Confirmed with Link: Sam Bennett and 6th (2022) traded to Florida for 2nd (2022) and Emil Heineman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He started off playing wing with Backlund and Colborne who were defensively sound with decent skill, tenacity and speed to centering dudes like Brouwer and Neal who he couldn't really rely on at all. Other guys were inconsistent or out injured like jankowski, Jagr, versteeg, chiasson, Frolik. He finally found chemistry with lucic and Dube but that wasn't permanent either.

His line mates and usage got progressively worse.

Yeah, I know I'm part of that group without being named nor saying 60 points, but I'm not backing down. I'll easy crow on that even if I could back down and not make that claim and avoid the crow. Dude has been sand bagged and playing with no confidence in himself and his line mates for years. The fresh start will do him really, really good.

Thinking he still has occasional 0.70- 0.75 point per game potential in a season isnt crazy IMO. That's trocheck or foligno range. Good but not quite borderline star. I think Bennett still has at least that upside left. I don't agree he will never really break 0.50 points per game in a season ever again.

He can be a Nick Foligno without that one good year. Basically a 30s pt guy.

I doubt he will ever get to Trotchek level.

Another problem with Bennett is he is getting expensive for a bottom 6

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The NHL is the only professional sports league in the world where it's not a death sentence to not have it all figured it out by 24. Bennett's shown a willingness to adapt and learn under a variety of different coaches and thrived with the only two half decent guys that have taught him. I'd easily take the over on him hitting 35

As a sports fan, I’ll have to correct you there.

Baseball primes aren’t until guys’ 30’s usually. Not unusual for guys to be in their late 20’s before they become decent players.

Football is also not uncommon based on the position. Many QBs do their 4 years in college, 2 years of clipboarding to become starters at the age of 24/25; and are average for a season or two.

Only really basketball and soccer it’s expected you’re a good player by like 20 years old haha.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
He can be a Nick Foligno without that one good year. Basically a 30s pt guy.

I doubt he will ever get to Trotchek level.

Another problem with Bennett is he is getting expensive for a bottom 6

The question was whether Bennett had a 35-40 point season left in him. If some of you are claiming he's more Foligno that Trocheck as a regular basis, fine. But that wasn't the question. The question was whether he had one of those types of seasons left. I'm not arguing he's going to be a regular 50-55 point season guy, I'm saying I could see him with a career year in the 50 range like a Foligno or a Trocheck season.

I'm saying I could easily see him have a random blip like a Foligno good year or occasionally flirt with something closer to what Trocheck achieved on a good year. Sam Bennett is 24, not 34. He has plenty of opportunities remaining to have a random blip career year in the 40-55 points range.

While I agree with you that he likely will not get to a Trocheck level consistency wise, I still hold hope that maybe he pulls off a Trocheck lite and sticks as a valuable contributor in the middle 6 on another team. We can just agree to disagree about what his capabilities and remaining potential is from this point on. I prefer to hope he will succeed. If you're hell bent on thinking he will bust elsewhere, that's fine. That's your opinion. But there's really no point in trying to convince each other. Let's just agree to keep occasional tabs on his career and let it play out instead of wondering what it might end up like.

Reactions: DFF

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The question was whether Bennett had a 35-40 point season left in him. If some of you are claiming he's more Foligno that Trocheck as a regular basis, fine. But that wasn't the question. The question was whether he had one of those types of seasons left. I'm not arguing he's going to be a regular 50-55 point season guy, I'm saying I could see him with a career year in the 50 range like a Foligno or a Trocheck season.

I'm saying I could easily see him have a random blip like a Foligno good year or occasionally flirt with something closer to what Trocheck achieved on a good year. Sam Bennett is 24, not 34. He has plenty of opportunities remaining to have a random blip career year in the 40-55 points range.

While I agree with you that he likely will not get to a Trocheck level consistency wise, I still hold hope that maybe he pulls off a Trocheck lite and sticks as a valuable contributor in the middle 6 on another team. We can just agree to disagree about what his capabilities and remaining potential is from this point on. I prefer to hope he will succeed. If you're hell bent on thinking he will bust elsewhere, that's fine. That's your opinion. But there's really no point in trying to convince each other. Let's just agree to keep occasional tabs on his career and let it play out instead of wondering what it might end up like.

For Bennett to be scoring like Trocheck, he would have to be consistent like he has never been in his life. I guess it’s possible but I am not holding my breath

After 6 yrs of hoping, I am glad it’s over

I still think Bennett is a good valuable player but the hype is over. He is what he is. Maybe slightly better than the last couple years but not much.

BTW, except for the one great year, Foligno is basically a 30 pt player, not 50. That’s why I think it’s a good comparison for Bennett.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
As a sports fan, I’ll have to correct you there.

Baseball primes aren’t until guys’ 30’s usually. Not unusual for guys to be in their late 20’s before they become decent players.

Football is also not uncommon based on the position. Many QBs do their 4 years in college, 2 years of clipboarding to become starters at the age of 24/25; and are average for a season or two.

Only really basketball and soccer it’s expected you’re a good player by like 20 years old haha.

Basketball players' primes tend to be around age 27-32 ish actually. Many future all-stars are still playing college ball at age 20, and a lot of the precocious one-and-done types end up with rocky starts to their career and have a lot of muscle+skill they need to add.

The difference though is that basketball players have to prove themselves as at least bench NBAers earlier because the development leagues are not as advanced as the AHL.

Basketball is, however, a lot more blatant about tanking because the rosters are smaller and court time is limited to seven or eight guys with the stars being on the court for 75-80% of games.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Basketball players' primes tend to be around age 27-32 ish actually. Many future all-stars are still playing college ball at age 20, and a lot of the precocious one-and-done types end up with rocky starts to their career and have a lot of muscle+skill they need to add.

The difference though is that basketball players have to prove themselves as at least bench NBAers earlier because the development leagues are not as advanced as the AHL.

Basketball is, however, a lot more blatant about tanking because the rosters are smaller and court time is limited to seven or eight guys with the stars being on the court for 75-80% of games.

Modern NBA most guys are drafted by 19/20 (one and done) and expected to contribute as early as their rookie season in most cases, with sophomore seasons being their ‘breakout’ years.

Prime year is 27, similar to hockey. But a guy who doesn’t establish himself as a regular (starter or 2 bench) by 24 generally won’t be much or anything. I can’t recall a player who was deep bench/reserve at like 25 who became a key player in an organization.

For example, at the all star game this season, only a single player wasn’t a contributor by 21, and that was a euro big who came to NA at 21. The rest were drafted at age 18 or 19. Your position would be true if this was 2008 or earlier though.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Modern NBA most guys are drafted by 19/20 (one and done) and expected to contribute as early as their rookie season in most cases, with sophomore seasons being their ‘breakout’ years.

Prime year is 27, similar to hockey. But a guy who doesn’t establish himself as a regular (starter or 2 bench) by 24 generally won’t be much or anything. I can’t recall a player who was deep bench/reserve at like 25 who became a key player in an organization.

For example, at the all star game this season, only a single player wasn’t a contributor by 21, and that was a euro big who came to NA at 21. The rest were drafted at age 18 or 19. Your position would be true if this was 2008 or earlier though.
The only guy I can think of so far is Pascal Siakam, but he started playing basketball at 18 so he's more of an anomaly compared to hockey players or other basketball players who have been playing their whole lives

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The only guy I can think of so far is Pascal Siakam, but he started playing basketball at 18 so he's more of an anomaly compared to hockey players or other basketball players who have been playing their whole lives

He started more than half of his games in his rookie season.
By 24 he was playing 30+ minutes a night as a starter.

Even here where we're talking really tight timelines, before the guy's 25 he's a major contributor :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Not that this is super relevant, but I am finding more and more elite talent baseball players are contributing big in their first few seasons, much like elite hockey talents.

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
btw, now that Florida finally got their franchise #1C, they are gonna trade us Barkov (re-signed for 8 years / $8M per) for Monahan and 2nd? right?

Reactions: Bond

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Okg will be happy. Bennett’s first projected line is him centering Huberdeau and Duclair. That might be the most talented line he has centered

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Huberdeau and Duclair are gonna have words with Q afterwards
Friendly Florida fan: Bennett is an upgrade over Wallmark, our other options. When healthy we have six good winger options (Huby, Duke, Vatrano (11 3rd/ot goals), Gusev,Hornqvist, Verhaege). Q is being smart by trying to get three functional lines by having Bennett plays as a C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad