Value of: Ryan O'Reilly traded at the deadline?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Ryan O'Reilly's salary is $5,000,000 and his cap hit is $4,500,000 for the 2023-24 season. He is a 32 year old centre who was born on Feb. 7, 1991. He was drafted 33rd overall by the Colorado Avalanche in the 2nd round of the 2009 entry draft. He has signed 5 contracts worth a total value of $95,200,000. Over a career that spans 15 seasons (with at least 1 NHL GP), he has a total 744 Pts in 1042 GP, and 65 playoffs Pts in 75 GP, also currently he has 42 points (17G,25A) in 51 Games Played. He will be a UFA at the end of the 2026-27 season when he is 36 years old.(Summary on Capfriendly)

Ryan O'Reilly seems like an interesting piece since the trade market for renters is so incredibly weak, it might be in Nashvilles best interest in trading him especially considering the market seems to be in favour of the selling team atm. considering his cap hit teams like New York Rangers, Colorado, and Boston should be interested to say the least. TBH considering Monahan just got a 1st and a 3rd and the only other centre you seem to be competing with in the market is Scott Laughton, makes me think they can get a sizeable haul.

I know the Preds are still in a playoff hunt but imo it would be beneficial to their long term plan to get as many picks as possible and get younger especially if they trade Saros, Seems like the Preds can definitely take advantage of the situation.

Although I know the optics of trading a player you signed a year ago may be bad but Ryan O'Reilly doesn't have a NMC or NTC so if he really cared about that he should have taken less money and made sure that would be included in his contract but he knew the risk and he is getting paid quite well for that risk. So, If I was Barry Trotz id definitely look into trading him.

Anyways I guess the question is what do you believe he could return in this current market?

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Just had this same thread 3-4 days ago and Soundgarden pretty much covered it above. Trotz brought him in as a culture guy and to reshape the leadership group and is doubtful to trade him outside of a completely stupid offer.
I kind of get the sense that someone will be willing to overpay for him this deadline.

Reactions: Coffees

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Just had this same thread 3-4 days ago and Soundgarden pretty much covered it above. Trotz brought him in as a culture guy and to reshape the leadership group and is doubtful to trade him outside of a completely stupid offer.
I hear the “culture change” argument a lot and was wondering how he has changed the culture so far? For a team that is a couple years in on a team that needs a true rebuild I think they signed oreilly to keep us competitive. I think trotz wanted to rebuild by what he did and what he was talking about when he took over. He talked a lot about getting out of the mushy middle and taking steps back before we can go forward then something happened where he reversed that thinking and signed 3 vets over the age of 30 to multi year contracts. If you want my opinion trotz wanted to rebuild but the owners stepped in for multiple reasons. 1. Was if the team was to rebuild they would have to go down on their ticket prices which is in the top 10 most right now. Which really it shouldn’t be but that’s another subject. 2. I think our fan base is a shaky fan base and the owners would worry they don’t get the same support as a rebuilding team as they would as constant team that fights for the playoff year in and out with no chance to ever win the cup. Sell your team on hope. I’ve listened to fans on here and on other sites talk about not supporting a rebuilding team so the idea isn’t far fetched. Then they sold us on a youth movement and we have yet to see that. Literally 2 players under the age of 24 on this team. Where’s the youth movement. I don’t know why orielly was signed, yes he is showing out and making us relevant but let’s be honest this team doesn’t have the forward depth to be relevant. Anyway I’m ramble. I get why our fan base doesn’t want to rebuild but if don’t we will always be in the mushy middle. And we’re different for most teams that start a rebuild we haven’t sold off our future to compete for a cup like most teams that compete for a cup. We already have a pretty nice prospect pool but we need that elite player that only normal comes with a top 5 pick not a pick in the mid to late teens which where we usually are

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was surprised he doesn't have a NTC (according to capfriendly) when Trotz signed him. I can see him being a fit in Boston. There is no replacing Bergeron, but ROR is the closest player that I can think of that would. Boston is having another good year, they don't have draft capital though. But if ROR would waive and Trotz would be willing to deal him. This would make sense to me. ROR 2 way player that plays the right way, former Conn Smythe winner to Boston with a modest cap hit makes a lot of sense to me if Boston has the assets to move to Nashville.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I hear the “culture change” argument a lot and was wondering how he has changed the culture so far? For a team that is a couple years in on a team that needs a true rebuild I think they signed oreilly to keep us competitive. I think trotz wanted to rebuild by what he did and what he was talking about when he took over. He talked a lot about getting out of the mushy middle and taking steps back before we can go forward then something happened where he reversed that thinking and signed 3 vets over the age of 30 to multi year contracts. If you want my opinion trotz wanted to rebuild but the owners stepped in for multiple reasons. 1. Was if the team was to rebuild they would have to go down on their ticket prices which is in the top 10 most right now. Which really it shouldn’t be but that’s another subject. 2. I think our fan base is a shaky fan base and the owners would worry they don’t get the same support as a rebuilding team as they would as constant team that fights for the playoff year in and out with no chance to ever win the cup. Sell your team on hope. I’ve listened to fans on here and on other sites talk about not supporting a rebuilding team so the idea isn’t far fetched. Then they sold us on a youth movement and we have yet to see that. Literally 2 players under the age of 24 on this team. Where’s the youth movement. I don’t know why orielly was signed, yes he is showing out and making us relevant but let’s be honest this team doesn’t have the forward depth to be relevant. Anyway I’m ramble. I get why our fan base doesn’t want to rebuild but if don’t we will always be in the mushy middle. And we’re different for most teams that start a rebuild we haven’t sold off our future to compete for a cup like most teams that compete for a cup. We already have a pretty nice prospect pool but we need that elite player that only normal comes with a top 5 pick not a pick in the mid to late teens which where we usually are
You hear the culture change thing because it came right out of Trotz's mouth as to why ROR was brought in. Now you can go the conspiracy theory route if you want, but Trotz has always been big on culture and playing the right way, as well as doing the right things both on and off the ice.

Trotz was also very clear that there would be no tanking style rebuild. We've never done one as a franchise and the owners are clearly a reason why.

ROR could possibly be moved but I think it would take an overpay that makes some of the Saros overpay want pale in comparison so that Trotz and ROR both know the team just didn't have a choice.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
LOL didn't they literally just sign him last summer? They're pushing for a playoff spot and should keep him IMO

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
We like to stick to O’Money.
Maybe I listen to too much missin' curfew, but I'll always be partial to The Fact Daddy or Factor (The O'Reilly Factor)

He's not moving, we just got rid of Duchene and Johansen to give him a big veteran role and he's killing it with Forsberg.

We've already got a boat load of picks and a top ten prospect pool.
This. I dunno why Nashville would wanna move him or Schenn, or why either of them would want a trade. Both just signed. It's a great city, especially for the kind of good ol' boy Canadians

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
He's been everything Nashville fans could hope for. We haven't had a veteran C come in like this in a long time...maybe early Fisher days or Arnott. I can't see any world where we trade him this season.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
ROR should change his name to Rental Ryan. He's a whore of the highest order.

Hes literally been traded once at the deadline....

Maybe I listen to too much missin' curfew, but I'll always be partial to The Fact Daddy or Factor (The O'Reilly Factor)

This. I dunno why Nashville would wanna move him or Schenn, or why either of them would want a trade. Both just signed. It's a great city, especially for the kind of good ol' boy Canadians

Wikipedia has his nickname as the Factor FWIW.

Reactions: JKG33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad