sorry for guys like Carcillo who were victims of the way things used to be done. He was a skill guy who could flourish under the new game.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Are you referring to when he pumped in dunkley after making a good solid “clean” hit on a guy in the corner? Maybe dunkley shouldn’t have skated up to him and hit him and get up in his face shoving him, what do you expect Hatcher to do in that situation?
Kelton Hatcher vs Nathan Dunkley Oct 12, 2018

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018

I'm confused how you feel hitting him face on was "blindside".....is Tulio legally blind?

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I love all these complaints about dirty hits and how Hatcher is a cheap shot artist...you do know the league can/does still review the plays and can take disciplinary action after the fact if they feel it's necessary. Believe it or not, there's still such a thing as a clean hockey hit!

Reactions: robp1219

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Blind side hit? LOL...be a little more biased. Absolutely nothing wrong with that hit. Tulio should keep his head up.
lol I love Hatcher. One of my favourite players on Sarnia. WTF is Tulio even doing exposing himself like that... Kids aren't taught how to defend themselves from hits anymore. Curling up the ice to chip the puck out near the blue line with his head buried, what do people expect to happen there?? I'm curious, what else should Hatcher have done?... let him skate by and go on a 2 on 1? lol blind side hit my ass... when you're skating directly up ice like that its impossible to be blind sided. Hatcher was coming straight at him.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Big guy, who loves to hit! Hatcher has a Bash brother, league better watch out for all the cheap shots coming lol

Attachments

• 4E1B3DDD-EC62-4CAF-9AE5-278C3307C25F.png
    4E1B3DDD-EC62-4CAF-9AE5-278C3307C25F.png
    374 KB · Views: 38

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Hatcher always has a big hit on someone who is in a vulnerable position... and smaller guys too.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Ex-NHLer Carcillo recalls alleged OHL beating with sawed-off goalie stick | CBC Sports

From his verified Twitter account, Carcillo spoke of being beaten with the sawed-off paddle of a goaltender's hockey stick on a daily basis. He also described a "shower train" where rookies were forced to sit on the floor in the shower as veterans urinated or spit chewing tobacco on or near them, sometimes throwing shaving cream at them as well.
Carcillo described further shocking scenes to The Canadian Press, including being forced to bob for apples in a cooler filled with waste including pizza, urine, and spit.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Ex-NHLer Carcillo recalls alleged OHL beating with sawed-off goalie stick | CBC Sports

From his verified Twitter account, Carcillo spoke of being beaten with the sawed-off paddle of a goaltender's hockey stick on a daily basis. He also described a "shower train" where rookies were forced to sit on the floor in the shower as veterans urinated or spit chewing tobacco on or near them, sometimes throwing shaving cream at them as well.
Carcillo described further shocking scenes to The Canadian Press, including being forced to bob for apples in a cooler filled with waste including pizza, urine, and spit.
Yes this is absolutely insane. I actually went to high school with some of the sting players like Clune and Solomon and was kind of friends with them. They would tell stories about the hazing they went through and I remember thinking damn I am glad I am playing Jr.C and the vets on my team didn't do that b.s to us. I bet if u ask any ex OHLer they will all have similar stories. Branch looks horrible in all of this imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad