Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Spooner recalled 3/18/13

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
So you're saying Spooner is going to be terrible?

No. I am saying Claude has a habit of going with responsible vet/stable defensive presence/whomever is playing well over giving a rookie a lot of opportunities to make mistakes.

I would almost be willing to bet he doesn't start on that line, either. At the very least, it wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I don't really see what the problem with leaving Spooner on the top line is.

Regardless of what Spooner does (good or bad) this team is either getting the #1, #2, or #4 seed in the conference and the playoffs are a crapshoot anyway.

Because if he ends up not cutting it and they don't attempt to resolve the 1st line center position (without dismantling their top scoring line) then they aren't playing to win.

Doesn't appeal to me and just spit-balling here but it probably doesn't appeal to the team, either.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I remember Krejci breaktrough performance at the end of the 07-08 season when Savard got hurt after the Begin cheapshot to help the team make the playoffs as the 8th seed.

Maybe this will be Spooner's chance to take the ball and never look back at the AHL again. All he has to do is show that he's reliable defensively and a better option than Pandolfo. Shouldn't be so tough... :laugh:

Hopefully, Krejci won't miss too much time tough as we are a much better team with him in the lineup.

KHL
March-Bergy-Seguin
Soderberg-Spoon-Peverley
Merlot

I like that line-up a lot. When Kelly comes back there is no need to trade for a forward for the playoffs.

If anything the team could add a veteran defenseman for insurance.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Because if he ends up not cutting it and they don't attempt to resolve the 1st line center position (without dismantling their top scoring line) then they aren't playing to win.

Doesn't appeal to me and just spit-balling here but it probably doesn't appeal to the team, either.

I suppose I mean that for one game or two it's not really a big deal to me. It doesn't seem like Krejci will be out for long.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Hey folks,

First game I've missed in years (that I have not been able to PVR and watch later) and of course it is the first one that Spooner gets to play (real mins).

Can someone please give me a recap on his game as described to someone who is blind (as I essentially am).

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Hey folks,

First game I've missed in years (that I have not been able to PVR and watch later) and of course it is the first one that Spooner gets to play (real mins).

Can someone please give me a recap on his game as described to someone who is blind (as I essentially am).

Faster than I expected. Very poised with the puck, you can see his confidence, he made some nice passes, had a shot, caused a turnover with his aggressive forechecking. He seemed to be in the right spot all night. Quick and smooth. I think someone else will give more details but that's what I saw.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Hey folks,

he good. very good.

he exploded into the offensive zone on one PP rush which had me thinking i was on peyote cuz it's been years since i saw something like it. he almost generated the tying goal on a smart play behind the net, sealing the boards and stealing puck from pavelec. horton didn't bury it though.

got some PP time and made some quick reads, sharp passes. nhl skills, wheels and definitely IQ. still a little frail but he can get by for now.

what sucks is that BNHL and the stat nerds say spooner will never make an impact. really upsetting to hear that. hopes and dreams dashed by numbers on paper!

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Hey folks,

First game I've missed in years as well... I even PVR'd it but there was a *** problem with the recording. So pissed off, even though I know the result now, I was just dying to see Spooner get his real first shot.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
what sucks is that BNHL and the stat nerds say spooner will never make an impact. really upsetting to hear that. hopes and dreams dashed by numbers on paper!

I know. I was getting excited by his play until I remembered that he won't be any good because of that

The only bad thing about his play tonight is that if there any teams out there that are not that clued in to him, they will now say "Spooner" to any trade the Bruins inquire about. If they deal him it better be for something damn good.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
he good. very good.

he exploded into the offensive zone on one PP rush which had me thinking i was on peyote cuz it's been years since i saw something like it. he almost generated the tying goal on a smart play behind the net, sealing the boards and stealing puck from pavelec. horton didn't bury it though.

got some PP time and made some quick reads, sharp passes. nhl skills, wheels and definitely IQ. still a little frail but he can get by for now.

2 games in and he's anointed,wonder where he'll fit.

Bruinsforlife89

Jun 17, 2011
When krejci gets back toss him on the 3rd line with pevs and caron. Or put paille up with him and pevs, and toss macd with soupy and thornton.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Kid played a nice game, loved having that speed on the 1st line, if DK needs more time off, I`d be fine with that as it will give Spoons some practice time with Horty and Looch to put some familiarity together.

A glimpse of what may be.....he came off the half wall on the PP, I believe in the 3rd period, instantly reminded me of Savvy, didn`t convert, but it was something I hadn`t seen in many years for our team

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Hey folks,

He was pretty darn good.

First and foremost, he competed. He hounded guys with the puck and got his body into the battles. He was responsible in his own zone, supporting the D and covering the slot. He blocked a shot. He kept his shifts short and changed at the right times. He dumped it in when he was 1on2- and then used his speed to get to it first and force a turnover.

Offensively, he looked quick and creative. I think he had 3 shots, two off the rush from around the tops of the circles and one spinning wrister right in the slot. He made some nice passes and showed some craftiness down low with one of his open-hip misdirection moves.
He pushed defenders back with his skating on one rush, but didn't have the puck a ton on the PP. Seguin tried to slip 2 or 3 passes across the box to him on the back side of the play but they kept getting deflected before they reached him. He joined the Bergeron unit later in the game and had some nice exchanges with Spooner at the half wall and Marchand down low.

All in all, I'd say he exceeded any reasonable expectations for a kid playing in just his second NHL game.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
He was pretty darn good.

First and foremost, he competed. He hounded guys with the puck and got his body into the battles. He was responsible in his own zone, supporting the D and covering the slot. He blocked a shot. He kept his shifts short and changed at the right times. He dumped it in when he was 1on2- and then used his speed to get to it first and force a turnover.

Offensively, he looked quick and creative. I think he had 3 shots, two off the rush from around the tops of the circles and one spinning wrister right in the slot. He made some nice passes and showed some craftiness down low with one of his open-hip misdirection moves.
He pushed defenders back with his skating on one rush, but didn't have the puck a ton on the PP. Seguin tried to slip 2 or 3 passes across the box to him on the back side of the play but they kept getting deflected before they reached him. He joined the Bergeron unit later in the game and had some nice exchanges with Spooner at the half wall and Marchand down low.

All in all, I'd say he exceeded any reasonable expectations for a kid playing in just his second NHL game.

No one can describe detailed plays like you, playmaker.
You are the very best HFB as to offer.
It is a treat to read your posts.

Thank you bro.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He was pretty darn good.

Great assesment. Won`t happen, but I`d like to see a release of Pandalfo, shift Spoons onto that 3rd line (until I saw him willing to play with some grit, I didn`t think he would fit on a 3rd line but..) when DK returns, you`d then have both Pevs/Spooner with great speed and puck skill and Caron to muck

IHeartBart

Mar 13, 2013
Really impressed with his skating, i loved the little jeff skinner stutter step he does. I really hope chia doesnt deal this kid for a rental

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
He was pretty darn good.

He is a must for the third line center slot now with Kelly out...If he gets sent back, I will be livid.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The kid is a prospect not a suspect for once. Unlike Caron and some other flops on whom this board lavishes praise, Spooner has a future. That said, lets not go overbaord. The line was not productive last night but it was mostly because Milan the magnificent wouldn't pass spooner the puck and Horton was lousy in general.

So Caron is a flop?? Me thinks you thinks this because of draft position and pro expectations. The guy is an exceptionally sound 3RD LINE PLAYER, at best, he`ll end up as a 2nd liner. On one shift alone last night, his work along the boards kept the puck in the Jets zone on 3 occasions, that`s 3 more occasions than I`d suggest Bourque was able to in all his games

If he were a 2nd round pick (and where the B`s picked he practically was) many here would barely mention him, he has the 1st round tag on him, and he`s a flop, sorry, thankfully, most GM`s don`t react this way

I often agree with you, not on this point and I`d argue, he may be part of a deal to acquire someone and NOT because he`s a flop, but because other teams see where he can add value to their lineup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad