Speculation: Sabres 1st round pick (11th overall) in play

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I know there have been questions on future of Joker in Buffalo and need for a better RD who can pair/fit better with other defenders Sabres have

To :hawks
D Henri Jokiharju (RFA)
11th overall pick
43rd overall pick

To :sabres
D Connor Murphy (2 x $4.4M)
18th overall pick
34th overall pick

Hawks jump to #11 in draft and get a younger RD back in deal

Sabres get a vet SAH upgrade at RD who can PK and while downgrading 1st round pick improve 2nd round pick.

Joker being RFA in need of raise and not potentially being fit in Buffalo makes moving on from him easier for Sabres IMO. He was also an inherited piece for GM and they may not want to commit a raise and extension to him. Hawks have plenty of room and signing Joker to a 2-year deal shouldn't be issue as he can hold fort on right side until Rinzel (Or I assume Levshunov comes along)

Murphy has limited NTC but given direction Sabres are moving (Nearly made playoffs) and Hawks being 2nd worst team in NHL and in full rebuild convincing him to waive it for Buffalo (If they are on his list) may not be a difficult move
I'm certainly not as well versed as Blackhawks fans on what Murphy is these days, but I'd have to imagine some of the shine has worn off there. He's a year older coming off a rough season, he then fought an injury that kept him out for a sizable portion of the year which seems like it could be a chronic thing (I'm not a medical professional but I believe this is the same thing Couture has been dealing with). I'd be reluctant to give a 2nd round pick for him at this point let alone give up the package you've proposed. Maybe I'm way off base but there's some real red flags here.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see BUF trading the 11 oa if it means that they lose out on Yakemchuk, who is a big, mean, RHD. There will also be players like MBN and Sennecke available, maybe even Iginla. Those guys will provide some size that the roster needs.

I know the Sabres are impatient, but trading the future for an Okposo circa 2016 type isn't always the right way to go.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I don't see BUF trading the 11 oa if it means that they lose out on Yakemchuk, who is a big, mean, RHD. There will also be players like MBN and Sennecke available, maybe even Iginla. Those guys will provide some size that the roster needs.

I know the Sabres are impatient, but trading the future for an Okposo circa 2016 type isn't always the right way to go.
I'd imagine that pick will be in play for a good roster player, it won't be in play for some of these run of the mill guys that are bandied about (see Scott Laughton). If a good enough player isn't available Buffalo should absolutely use the pick instead of settling for some marginal upgrade.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

As a Buffalo fan I hope they trade this pick and keep their top 2-3 prospects. Adams doesn't have time to wait for all the young players to develop and we have dozens of good prospects, you can't hoard them forever.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Do they want a higher end right shot D than Clifton/Jokiharju? Or are they okay playing 1-2 of Byram/Dahlin/Power/Samuelsson on their off side?
The answers are probably yes and yes.

I'm also not sure if the Rangers trade Trouba straight up for 11th either could see it going either way.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
11th, Kulich, and Joki for Rasmus Andersson?
I really like Andersson and understand that his contract is really sweet and he is the best player in that deal but I just don't see the Sabers dealing Kulich and the 11th for him.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You are assuming that you are going to get a Trouba like player in FA right?

From a cap perspective sure they trade Trouba but he definitely brings something extra to the NYR in intimidation that temas value a lot.

Either way the Sabers back end is solid they need forwards help way more.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
You are assuming that you are going to get a Trouba like player in FA right?

From a cap perspective sure they trade Trouba but he definitely brings something extra to the NYR in intimidation that temas value a lot.

Either way the Sabers back end is solid they need forwards help way more.
Rangers would not get anything close to the 11th for Trouba. He is bad.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Rangers would not get anything close to the 11th for Trouba. He is bad.
Sure he is so bad that the other 31 NHL GMs would love to have him on their back end come playoff time right?

Also the Sabers have a huge backlog in terms of prospects something has to give at some point one would think.

All that being said the sabers back end is fine and they should look elsewhere if they want to move their 11th overall, or just keep it and stockpile some more.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Sure he is so bad that the other 31 NHL GMs would love to have him on their back end come playoff time right?

Also the Sabers have a huge backlog in terms of prospects something has to give at some point one would think.

All that being said the sabers back end is fine and they should look elsewhere if they want to move their 11th overall, or just keep it and stockpile some more.
Sabres*

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Yeah, and I think the GM said he was open to trading it last year too…this isn’t really a league where a lot of things are possible. So even if he’s open to it, the opportunity probably won’t be there if he doesn’t want get ripped off in the process.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah this draft is too good to trade the 11th for anything less than a top 6 center/top line winger or top 2/3 D. I mean Adams might be motivated by the fact that he wants to save his job though.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Buffalo need a veteran RHD who can eat 20-22 minutes a night consistently more than another draft pick or another young player.

Unfortunately, there’s not many of those available around the league

How about this ?

Buchnevich + Parayko

For

10th OA + Samuelsson

As a base, with other pieces to even out value and salaries.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
How about this ?

Buchnevich + Parayko

For

10th OA + Samuelsson

I wouldn't trade Samuelson for Parayko, and I wouldn't trade 11th for a one year rental of Buchnevich. (New Jersey owns the 10th pick)

A lot of Sabres fans on these boards are down on Samuelsson due to his injuries last season, but if he is healthy and playing the way he did in 22-23, he is the solution to the Sabres blueline issues.

Reactions: EastVillageBlues

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
How about this ?

Buchnevich + Parayko

For

10th OA + Samuelsson

Value is def there id say. Parayko feels like a risk on our end but I’d probably do it and take the chance on Buch re-signing.

You’ll definitely have our usual guy who has never accepted a trade on this board ever come in and talk about how the value is bad. But I think most Sabres fans think this is at least close to something we could do.

Reactions: EastVillageBlues

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Value is def there id say. Parayko feels like a risk on our end but I’d probably do it and take the chance on Buch re-signing.

You’ll definitely have our usual guy who has never accepted a trade on this board ever come in and talk about how the value is bad. But I think most Sabres fans think this is at least close to something we could do.

Byram
Kulich

For

Parayko
Neighbors

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad