Prospect Info: San Jose Sharks #11 Prospect

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the #11 prospect for the Sharks?

• Jack Thompson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jake Furlong

• Colton Roberts

• Mattias Havelid

• Magnus Chrona

• Georgi Romanov

• Christian Kirsch

• Yaroslav Korostelyov

• David Klee

• Cam Lund

• Theo Jacobsson

• Reese Laubach

• Tristen Robins

• Axel Landen

• Joey Muldowney

• Artem Guryev

• Eli Barnett

• Michael Fisher

• Timofei Spitserov

• Valtteri Pulli

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
You know the drill. Age cutoff 25, NHL games played cutoff 40. Poll will close after 2 days unless the results are incredibly lopsided.

1. Macklin Celebrini ~95%
2. Will Smith ~90%
3. Sam Dickinson ~95%
4. Quentin Musty ~49%
5. Shakir Mukhamadullin ~77%
6. Igor Chernyshov ~39%
7. Filip Bystedt ~34%
8. David Edstrom ~54%
9. Kasper Halttunen ~69%
10. Ty "The Prospect" Emberson ~26%

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Oh, that’s fair. I’ll add him to the next poll.

Good. I can feel his breakout coming. He's had 46 points with SKA St. Petersburg in the KHL. I mean, sure that's over a span of 4 seasons but we just need to patiently wait for the day when everything clicks for him and then we'll be set with the perfect linemate for Kunin and Celebrini.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
You know things are good when you are at #11 prospect with there being Cagnoni, Sahlin-Wallenius, Graf, Pohlkamp, Hävelid and Gushchin still on the board.

EDIT: How can I forget Cardwell and Wetsch, those are very likely future bottom 6 candidates.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
You know things are good when you are at #11 prospect with there being Cagnoni, Sahlin-Wallenius, Graf, Pohlkamp, Hävelid and Gushchin still on the board.

EDIT: How can I forget Cardwell and Wetsch, those are very likely future bottom 6 candidates.
If you're being generous, there's like 20ish C-level prospects still on the list that are worth trying to develop.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
And it's not even like he had a bad season. Good example of how prospects need to be taking massive leaps in their development each year to have any hope of becoming a top 6 forward or top pairing defenseman.
Just so happens we added about 5 new prospects in the past year since also that can be argued to be farther along in the development or have higher potential.

Some dropped, others rised up, some stagnated.

You could do these lists with the exact same prospects in back to back years and the outcome would never be the same.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I went with Cagnoni here. All of the players remaining seem less likely than not to be NHL players. Cagnoni is the one who just had a phenomenal season so I went with him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
You think a solid mid 6 winger is the highest ceiling left? That’s a bad take.
Everyone left are either very late round draft picks or players at the end of there rope as prospect chances. They either didn’t have top end talent when drafted that could get them to top 6 role or they have not produced good enough at the next level to show any potential to be a top 6 player.

Graf is the only one that intrigues me with potential top 6 player and even he is a long shot.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Who left has “good second line” or “good second pairing” upside? I don’t see anyone. I see a lot of potential middle-six forwards and bottom pairing defensemen.
The point is ceiling. Which I would easily argue LSW, Gushchin, Cagnoni all have higher ceilings.

Everyone left are either very late round draft picks or players at the end of there rope as prospect chances. They either didn’t have top end talent when drafted that could get them to top 6 role or they have not produced good enough at the next level to show any potential to be a top 6 player.

Graf is the only one that intrigues me with potential top 6 player and even he is a long shot.
Time I learned a 2nd round pick is a late round pick.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Who left has “good second line” or “good second pairing” upside? I don’t see anyone. I see a lot of potential middle-six forwards and bottom pairing defensemen.

I agree. I could hear if EVERYTHING goes right for Cam Lund (like absolutely everything) there’s a top 6 guy there someday. But that would be absolutely maxing his ceiling.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The point is ceiling. Which I would easily argue LSW, Gushchin, Cagnoni all have higher ceilings.

Time I learned a 2nd round pick is a late round pick.
I suppose as with anything it’s down to opinion, but I absolutely do not see “good second line” potential in Gushchin or “good second pairing D” in LSW or Cagnoni at all. I see Gushchin as “okay 2nd liner on terrible team” or “solid 3rd liner on a team specifically constructed to allow their third line softer minutes”. I think a LOT of things would have to go right for either LSW or Cagnoni to even make the NHL, I don’t see any way either can be a true top-4 D. Small left-handed defensemen with non-elite skating and non-elite skill don’t tend to become top-4 on good teams.

• Wow
Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I suppose as with anything it’s down to opinion, but I absolutely do not see “good second line” potential in Gushchin or “good second pairing D” in LSW or Cagnoni at all. I see Gushchin as “okay 2nd liner on terrible team” or “solid 3rd liner on a team specifically constructed to allow their third line softer minutes”. I think a LOT of things would have to go right for either LSW or Cagnoni to even make the NHL, I don’t see any way either can be a true top-4 D. Small left-handed defensemen with non-elite skating and non-elite skill don’t tend to become top-4 on good teams.
I'm more optimistic about Sahlin Wallenius, though I get the concerns about his upside. But I see a guy who's more mid-sized than small (6 feet with room to fill out), and while calling his skating elite might be a bit rich, everything I saw said he was one of the best skaters in the draft.

And while he did fall into the Sharks' laps later in the 2nd round, he was frequently seen as a guy with late-first potential. Anyway, I might just be a little biased because I love a good-skating d-man, and I have a soft spot for someone who gets dinged because he's just (just!) a complete player with no true standout/splashy tools.

I'm not going to expect more than a 3rd pairing guy, but with that complete package, good skating, and supposedly good smarts/vision, I don't see why his ceiling would't be as a 2nd pairing d-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad