Ryan Suter vs Roman Josi vs Shea Weber (Career)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rank them

• Total voters

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
I know that their careers are not done, especially for Josi, but in your opinion, when all is said and done, how will they rank career wise.

You decide whether you prefer to put more or less emphasis on peak play or on projected longevity or on whatever.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Josi is like 5-6 years younger so he had some ground to make up but by the end of it all he could be top dog.

Weber over Suter is actually suuuuper close but Shea will probably edge out Ryan overall at the end of things.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Off the top of my head, Suter had the most seasons of being a top 5-10 defencemen in the NHL out of these three. Weber with maybe the highest peak? But I think all peaked fairly similarly - top 3 guys.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Weber #1, then I might give an edge to Josi for #2 since he does have that Norris

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Career-wise? Josi has a Norris and a Cup Final appearance. Don't know how Weber or Suter would surpass those achievements in their remaining time.

Josi - Weber - Suter, in that order, but all are really close. I'd probably reverse the order as far as play in their own zone is concerned.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Weber-Suter-Josi for now. Josi could move up though.

Norris Trophy shares insofar.

• Weber 2.4585
  • Josi 1.215
  • Suter 1.1717
Suter is somewhat at a voting disadvantage for being less flashy, but the consensus seems to be Weber-gap-Josi/Suter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Wasnt it majority consensus by NSH fans that Suter was better than Weber? Weber was just flashier with his big hits and shot.

Like someone above said, Suter top 3 underrated player of the 2010 decade.

Top 3-5 defensive defender year in and year out with 40+ points a year. Nuts.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Shea Weber-Roman Josi-Ryan Suter

Weber is the unquestionable number 1 in my opinion. He is one of the best Dmen I've seen come into the league the last 20 years. A true generational talent.

2 and 3 are debatable.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I will never get why Suter is so underrated while eyetest and numbers wises been great defensively and actually has always been great at limiting chances against and providing still great offensive chances with frequent high 40 and some 50 pt seasons.

he was a more subtle defenseman than Weber, didn't have to hit nearly as often, wasn't known for big clappers. Also isn't Canadian.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Wasnt it majority consensus by NSH fans that Suter was better than Weber? Weber was just flashier with his big hits and shot.

If my team was up by 1 in the last minute of the Finals and I had to choose one of three in their primes to defend I'd probably choose Suter, if we were down one I'd choose Weber.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

No most in Nashville would go Weber over Suter.

Josi
Weber
Suter

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Weber was robbed of the Norris in 2011 & 2012, Suter in 2013. Josi may be the only one w/ a trophy but I'm still taking Weber first.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Both Weber and Suter were better from their rookie to about 27 year old seasons. Josi broke out later but is currently better than both. Difficult to say if he'll age well into his mid 30's the way Suter and Weber did. Both Suter and Weber are kind of slowing down at this point. Weber was pretty much robbed of a Norris in Lidstroms career celebration year so I'll consider him and Josi even for peak.

Josi is finally on a "bad team" and having a below-average year. We'll see how his career goes the next few years

Suter could have been #1 if he decided to sign somewhere other than Minny.

Basically for these reasons I went Weber-Josi-Suter. Josi could still be #1.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Both Weber and Suter were better from their rookie to about 27 year old seasons. Josi broke out later but is currently better than both. Difficult to say if he'll age well into his mid 30's the way Suter and Weber did. Both Suter and Weber are kind of slowing down at this point. Weber was pretty much robbed of a Norris in Lidstroms career celebration year so I'll consider him and Josi even for peak.

Josi is finally on a "bad team" and having a below-average year. We'll see how his career goes the next few years

Suter could have been #1 if he decided to sign somewhere other than Minny.

Basically for these reasons I went Weber-Josi-Suter. Josi could still be #1.

OK....I'll bite.

How so?

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
OK....I'll bite.

How so?
More media coverage, better team mates inflating his numbers, actual chance to play meaningful playoff hockey. The best player he played with in Minny is who? He wasn't able to get enough points on the PP or at ES, as a result of playing with scrubs, to win a Norris despite being a candidate for a couple years. Subtracting 5-10 points yearly for playing in Minny adds up to a lot over 10 years.

If he'd gone to a team like Pittsburgh, Washington or Boston who have been constantly relevant for the last 10 years, he'd be the clear #1 with a HOF chance. I don't think he's a HOFer at this point, but I think Weber will "squeak" in because he was the best dman of the new generation post-lockout, despite being robbed of a Norris. That and because he won multiple olympic golds as Canada's #1 dman.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
More media coverage, better team mates inflating his numbers, actual chance to play meaningful playoff hockey. The best player he played with in Minny is who? He wasn't able to get enough points on the PP or at ES, as a result of playing with scrubs, to win a Norris despite being a candidate for a couple years. Subtracting 5-10 points yearly for playing in Minny adds up to a lot over 10 years.

If he'd gone to a team like Pittsburgh, Washington or Boston who have been constantly relevant for the last 10 years, he'd be the clear #1 with a HOF chance. I don't think he's a HOFer at this point, but I think Weber will "squeak" in because he was the best dman of the new generation post-lockout, despite being robbed of a Norris. That and because he won multiple olympic golds as Canada's #1 dman.

Suter has more playoff games under his belt than both Weber and Josi. He also has only 2 fewer power play points in his career than Weber has (234 vs 232).

With Suter leading the way, the Wild's defensive corps has been among the best in the NHL since he arrived in St Paul. And at this point in their respective careers, Suter is the better player, IMO. He's both healthier and more consistent than Weber is, not to mention over 3 minutes more TOI/game than Weber gets with Montreal..

This is actually a decent poll question...and the gap between these 3 players is not nearly as large as some are pretending it to be.

Reactions: Spurgeon

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

As opposed to Weber and Josi who... also didn’t play for those teams ???

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ryan Suter is so underrated

This. Starting from his 25 y/o season :

AS-15,Norris-11
AS-10,Norris-15
AS-6,Norris-8
AS-1,Hart-17,Norris-2
AS-5,Hart-23,Norris-4
AS-9,Norris-9
AS-7,Byng-36,Norris-8
AS-5,Hart-12,Norris-5
AS-13,Norris-13
AS-15,Norris-18
AS-17,Byng-7

1165 games and counting (+ 81 in playoffs, 30 pts), almost 600 pts already, excellent defensively, quite the puck mover. Played in average 27:26 TOI/GP on AVERAGE in his career. That's insane.

I mean, Josi and Weber are really great players too but Suter is wildly underrated. That being said, it's all extremely close. Weber close 2nd to Suter for ME simply because I always found Suter superior defensively and overall. Hard to compare Josi with them as he is younger, it depends what he does in the next 5 years.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Suter has more playoff games under his belt than both Weber and Josi. He also has only 2 fewer power play points in his career than Weber has (234 vs 232).

With Suter leading the way, the Wild's defensive corps has been among the best in the NHL since he arrived in St Paul. And at this point in their respective careers, Suter is the better player, IMO. He's both healthier and more consistent than Weber is, not to mention over 3 minutes more TOI/game than Weber gets with Montreal..

This is actually a decent poll question...and the gap between these 3 players is not nearly as large as some are pretending it to be.
Josi is 6 years younger and played in 6 less playoff games. He also has more conference final games and stanley cup final games. Offensively, Suter is no what near the other 2.

Josi's accomplishments, captained a conference final team, a Presidents Trophy team, a Stanley Cup final team, and won a Norris trophy. I thing that beats Weber shot, and Suter's "eats a lot of minutes"

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Josi is 6 years younger and played in 6 less playoff games. He also has more conference final games and stanley cup final games. Offensively, Suter is no what near the other 2.

Josi's accomplishments, captained a conference final team, a Presidents Trophy team, a Stanley Cup final team, and won a Norris trophy. I thing that beats Weber shot, and Suter's "eats a lot of minutes"

I'm more comparing Suter and Weber, than Suter and Josi...because Suter and Weber are closer in age.

And I'm not sure how you can be that declarative with your bolded statement. The offensive numbers of Suter and Weber are about as close as you can get.

Weber: 1014 GP, 580 points
Suter: 1165 GP, 596 points

Last edited:
Reactions: triggrman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad