Value of: Ryan Spooner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
One of his biggest strengths is his edgework/agility. If you think thats a weakness you arent watching him or have a hard time identifying good skaters. No he isnt strong but he is very shifty, creative and great on the PP. Id trade a 2nd for him in a heartbeat for the sens our pp sucks and he could really help it.

His little 10 and 2 move looks cool but just slows him down and makes him passive. He doesn’t use his figure skater style edgework like a Skinner does to aggressively make moves to put him in a scoring opportunity. One of the reasons the Bruins liked him at RW is that is kept him from doing it. Technically he is a good skater in an empty rink, but it doesn’t translate to being able to beat guys 1 on 1 in the NHL. I don’t disagree about him on the PP. With time and space he has good vision and can pass the puck. He can be a good role player there, sure. I wouldn’t give up a high second when I am losing my first next year if I was Ott, but more power to
you.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
New York is a ****ty place to get a real chance to be a top 6 forward. We're absolutely stacked at forward.

We suck because of our AHL defense and beer league coach.

That's why we're looking to deal him. It's nothing he did wrong, we just don't see him in the outlook. Tbh in two years, I'm not sure I even see Zuccaello in the outlook.

I really wouldn't say ahl defense because the defense combined of ahl guys has played way better than guys like Holden, and such

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I really wouldn't say ahl defense because the defense combined of ahl guys has played way better than guys like Holden, and such

It's funny how well Holden has played in Boston as a role player. With the entire top 4 D having gone down with injuries in the past month he has been perhaps their most important and impactful pickup. Of course he is not playing as big of a role as he was for the Rangers.

Last edited:
Reactions: wafflepadsave

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's funny how well Holden has played in Boston as a role player. With the entire top 4 D having gone down with injuries in the past month he has been perhaps their most important and impactful pickup. Of course he is not playing as big of a role as he was for the Rangers.
He played well here too. I feel like everyone just needed a bullseye for the frustration.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
We will be happy moving Ryan Spooner for your late 1st rnd, or an early 2nd for Ryan Spooner. He is on a PPG race 15 pts. in 16 games after the trade deadline, but I guess that Gorton can`t have too many 25 years old while rebuilding for the future and we have holes we need to fill! :)

My other reason we`ve too many passers on this team at the moment since Ryan only have 3 goals, but 12 assist.

My guess is they sign him. Keep him so they don't put too much pressure on young kids to produce right away. Namestiknov they might use to trade up 5-6 slots with one of their late first rounders.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania

He was playing most of the season with McDonagh on the top pair go figure

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Spooner is great in open ice on transition and on the half wall on the power play. He really found his position this year in Boston on his off wing. He isn’t a center. Not good enough defensively or on the dot to justify being out there. He’s worth whatever a one dimensional 40-50 point smallish wing is worth. Is that a 2nd?

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Spooner is great in open ice on transition and on the half wall on the power play. He really found his position this year in Boston on his off wing. He isn’t a center. Not good enough defensively or on the dot to justify being out there. He’s worth whatever a one dimensional 40-50 point smallish wing is worth. Is that a 2nd?

Its not a knock on Spooner, but thats what he is. He can put up a ton of PP points but simply isnt good enough in the middle to anchor a 2nd line.

I've never minded Spooner, but Sweeney knew he had Donato waiting in the wings and plenty of other RW options coming along in the next year or two.

I'm glad we traded him and not a 2nd round pick, but I DO think hes worth around that given his production.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
As a Ranger fan who wasn't drinking the Spooner koolaid after trade deadline, I agree that if he isn't scoring (points), he's not doing much at all.

My big concern with Spooner isn't that he can't keep this pace points/games, but what kind of contract is he going to want and can we really justify giving a player that's often invisible any substantial deal?

I don't see him wanting a bridge deal. I believe he has arbitration rights so if we wanted to hold onto him for 1 ore year, we probably could make it work, but what type of contract is he really going to want?

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
2nd RDer and a middle level prospect.

Second and C prospect seems fair. You know what Spooner is at this point. He'll score some points and look flashy on the pp. Then he'll ghost out for 10-15 games and play no defense. He's a second line scorer with an AHL all round game.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I'm a Rangers fan, I'd love to get a high return for Spooner.

The fact is, he's exactly what Bruins fans said he was. A skilled offensive player who is useless when he isn't putting up points. I've seen him coasting along (literally coasting, legs not even moving) when back-checking while the man he is supposed to be covering drives the net (this led directly to a goal the other night).

I want no part of him on a team that will likely be full of kids next year. Laziness can be contagious.

Spooner could be useful as a middle-six player on a good with with strong vets. I want Gorts to dump him because he'll be useless to us next year.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I'm a Rangers fan, I'd love to get a high return for Spooner.

The fact is, he's exactly what Bruins fans said he was. A skilled offensive player who is useless when he isn't putting up points. I've seen him coasting along (literally coasting, legs not even moving) when back-checking while the man he is supposed to be covering drives the net (this led directly to a goal the other night).

I want no part of him on a team that will likely be full of kids next year. Laziness can be contagious.

Spooner could be useful as a middle-six player on a good with with strong vets. I want Gorts to dump him because he'll be useless to us next year.

Pretty much this. He's a follower/coaster who is completely useless at times. He'll go PPG for 10 games (like he did) then youll forget hes on the team the next 10.

Not good for a rebuilding team.

Reactions: Ori

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Spooner reminds of me Reilly Smith. Probably a 2nd and a decent prospect who may be a few years away or a 2nd + 4th/5th. I'd take that for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad