Value of: Sam Steel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It's starting to appear as though a change of scenery may be in Steel's best interest. He seems to be lacking the confidence to do much of anything with the puck, completely negates his biggest strength which has always been his vision/IQ. He doesn't really have the physical tools or assertiveness to impact a game much otherwise, he's responsible and reliable but not reaching his potential.

The Ducks have other young(er) forwards who are flourishing, in particular a couple young centers who have clearly established themselves more, and it may be time to give Steel a fresh start in a different system. I think Ducks fans across the board were rooting for his success as he seems like a great kid, with a tough back story and happened to be a fan of the team himself - but at a certain point it can be best for both sides to move on if a player's development seems stalled.

Is there a team out there lacking in center depth, who may have a young winger or Dman in a similar situation?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What changed?

Not sure if there's one particular thing responsible for Steel having seemingly plateaued. Some will say that the team has try to pigeonhole him into a grinder role to the point of stamping out his offensive confidence. I don't really subscribe to that theory, in my opinion Steel had to become defensively reliable in order to stick in the NHL. Despite his big junior numbers perhaps leading some to overhype his offensive upside, Steel was never going to be more than a secondary producer. He doesn't have the tools to stand out physically and needs to be savvy and reliable to carve out a role at this level.

Really has been since his rookie pro season (2018/19), where Steel was quite productive in the AHL and then found chemistry playing Rakell and Silfverberg late in the year, that we last saw any extended stretch of offensive confidence. Many felt that he should have been sent back down at times over the ensuing two seasons when he was clearly struggling to have much impact, and was still waiver exempt.

At this point, the Ducks are looking pretty good with Zegras/Getzlaf/Lundestrom down the middle, with McTavish possibly replacing Getzlaf at some point. Steel's best chance at becoming a top 9 center is likely elsewhere, and he hasn't shown to be any more impactful on the wing in small samples.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This seems like it might be a good time to bring up Kailer Yamamoto. Seems like a similar situation, but Steel fits better positionally in our lineup.
I'd drive him to Edmonton and I don't even like Yamamoto that much.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
How’s his skating?
He's a pretty good skater.... He is decent at everything but great at nothing. He'll turn into a Logan Shaw/Nick Shore/Carter Rowney role type player, decent depth and can chip in points every once in a while. He will also make a play every 10-15 games that make you say wow, but that's all I can say about him.

Reactions: Perratrooper

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He's a pretty good skater.... He is decent at everything but great at nothing. He'll turn into a Logan Shaw/Nick Shore/Carter Rowney role type player, decent depth and can chip in points every once in a while. He will also make a play every 10-15 games that make you say wow, but that's all I can say about him.
He seems to do that against Edmonton a lot, ha ha. Maybe that's why I still have interest in him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Dermott?

He's nothing special but he does well on the bottom pair, he's being overtaken by younger better players like Steel as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad