Prospect Info: San Jose Sharks #7 Prospect

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the Sharks' seventh best prospect?

• Benjamin Gaudreau G

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brinson Pasichnuk LD

• Scott Reedy C/W

• Timur Ibragimov LW

• Jacob McGrew C/W

• Zach Sawchenko G

• Zacharie Émond G

• Brandon Coe RW

• Yegor Spiridonov C

• Ethan Cardwell RW

• Gannon Laroque LD

• Artem Guryev LD

• Max McCue C

• Liam Gilmartin LW

• Theo Jacobsson C

• Yevgeni Kashnikov LD

• Adam Raska RW

• Linus Oberg RW

• Alex Young C

• Timofey Spitserov RW

• Magnus Chrona G

• Dillon Hamaliuk LW

• Jasper Weatherby C/LW

• Vladislav Kotkov LW

• Zachary Gallant C

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Come on guys,
I just gotta post a picture of Blichfeld. Look how good he looks in the jersey already. We won't be able to see Goosey in that jersey for a while but Blichfeld is already here.

joachim-blichfeld-of-the-san-jose-sharks-celebrates-scoring-his-first-picture-id1232508789

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Went Gushers on this. Kid has been skating circles around people with the puck on his stick. Excited to see how he does vs stronger competition.

Think Robins has a higher floor, but lower ceiling, so went with Gushchin

Stuff like this is hard to ignore.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I'm going with Chmelevski here.

The way I see it, you have Chmelevski, Chekhovich, Blichfeld, Gushchin, and Robins competing here among forwards, with Hatakka and Melnichuk also in the running. Just looking at the forwards for now:
  • The odds that any of the five turn into top six forwards are lower, and probably look something like Gushchin, Robins, Blichfeld, Chekhovich, and Chmelevski (with Gushchin and maybe Robins being the only ones with a reasonably sizable chance).
  • However, the odds that any of the five turn into bottom six forwards are probably more like Chmelevski, Robins, Blichfeld, Chekhovich, and Gushchin, with a gap between Chmelevski and the other four.
    • Chmelevski has scored pretty consistently (using age-adjusted NHLe) as a third-line forward (there was a big drop-off this season from his typical 45 points to 30, but in a very strange season where Chmelevski spent half of the year on the taxi squad), and I think has the skills to play in a fourth-line role as well.
    • Robins seems to have clear NHL potential as a scorer, but might not reach top-six quality. With his overall skill set and effort level, though, a bottom-six energy guy seems pretty reasonable.
    • Blichfeld and Chekhovich are probably third-line scoring wingers or bust.
    • Gushchin is tiny and might not be able to handle a third-line role, particularly as we haven't seen him in a men's league.
  • Chmelevski is already a depth forward, I think (NHL 13th forward or AHL callup) - he shouldn't sit in the NHL press box because of his age and remaining upside, but I think he's clearly good enough to fill that role now. Robins might top out there as well. The other three, though, won't - if they can't stick in the NHL, they'll go to Europe and be of zero value to an NHL team.
Basically, I think Chmelevski has very little upside for a top six role, decent upside for a third-line role, good upside for a fourth line role, and is already in an NHL depth role, while Robins follows up with more top six upside and about as much bottom-six upside. Gushchin has better top six upside than anyone left, but pretty much zero chance for anything else, and both Blichfeld and Chekhovich having about as much overall NHL potential as Gushchin, but with a lower ceiling.

Adding Hatakka into the mix gives you a guy with low top four upside, pretty good bottom four upside, and good NHL depth upside - probably not unlike Chmelevski, but with less total NHL upside (plus the risk that he goes home to Finland if he can't stick). Melnichuk is in a similar boat - low starter upside, decent backup upside, and he can always return to Russia.

I know this sounds like I'm hitting on the European players, but I figure a player who stays in the AHL has some value to an NHL team, while a player who doesn't has zero value. Maybe this isn't a good way of looking at it.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
The gush. Highest upside left other than goalies IMO (maybe Chekhovich but he's older).

Having Robins who is a recent 2nd round pick maintaining solid progress in his development falling in our rankings like this is actually nice for a change. He should be one of the highest scorers in the WHL this year.

Hatakka should be getting votes soon too. Although he has limited upside, he looks like a guy that will easily transition into a bottom-pair role...and that could be in a year or two.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Gushchin destroyed what was the strongest USHL in years due to an influx of CHL players. I think he's a better prospect than Ozzy.
It looks like he had the highest 5v5 PPG in the league, even with Sillinger, Coronato, Doan, and Pastujov all playing the the USHL last year.

Everyone outside of Sillinger also had way better linemates.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
The gush. Highest upside left other than goalies IMO (maybe Chekhovich but he's older).

Having Robins who is a recent 2nd round pick maintaining solid progress in his development falling in our rankings like this is actually nice for a change. He should be one of the highest scorers in the WHL this year.

Hatakka should be getting votes soon too. Although he has limited upside, he looks like a guy that will easily transition into a bottom-pair role...and that could be in a year or two.

As someone who only has the prospect discussion here as a way to gauge the pipeline (I wish I had more time to watch Jr. hockey, but alas not in my cards) - seeing what types of players are being discussed the further we get into these rankings I find myself really excited and encouraged.

I feel like in past years players like Brandon Coe would be in the running right about now, and the fact that he isn’t (no knock on him) really demonstrates a depth to the pipeline I haven’t seen since I’ve been paying attention (roughly 10 years).

That said, I still hope the Dougs will at least continue to add some high picks to the cupboard over the next year or two.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
As someone who only has the prospect discussion here as a way to gauge the pipeline (I wish I had more time to watch Jr. hockey, but alas not in my cards) - seeing what types of players are being discussed the further we get into these rankings I find myself really excited and encouraged.

I feel like in past years players like Brandon Coe would be in the running right about now, and the fact that he isn’t (no knock on him) really demonstrates a depth to the pipeline I haven’t seen since I’ve been paying attention (roughly 10 years).

That said, I still hope the Dougs will at least continue to add some high picks to the cupboard over the next year or two.
It's super exciting just looking at the names we haven't voted in yet. Who knows what we have in Melnichuk and Gaudreau. Coe and Guschin should both score high point totals in the OHL this year. Blichfeld, Chehkovich, and Chemelevski all have chances to become regulars if they can prove themselves this year. And one of the guys I really like is Adam Raska. He's a complete pest. He's the type of guy I want on our 4th line one day...just skating around looking to cause trouble.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017

Coe is actually a decent prospect too. I think he has a very good chance at being an NHLer, albeit in a 4th line or maybe 3rd line role. Giant guy who is a pretty decent skater for his size, physical, very defensively responsible, and also with some pretty good hands and a damn good wrister. Not super similar to Wingels in terms of play style, but I can see him being a similar quality of player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad