RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 5

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
One thing I noticed about Michkov is it looks like a lot of times his linemates are not ready for the passes that get to them.

Eerily similar to Caitlin Clark in the WNBA who led the league in turnovers but a large portion of them were teammates fumbling passes that they weren't ready for. As her teammates got used to her passing abilities, her team did better and her turnovers dropped.

I can see the same thing happen here.

Reactions: MNRube

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I'm not sure if it's possible to quote a post from a locked thread, but wanted to reference this video by @Vinh.

At 1:50 he fully sells a shot on the PP and draws two defenders in, before passing back to a now-open teammate for a better shooting angle from between the circles. It's such a simple play, but to have that level of patience at 19, instead of rushing a shot, is rare IMO.

I really hope he can improve his skating because I don't think the majority of draft classes contain a single player that can think the game as well as he does.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
One thing I noticed about Michkov is it looks like a lot of times his linemates are not ready for the passes that get to them.

Eerily similar to Caitlin Clark in the WNBA who led the league in turnovers but a large portion of them were teammates fumbling passes that they weren't ready for. As her teammates got used to her passing abilities, her team did better and her turnovers dropped.

I can see the same thing happen here.
I agree. Frost likes to hang on the puck. Tippett isn’t smart enough.

I hope they go after Kane or Kuzmenko next summer. They could do for Michkov what Zuccarello did for Kaprizov.

But bottom line, he needs the puck more. And the blueline absolutely needs to be improved - right now it’s a bunch of young guys with no confidence and no poise.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
I'm not sure if it's possible to quote a post from a locked thread, but wanted to reference this video by @Vinh.

At 1:50 he fully sells a shot on the PP and draws two defenders in, before passing back to a now-open teammate for a better shooting angle from between the circles. It's such a simple play, but to have that level of patience at 19, instead of rushing a shot, is rare IMO.

I really hope he can improve his skating because I don't think the majority of draft classes contain a single player that can think the game as well as he does.

that is ONE HELL of a video.

Thats from 7 games at 19yrs old. Wow.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

In Sochi, as before in SKA, Khusnutdinov played on the same team and often on the same line with the rising star of the Philadelphia Flyers, Matvei Michkov. He reacts with bewilderment to the words of several Russian hockey experts, who talk about Michkov's difficult character.

“Do they know him? There is nothing wrong with the fact that he is prickly on the ice. A good player, a good guy. Both in life and on the ice.”

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

I think we truly found our next Giroux.

One of the best players of a decade who is a forgotten man because the team didn't achieve much because he was surrounded by such putrid talent.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Remember when several posters were questioning his playmaking / referred to him mainly as a scorer ? Whoops ; lol
Ha I was one of the few saying he'd be a better playmaker than scorer and saying a 25-40 stat line was more likely for this season than a 30+ goal season

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
I think we truly found our next Giroux.

One of the best players of a decade who is a forgotten man because the team didn't achieve much because he was surrounded by such putrid talent.
If he turns out like Giroux, it will be a disappointment. He has the potential to be more, much more.

Giroux after 2010-2012, was not a good playoff performer. His style was not compatible for playoff hockey. Michkov's game is tailor made for playoff hockey. And he should be a much better scorer.

Last edited:
Reactions: antman12

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Ha I was one of the few saying he'd be a better playmaker than scorer and saying a 25-40 stat line was more likely for this season than a 30+ goal season
Same ; I’ve been beating the playmaking drum for months . Several false notions about his game and makeup have been squashed ..kid is just scratching the surface

Several posters? Everyone thinks this kid is going to be a star except for Team Reinbacher
That’s a very large contingent of fandom ; arguably the largest presence on this site ( Montreal fans ; some of course not all ) .

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Honestly moving this thread to a new part just removes everyone from laughing at all the people saying he would bust and I think that's just not right. They should be expecting shame.

• Haha
Reactions: Rebels57

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Same ; I’ve been beating the playmaking drum for months . Several false notions about his game and makeup have been squashed ..kid is just scratching the surface

That’s a very large contingent of fandom ; arguably the largest presence on this site ( Montreal fans ; some of course not all ) .
Lmao come on now. If you were to take a poll of Montreal fans I'm pretty sure 80%+ would take Michkov over Reinbacher, and that's only gone up since the draft.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
2nd best Flyer forward already behind Konecny.

Can't wait for the 5v5 PDO to normalize and the team around him to get it's shit together.

Vinh

Mar 19, 2010
Montreal
virtualhockeyscout.substack.com

Yep, he manipulates defenders really well for such a young player. Could easily have a few more assists from his passes to Konecny in the bumper alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad