Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Is anyone else not buying this great offseason Dallas had? Seems like they added random players with no worry about fit. All that with Hitch coaching.... Dont really see them doing much damage.

They've had a very good off season from a player acquisition side, but not sure about the coaching fit.

Here is their potential roster (just guessing at line combos and moving players around a bit):

Benn-Seguin-Radulov
Janmark-Hanzal-Spezza (moved Spezza to RW due to center depth)
Roussel-Faksa-Ritchie
McKenzie-Shore-Pitlick/Flynn

That's an absurdly good offense.

Methot-Klingberg
Hamhuis-Johns
Lindell/Nemeth-Honka/Pateryn

Missing a number 1 D, but a lot of depth and a few youngsters with potential in Lindell, Nemeth, and Honka.

Bishop
Lentonen

They look really good on paper. Of course, paper doesn't mean much if the coach can't get the paper to play like they should.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Hey, henkenorrswede. Welcome.
For me, Sheary is too much to pay for Girgs.
Think more Pouliot and a pick or Wilson + a pick.

Fiddler's pretty meh and old.
ETA: Yea, after checking his stats. He's done.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I've been saying for all of these discussions that if we can replace Maatta as a #4 then I'm fine trading him. So if we can do that with picks or depth guys, then I'm perfectly fine moving Maatta.

And not just any 4D. Maatta was taking on the hardest assignments last year and still ended up with a ridiculous GA, despite mostly being with a guy we all agreed to be a bad fit. I feel like that's gonna be relatively difficult to replace on the cheap.

But then, barring doing it all in picks, or some freak-ass lucky nickel and dime using Pouliot and Wilson, this will probably sting a little.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Doan is mostly a RW now, I don't think he has played LW in about 6-7 years. And we have Reaves as RW4.

So no.

Letang did not play a single minute in the playoffs, yet he is important too. Hornqvist played a vital role and he is important. Bonino played an important role, but will be replaced. And on and on and on.

It depends on what would be coming back in a Hornqvist trade.

I will say this again: how long can we keep Jake Guentzel OFF the first PP unit?

Sooner or later, Hornqvist becomes a bottom-six winger and second PP unit guy on this team.

His value, at that point, changes for us imo.

I don't want Fehr. We moved him because he was too expensive for what he provided, and was basically replaced by the cheaper Carter Rowney. We already have a Fehr in our organization, we don't need him back.

No. I do not want Kruger for free. He provides nothing offensively.

I don't like Jokinen as a C at all, but I totally agree with your idea of buying low on a young guy.

Galchenyuk is the obvious for me, but also Teuvo Teravainen, Mark Jankowski in Calgary, Devin Shore in Dallas and NOW maybe Pavel Zacha in Jersey. If he is at all available, maybe we could package Pouliot and Hagelin for him? Maybe Ray Ray would bite.

I think they move Henrique before Zacha.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Malamud's a respected Russian hockey writer, but I'm not sure what he's getting at with that.

He's the go to guy for anything KHL related.

Hes extremely reliable when it comes to Russian players.

Hmmm. Well I will take your collective word on that, but seems like he's reaching there. I can't see the Blackhawks of all teams, acquiring Kovalchuk either as a matter of the type of player they like, or as a matter of cap management. I mean which ~ 6M player are they trading to NJ?

Stranger things have happened i guess but this one seems pretty far-fetched.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Iam truthfully not so eager to give up Bryan Rust(2nd option)

Sorry for my bad English and sorry for my first post being so long
;)
Your English is much better than my Swedish. I'm only coming up with "smoregasboard" and now Google tells me that it is not a Scandanavian word.

I would be much more inclined to give up Rust than Sheary. (I don't want to give up either.) I think its harder to find guys as skilled as Sheary vs the speed of Rust.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
And not just any 4D. Maatta was taking on the hardest assignments last year and still ended up with a ridiculous GA, despite mostly being with a guy we all agreed to be a bad fit. I feel like that's gonna be relatively difficult to replace on the cheap.

B

And he performed more than adequately despite the Ron Hainsey anchor tied around his ankle during the playoffs

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
hello again and thank you
for really Quick reply ....
:)
:handclap:

well then i know lil more ty kindly.

Welcome, nice to have you.
To answer your question imo Sheary is too much an overpayment for zegmus. Definitely wouldn't do rust either. However I value rust more than Sheary personally. I seem to be in the minority there. But I'll take the guy with double the playoff production in same games played over the guy with better regular season stats, everyday and twice on sunday.

Having said all this I'm actually a really big fan of z,and would love to have him. I've eluded to it in the past, he hard to play against and he's got enough of tools in the toolbox offensively to get a bump in production with better quality of linemates.

My offer would be Wilson and a pick. I'm not real sure how high of a pick,would depend on what other options I had.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Is anyone else not buying this great offseason Dallas had? Seems like they added random players with no worry about fit. All that with Hitch coaching.... Dont really see them doing much damage.

Yup, I am right with you. They look like a rudderless ship right now, without any direction. And Hitch is going to ruin several of those young dudes over there.

They've had a very good off season from a player acquisition side, but not sure about the coaching fit.

Here is their potential roster (just guessing at line combos and moving players around a bit):

Benn-Seguin-Radulov
Janmark-Hanzal-Spezza (moved Spezza to RW due to center depth)
Roussel-Faksa-Ritchie
McKenzie-Shore-Pitlick/Flynn

That's an absurdly good offense.

Methot-Klingberg
Hamhuis-Johns
Lindell/Nemeth-Honka/Pateryn

Missing a number 1 D, but a lot of depth and a few youngsters with potential in Lindell, Nemeth, and Honka.

Bishop
Lentonen

They look really good on paper. Of course, paper doesn't mean much if the coach can't get the paper to play like they should.

I don't see it. This amazing offense, I just don't see it. Oh sure with some other coach maybe. But on a Hitch team? He is going to use Hanzal like he used to use David Backes (too much). He is going to use Radulov like he used to use Tarasenko (not enough). Etc.

And Spezza is going to want out by the end of day 1 of camp.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know I'm super late to the party but I'm really digging the offseason the Penguins are having, so far.

Gargantuan overpayment for Ryan Reaves, aside.

Team will look much different next year, that's for sure. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that they let Fleury, Bonino and especially Kunitz walk in one offseason. After winning the Cup. Really goes a long way toward putting most lingering concerns to rest.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Malamud's the guy that seems to really dislike Ovy for some reason.

So he's got that goin' for him... .
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yup, I am right with you. They look like a rudderless ship right now, without any direction. And Hitch is going to ruin several of those young dudes over there.

I don't see it. This amazing offense, I just don't see it. Oh sure with some other coach maybe. But on a Hitch team? He is going to use Hanzal like he used to use David Backes (too much). He is going to use Radulov like he used to use Tarasenko (not enough). Etc.

Like I said, on paper it's an elite offense. I don't like the Hitch hire, but we will see how it works out.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
Hitch apparently loves Spezza,was raving about him when he had him in world's a couple years ago. I just read that a couple minutes ago,so I don't know the whole back story tbh. I think they have improved the most on paper. Then again how that paper improvement translates to success is always a sketchy bear. Ask...cough cough...washington!

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal

If Spezza wants out then great, **** contract and NTC to boot.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Eh, I know you don't like him, but I still don't see how trading a fringe NHL player and moving down from pick #31 to pick #51 for one of the leagues most impactful fourth liners is that bad of a deal.

yep. Overpayment, sure. But gargantuan is just crazy hyperbole. We simply didn't give up enough to be gargantuan anything, regardless of the return.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Eh, I know you don't like him, but I still don't see how trading a fringe NHL player and moving down from pick #31 to pick #51 for one of the leagues most impactful fourth liners is that bad of a deal.

I understand that you have to give up a bit to land the guy you want. Even if that guy is... Ryan Reaves. But I'm not at all sold. We'll see how he actually fits with the team, of course. I get the thought behind it, I truly do. But it's not like I've never watched the guy. I know what he can and cannot do. And this almost just seems like... I dunno... really expensive message sending.

But I mean... I'd love to be wrong. I sure hope he exacts that pound of flesh. This team's impact players put up with way to much ********* from way too many cowards.

yep. Overpayment, sure. But gargantuan is just crazy hyperbole. We simply didn't give up enough to be gargantuan anything, regardless of the return.

You guys get hung up on weird stuff. Perhaps a poor word choice, that's all. It's a pretty sizable overpayment. Don't forget tossing Sundqvist into the pile, too. I realize he's suddenly a bust but he still counts for something. Especially with this team's present situation down the middle.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

If Kostin turns out to be a gem then we gave up the opportunity to draft him. Seemed like a Sprong situation where a great pick dropped into the Pens' lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad