Value of: Ryan Getzlaf

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
I have not personally heard of Getzlaf wanting to be traded to a playoff contender but what would Anaheim need to trade their captain for a chance to win another Stanley cup or if he would even want to be traded.

Pittsburgh has been known to grab these type of veterans to help their chances of making a deep playoff run and Getzlaf seems to fit the mold of big, physical, scoring forward that Hextall and Burke want

Would a package of Kapanen, a prospect like Hallander or Legare plus a 2nd round pick work? This is based off being a pure rental with no intent on resigning

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Getzlaf has stated he doesn’t want to be traded and chase another cup. He also said he wants to stay in Anaheim to finish his career. There really is no discussion here unless he goes to Verbeek and has a change of heart. Highly doubt it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pittsburgh needs to prioritize a guy who can score some goals.

Getzlaf would provide a couple things the Pens could use but he has as many goals as Simon with a lot more TOI so I'd pass. We can't use our meagre assets on a player like that.

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
Pittsburgh needs to prioritize a guy who can score some goals.

Getzlaf would provide a couple things the Pens could use but he has as many goals as Simon with a lot more TOI so I'd pass. We can't use our meagre assets on a player like that.
He may only have 3 goals but he has more assists than kappy and heinen have in points… I think he could be a good bruiser on malkins right wing and feed him the puck a lot

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He may only have 3 goals but he has more assists than kappy and heinen have in points… I think he could be a good bruiser on malkins right wing and feed him the puck a lot

Could.

But again, the Pens are already a pass first, second, and third team, and need to prioritize someone who will shoot and can put the puck in the net.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Could.

But again, the Pens are already a pass first, second, and third team, and need to prioritize someone who will shoot and can put the puck in the net.

Habs will likely make Hoffman available. Not great 5 on 5, but he does know how to put the puck in the net.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Habs will likely make Hoffman available. Not great 5 on 5, but he does know how to put the puck in the net.

Enh, we need a significant skill upgrade on Kap/Zucker for Malkin's line at ES. Crosby has both Guentzel and Rust, and Malkin needs someone in that tier for the Pens to be a true contender.

I'm not confident Hoffman would be the answer there.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Its possible he eventually decides he wants to go to a contender , but it’s 100% his choice…. And hasn’t showed signs of wanting that

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its possible he eventually decides he wants to go to a contender , but it’s 100% his choice…. And hasn’t showed signs of wanting that

I think he has his heart set on working for the organization after his playing career. It would only be a few months away from his family but maybe he wants to help the organization get assets and maybe he signs back with Anaheim this summer. Can have a verbal agreement with Verbeek. He’ll also get one last run at a cup.

He did go to Murray about that last season and he has played much better this year so could maybe get a 1st round pick. Think he has one more year in him. Just shouldn’t be playing top line mins anymore.

Hate to see him in another jersey but if it helps the team, so be it.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Getzlaf has made it known in the past that it's becoming rare for a player to stay with one club their entire career and that is something he thinks is special. I don't think he would give that up for a last chance at a Cup.

However, he has also mentioned that if asked, he would do anything to help the Ducks. So, if they got a nice offer that gets them quality assets, would he forego the above to help the team? Certainly, the idea would be to then bring him back (even for a day should he choose to retire) so he retires a Duck.

I think, the organization though would have too much respect to ask him and put him in that position.

Reactions: Leonardo87

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Getzlaf has made it known in the past that it's becoming rare for a player to stay with one club their entire career and that is something he thinks is special. I don't think he would give that up for a last chance at a Cup.

However, he has also mentioned that if asked, he would do anything to help the Ducks. So, if they got a nice offer that gets them quality assets, would he forego the above to help the team? Certainly, the idea would be to then bring him back (even for a day should he choose to retire) so he retires a Duck.

I think, the organization though would have too much respect to ask him and put him in that position.
You would figure that at this point in his career he doesn’t want to move on. I mean he could have done that in the off season but returned to anaheim.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
He doesn’t seem to have any interest in going to a contender and honestly, as much as I love the guy, I’m not sure I’d even want him if I were a contender. He’s really slowed down since coming back from an injury, which is a shame because he started out great. Not sure how much he can really help out a contender at this point though unfortunately

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Shane Doan hasn’t ever been close to Getzlaf’s level as a player.

1. The point of my post was more about a long-term captain who spent a long career with one team and didn't want to get traded in the end - Even for one last chance at a Cup.
  2. I did say "2.0" as in Getzlaf is a more talented version.
  3. Chill out.

Reactions: gilfaizon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad