SABRES WIN LOTTERY!!!! Will pick #1 overall in the 2018 Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I know there was some discussion re Johan Larsson. There's an article in sportsbladet - one of the biggest newspapers in Sweden who cover hockey more than most. Headline is, 'I'll take good care of Rasmus.' Larsson goes on to say that he's really excited that Rasmus is coming and that he'll take good care of him and show him around and make him feel at home. Sabres european scout Christian Ruuttu claims it's the ideal place for Dahlin since there is nothing to do there except play hockey. :laugh: But Larsson disagrees and says its a good place once you get to know it better and socially it's fine. All the players live close to the rink and there are always things to do although he doesn't specify what. And if there are any problems there will always be someone to help out.

It just ends with him being happy being selected for the WHC since it was a surprise and how he's used to being on PK but would love to be a bit more offensive and score some goals.

”Jag kommer att ta väl hand om Rasmus”

Thanks for the article / link, from a long-time member but infrequent poster. And, as for the bolded, we Sabre fans would like to see that too.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Monday afternoon update after the first time discussing this at work:

I still can’t believe this is real.

Reactions: Fearnot

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

I love the transparency. Good on the NHL, they heard that there was an optics problem with having this all behind closed doors and fixed it. I love seeing how this happens, too -- the preamble, the bored guys in suits, the lawyerly revision of everything, the weird kid stuck in the room and making faces because his dad thought this would be fun for him.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Hahhaha...well, I made a conscious decision not to watch the lottery this year. I heard they were top 3, drank a couple of beers, lost track of the time. She tells me "We're getting...Rasmoose Dallin?" That's how I found out we won. :laugh:
My brother texted me two words: F*ck Yes.

I was napping.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Colorado won the lottery in 2013, they made the playoffs the same year.
Florida won the lottery in 2014 , they made the playoffs in the 2015-2016 season.
Edmonton won the lottery in 2015, they made the playoffs in the 2016-2017 season.
Toronto won the lottery in 2016, they made the playoffs the next two seasons.
NJD won the lottery in 2017, they made the playoffs the same year.
Buffalo won the lottery in 2018, ????????

Time for the Sabres to make the playoffs next season..or at worst the following season. I want to watch some Sabres playoff hockey dammit!

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I love the transparency. Good on the NHL, they heard that there was an optics problem with having this all behind closed doors and fixed it. I love seeing how this happens, too -- the preamble, the bored guys in suits, the lawyerly revision of everything, the weird kid stuck in the room and making faces because his dad thought this would be fun for him.
I'm pretty sure they've put out videos like this in the past

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
philhouse.png

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
This might be the best draft to win since MacDavid? And before that? The step down between Dahlin-Svech might even be bigger than MacD-Eich in the end...

If you believe Kris Baker, it may be there hasn't been a D like this since Dennis Potvin. You had Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby and McDavid in the same span of time, along with a cast of almost-as-good talents nipping at those guys as generational notoriety.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I mean, I thought about it a few times, in the same sort of "wouldn't it be cool if..." sort of way that I sometimes daydream about winning the Powerball.

As in, something fun to fantasize about a bit, but not something that you seriously expect to ever actually happen, or even consider as a real possibility.

That's the way I thought about Dahlin and the Sabres.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
They have shown the actual drawing afterward the last couple of times IIRC. Good to see for the sake of transparency as you said.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
So... not trying to stir anything up just going on record that I now believe I was wrong in my calculation of the sabres odds at the 1st pick after the top 3 were announced, and apologize. The sabres odds were indeed 38% and not 60%. I came to the realization after simplifying it down to hypothetically assuming the top 2 picks were the only picks left unannounced:

If 3 through 15 were known, and it was also known that Buffalo and Carolina were the top 2 picks (but not the order), then 1 of the following 2 scenarios happened:

Buffalo won the 1st lottery, and Carolina the 2nd.
or
Carolina won the 1st lottery, and Buffalo the 2nd.

The odds of either specific event happening are small. But, they're nearly equally small. The first result would have happened just 00.68% of the time, and the 2nd result would have happened just 00.57% of the time. But given one of those 2 outcomes DID happen, Buffalo would have had the top pick 54% of the time. Not much better than a 50/50 split. That's actually what the odds became once Montreal was announced at 3rd, I believe. Certainly not the 185/215=86% odds I thought at the time was the case once Montreal was announced at 3rd.

Given that realization, those who worked out the 6 possible combination of top 3 picks, the odds of each of the 6 combinations occurring, and then the conditional odds of a specific result given that 1 of the 6 results DID occur, were absolutely correct. I apologize for stubbornly refusing to listen, to those of you who were trying to explain. Makes perfect and obvious sense now that I've had some time to think about it.

What I am failing at is understanding where the method that calculated the sabres odds at 60% once the top 3 were revealed went wrong. Or said another way, I'm trying to understand what the correct way to calculate the effect on the odds based on the information that a team did *not* win a lottery. Similar to the 2 ways you can calculate the odds of rolling a 5 or a 6 on a die. Method 1: 5 was rolled *or* 6 was rolled (1/6 + 1/6). Method 2: not 1 *and* not 2 *and* not 3 *and* not 4 (5/6 * 4/5 * 3/4 * 2/3 = 2/6). Those who got it right were using 1 method (Buffalo *and* Montreal *and* Carolina won a lottery), and the rest of us who got 60% were trying to use the other method, but using it incorrectly (Fla didn't win a lottery *and* Philly didn't win *and* Dallas didn't win *and* etc etc etc). The 2 methods calculated properly will give the same answer, and that answer will be that when the top 3 teams were known Buffalo had just a 38% chance at the 1st pick given the known information.

In any event, when I get a spare minute or 2 I'm putting together an excel VBA lottery simulator to verify. I actually started the simulator first, when I thought I'd be proving the 38%ers wrong, but then worked it out for myself before I finished. But I'll probably still finish the simulator anyways just for fun. If I run the simulator 100,000 times, Buf, Car, and Mtl are expected to be the top 3 (in some order) 451 times. Of the 451 times, 172 should have Buf 1st (38%), 150 should have Buf 2nd (33%), and 129 should have Buf 3rd (29%). That was the correct answer all along. Mea Culpa. I see it now.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't understand the point of trying to calculate this, other than as a math exercise. In real life, the odds were hard-stop at 18.5%. They don't get better, worse, or even change at all based on who remains in the mix of the edited for television version of how the draft played out. In real life, the Sabres had won the first overall before the Canadiens and Hurricanes were even advised they won a lottery pick. It's not as if the three lottery teams went back into the barrel for a redraw...Buffalo won 1st overall *and* third overall on the initial draw, Montreal only got in on the redraw as Buffalo obviously can't win two top-three picks (though that would be sweet).

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
So... not trying to stir anything up just going on record that I now believe I was wrong in my calculation of the sabres odds at the 1st pick after the top 3 were announced, and apologize. The sabres odds were indeed 38% and not 60%. I came to the realization after simplifying it down to hypothetically assuming the top 2 picks were the only picks left unannounced:

If 3 through 15 were known, and it was also known that Buffalo and Carolina were the top 2 picks (but not the order), then 1 of the following 2 scenarios happened:

Buffalo won the 1st lottery, and Carolina the 2nd.
or
Carolina won the 1st lottery, and Buffalo the 2nd.

The odds of either specific event happening are small. But, they're nearly equally small. The first result would have happened just 00.68% of the time, and the 2nd result would have happened just 00.57% of the time. But given one of those 2 outcomes DID happen, Buffalo would have had the top pick 54% of the time. Not much better than a 50/50 split. That's actually what the odds became once Montreal was announced at 3rd, I believe. Certainly not the 185/215=86% odds I thought at the time was the case once Montreal was announced at 3rd.

Given that realization, those who worked out the 6 possible combination of top 3 picks, the odds of each of the 6 combinations occurring, and then the conditional odds of a specific result given that 1 of the 6 results DID occur, were absolutely correct. I apologize for stubbornly refusing to listen, to those of you who were trying to explain. Makes perfect and obvious sense now that I've had some time to think about it.

What I am failing at is understanding where the method that calculated the sabres odds at 60% once the top 3 were revealed went wrong. Or said another way, I'm trying to understand what the correct way to calculate the effect on the odds based on the information that a team did *not* win a lottery. Similar to the 2 ways you can calculate the odds of rolling a 5 or a 6 on a die. Method 1: 5 was rolled *or* 6 was rolled (1/6 + 1/6). Method 2: not 1 *and* not 2 *and* not 3 *and* not 4 (5/6 * 4/5 * 3/4 * 2/3 = 2/6). Those who got it right were using 1 method (Buffalo *and* Montreal *and* Carolina won a lottery), and the rest of us who got 60% were trying to use the other method, but using it incorrectly (Fla didn't win a lottery *and* Philly didn't win *and* Dallas didn't win *and* etc etc etc). The 2 methods calculated properly will give the same answer, and that answer will be that when the top 3 teams were known Buffalo had just a 38% chance at the 1st pick given the known information.

In any event, when I get a spare minute or 2 I'm putting together an excel VBA lottery simulator to verify. I actually started the simulator first, when I thought I'd be proving the 38%ers wrong, but then worked it out for myself before I finished. But I'll probably still finish the simulator anyways just for fun. If I run the simulator 100,000 times, Buf, Car, and Mtl are expected to be the top 3 (in some order) 451 times. Of the 451 times, 172 should have Buf 1st (38%), 150 should have Buf 2nd (33%), and 129 should have Buf 3rd (29%). That was the correct answer all along. Mea Culpa. I see it now.

Assuming the NHL sticks with this format for the Draft Lottery Reveal, I expect that the math on this will be all worked out by analysts (and online simulators) in time for next year's lottery.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
In real life, the odds were hard-stop at 18.5%. They don't get better, worse, or even change at all based on who remains in the mix of the edited for television version of how the draft played out.

This isn't correct. The odds of any particular outcome having occurred changed as more information became available.

As the most obvious example of this, the winning odds of each team that was announced at 7:30 fell immediately to 0% as those teams were announced.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
It is worth doing as a math exercise, because by understanding it in real life, depending how scrupulous you are, you can win money from others who don't understand how the probabilities change with the benefit of additional knowledge. Or alternatively you can protect yourself from losing money in such circumstances.

It's a variant or analogy to the Monte Hall problem.

Given the adamant stance many of us had re: "right" vs. "wrong" methodology (or 3rd or 4th, or 5th methodologies) from what are, "generally speaking" member of the "cognitive elite" (to invoke two of Jordan Peterson's pet phrases), it shows how even intelligent people can be persuaded by false arguments from perceived authority.

Reactions: Sabretooth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad