Value of: Ryan Getzlaf to a contender at TDL or draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Getzlaf isn't being traded, as he isn't going to waive his NMC for any team (apart from maybe LA).

And Anaheim would be very dumb to even entertain the idea of a Getzlaf trade for more than 1 second.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Getzlaf isn’t going anywhere.

If he did accomodate a move the only realistic place I can see him waiving for is SJ who are somewhat of a contender, are reasonably close by and he would still be a 1C there. But that’s not going to happen, he will retire here.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I thought these proposals were supposed to be at least semi realistic. Even if the Ducks somehow lost their collective minds and tried to trade Getz, he'd never waive.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I was going to come in here with a "wtf, I thought there was no chance he would be traded, what happened" post. I guess nothing actually happened. :dunno:

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Amazing player any team would be lucky to have. That said he has a NMC and i would be more surprised if he waived it then i was when i saw Subban for Weber happened in a 1 for 1 deal.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Love to see the Jets land Ryan (cap an issue)......but I suspect he’s happy ending his career in Cali even if it means possibly no further serious cup runs. He’s 33 years old now, not sure how many years he has left....after his contract ends he likely retires. Good leader & character guy

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
This idea rolled around my head the other day. Bob Murray will not try forcing a team he knows can't win a cup, so does that mean Getz would be ok with fizzling out in ANA? I think the Ducks window has shut, and it would be unwise to let another older player become an albatross. Getzlaf's window is closing fast as well, so this would be the time to get something for him, while also allowing him a shot at another cup, solidifying his career. Probably won't happen, but when ya look at it logically, it probably should. Take what ya can get for all the other vets too if anyone nibbles. If they don't retool, then they'll be wasting a good, young D and goaltender and a decent pool of prospect forwards.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Love to see the Jets land Ryan (cap an issue)......but I suspect he’s happy ending his career in Cali even if it means possibly no further serious cup runs. He’s 33 years old now, not sure how many years he has left....after his contract ends he likely retires. Good leader & character guy
Why would he retire at 36 when he's still an elite player?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Can't see him getting moved. He's a Duck.
But, I would ring one in to Murray if I was Bergevin : 1st + 2nd + Suzuki + Hudon + Alzner Vs Getzlaf + 3rd

Only if we're well into a playoff spot or during the summer if we made the playoffs or aren't pickin top 10

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

He hasn't shown any sign of slowing down. I'd say Getzlaf still being a 1C by that time is more likely than him retiring.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
This idea rolled around my head the other day. Bob Murray will not try forcing a team he knows can't win a cup, so does that mean Getz would be ok with fizzling out in ANA? I think the Ducks window has shut, and it would be unwise to let another older player become an albatross. Getzlaf's window is closing fast as well, so this would be the time to get something for him, while also allowing him a shot at another cup, solidifying his career. Probably won't happen, but when ya look at it logically, it probably should. Take what ya can get for all the other vets too if anyone nibbles. If they don't retool, then they'll be wasting a good, young D and goaltender and a decent pool of prospect forwards.
Getz is not an albatross, he has two years left in his contract after this season and so far his play hasn't dropped enough to even think he would start dragging the team down. There's no incentive for us to move him to get rid of the contract, there's no incentive for him to waive his NMC (he has a family and a life in Anaheim, he's won all anyone his age could win, he's solidified his career enough already as one of the top players in his time). Only way he doesn't retire a Duck is if he leaves in FA, but I don't see that happening either. The idea that moving Getz is a good thing for the franchise is laughable.

Reactions: mymerlincat

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Getz is not an albatross, he has two years left in his contract after this season and so far his play hasn't dropped enough to even think he would start dragging the team down. There's no incentive for us to move him to get rid of the contract, there's no incentive for him to waive his NMC (he has a family and a life in Anaheim, he's won all anyone his age could win, he's solidified his career enough already as one of the top players in his time). Only way he doesn't retire a Duck is if he leaves in FA, but I don't see that happening either. The idea that moving Getz is a good thing for the franchise is laughable.
Read more carefully, "let him become...albatross". He's already slow, and getting by on his ridiculous IQ. The incentive is getting something to help "re-tool"(again read carefully). Lastly, thinking a guy would be ok "fizzling out" rather than competing(esp Getz) for a cup is what's really laughable. I'm 99% sure you're entrenched here, so i'm not trying to change your mind, just clarifying my points. Fwiw, Getz is one of my favorite players of all time, right up there with Messier, and it would kill me to see him go. I think I presented a reasonable case for why he, against popular opinion, could be moved.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

There's two years left on the deal, and Getzlaf is still a beast. The odds of that contract becoming an albatross are slim to virtually non existent.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
There's two years left on the deal, and Getzlaf is still a beast. The odds of that contract becoming an albatross are slim to virtually non existent.
It's not just about contract. If you think the Ducks are(or will be) set up to make a cup run in those 2 years, then by all means keep him. I believe when he falls, he will fall like a rock(see Perry/Kesler), and then that contract would indeed become another albatross. Last game, he and Gibby were the only guys who wanted to will the team to a win. I guess it's just a matter of if you feel the team can't shed any of the dead weight to bring in help, it's best for the franchise to do what's best for the franchise(and player) down the road.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It's not just about contract. If you think the Ducks are(or will be) set up to make a cup run in those 2 years, then by all means keep him. I believe when he falls, he will fall like a rock(see Perry/Kesler), and then that contract would indeed become another albatross. Last game, he and Gibby were the only guys who wanted to will the team to a win. I guess it's just a matter of if you feel the team can't shed any of the dead weight to bring in help, it's best for the franchise to do what's best for the franchise(and player) down the road.

A contract only should referred to as an albatross if the player is earning a large salary far too expensive for their impact on the team. I really don't see that happening with Getzlaf in the next two seasons.

A much better term for the scenario you're describing would be "redundant".

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Hes not going anywhere. That being said, the only way the Leafs could do it cap wise would be something around Nylander, a guy who should be playing center, to replace Gerzlaf.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
A contract only should referred to as an albatross if the player is earning a large salary far too expensive for their impact on the team. I really don't see that happening with Getzlaf in the next two seasons.

A much better term for the scenario you're describing would be "redundant".
I never said his contract was an albatross, but in my 2nd post I said it could become one. Listen, the bottom line is if real NHL GM's were throwing around trade ideas like the posters here are(a couple 1sts), then barstool would be an idiot not to listen. I said I think it's not probable, and that's because of what he means to this franchise.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Read more carefully, "let him become...albatross". He's already slow, and getting by on his ridiculous IQ. The incentive is getting something to help "re-tool"(again read carefully). Lastly, thinking a guy would be ok "fizzling out" rather than competing(esp Getz) for a cup is what's really laughable. I'm 99% sure you're entrenched here, so i'm not trying to change your mind, just clarifying my points. Fwiw, Getz is one of my favorite players of all time, right up there with Messier, and it would kill me to see him go. I think I presented a reasonable case for why he, against popular opinion, could be moved.
His contract has two years left after this season, it's not going to become an albatross. If he regresses next year, then we only have to deal with it for one more year anyway so you're idea that his contract could even become an albatross is out there. He's never been a fast player, he slows the game down when he has the puck so his him slowing down even more isn't an issue with his style of play. The future pieces we would get by trading him aren't going to be incredible pieces that can replace him, that's a deal we are going to lose. He his NMC, age and contract are going to limit who can take him so there's not going to be a huge biding war for him that'll raise his price.

Not sure why you're completely ignoring the actual human side to this which is his family and life has been set up nicely in Anaheim; he's won all he can as a player; why would he waive his NMC just to force his family to move somewhere else to win another cup? What's that going to do for his career? People on here are so quick to just dump every older guy for picks, it's ridiculous. Getz is going to retire a Duck.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
His contract has two years left after this season, it's not going to become an albatross. If he regresses next year, then we only have to deal with it for one more year anyway so you're idea that his contract could even become an albatross is out there. He's never been a fast player, he slows the game down when he has the puck so his him slowing down even more isn't an issue with his style of play. The future pieces we would get by trading him aren't going to be incredible pieces that can replace him, that's a deal we are going to lose. He his NMC, age and contract are going to limit who can take him so there's not going to be a huge biding war for him that'll raise his price.

Not sure why you're completely ignoring the actual human side to this which is his family and life has been set up nicely in Anaheim; he's won all he can as a player; why would he waive his NMC just to force his family to move somewhere else to win another cup? What's that going to do for his career? People on here are so quick to just dump every older guy for picks, it's ridiculous. Getz is going to retire a Duck.
You just somehow took everything I had said previously, re-worded it, and then made it seem like a disagreement? The only thing you won't concede however, is that you'd have to be listening if there were legit offers coming in, and you'd be willing to discuss it with him first. If you asked me the likelihood 2 weeks ago I'd have said 0-5%. Now my thinking is more 5-15%, and that's just cuz I know Bob won't invest in a team he knows can't compete in the playoffs.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I sleep a bit and this is what I wake up to. Finns beat diving canadians team.
Then I look further and Getzlaf is being sold for dimes. Daz28 - everytime I see you post I think of the grimes dude from lord of the rings.
How can a 3 year deal for a dude mostly PPG become albatross? You have to explain this too as you are claiming it.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I never said his contract was an albatross, but in my 2nd post I said it could become one. Listen, the bottom line is if real NHL GM's were throwing around trade ideas like the posters here are(a couple 1sts), then barstool would be an idiot not to listen. I said I think it's not probable, and that's because of what he means to this franchise.

2 years left on the deal, still a legit 1C.
The issue is that you're using way too strong of a term. If you said there's a chance he becomes "overpaid" I could agree there's a slight chance of that (but still would have to call that weak reasoning for suggesting a move could happen compared to all the reasons he likely does not go anywhere).

"Albatross" would suggest he may decline past the point of even being an effective contributor within the next two years which is just likely enough to register as realistic barring unforeseen circumstance.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
so many things that have no meaning
So what are you actually saying?

Sell Getzlaf? Complain about the owners? Carlyle? What?

Bob did invest actually - that's why we got Eaves. He played well and then got some shit he couldn't handle while playing.

Still employing Carlyle is a much bigger problem than your kitten claws.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad