RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Agreed, but Bedard is undoubtedly in another tier
Based on what exactly ? His rookie season was decent but nothing to write songs about. Absolutely atrocious defensively and numbers are not even close to McDavid/Crosby/Ovechkin rookie years. He’s not on another level and never been, they were toe to toe during their junior years while Russia was in competitions.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
How many times out of 10 should a player with an above average shot score with this much net in the clip I just posted?

Agreed, but Bedard is undoubtedly in another tier
Definitely not

Michkov compared favorably to Bedard at every age group, including now. They're the same tier

is he better than Bedard ?
Even

Reactions: The Wizard and ViD

Dr Jablonski PhD

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Based on what exactly ? His rookie season was decent but nothing to write songs about. Absolutely atrocious defensively and numbers are not even close to McDavid/Crosby/Ovechkin rookie years. He’s not on another level and never been, they were toe to toe during their junior years while Russia was in competitions.
Definitely not

Michkov compared favorably to Bedard at every age group, including now. They're the same tier
IQ: Michkov slight winner
Playmaking: Michkov slight winner
Skating: Bedard clear winner
Shooting: Bedard enormous winner
Individual efforts with puck: Bedard clear winner

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
IQ: Michkov slight winner
Playmaking: Michkov slight winner
Skating: Bedard clear winner
Shooting: Bedard enormous winner
Individual efforts with puck: Bedard clear winner
So, even by your assessment, it’s 3-2 Bedard which doesn’t really sound like he’s on another level, more like “same tier or slightly better”

Dr Jablonski PhD

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
So, even by your assessment, it’s 3-2 Bedard which doesn’t really sound like he’s on another level, more like “same tier or slightly better”
Bedard is a clear to enormous winner in 3 categories and Michkov is just a slight winner in 2

If I rated all of those categories 1-10, Bedard's average rating would be significantly higher

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Looking forward to seeing this guy in some real games soon and all the this and that to be replaced by more concrete stuff. I get the feeling a lot of teams are going to regret passing him up. Montreal in particular as I think he would be have been enthusiastic to play there.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
How many times out of 10 should a player with an above average shot score with this much net in the clip I just posted?

He scored tons of goals in such situations before. Players can be a little bit nervous, especially when playing first time in front of their public in a new league. When the regular time comes he'll do it better. And he still scored his first goal for actual Flyers vs NHL competition, the next one will go easier.

Reactions: Dr Jablonski PhD

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
Bedard is a clear to enormous winner in 3 categories and Michkov is just a slight winner in 2

If I rated all of those categories 1-10, Bedard's average rating would be significantly higher
Michkov's IQ is clearly better. So you can adjust the "slightly". Bedard is a clear winner in skill categories, but no he doesn't see the ice the same. I also have no idea what "individual efforts with puck" means. Straight hands? In that case yeah Bedard wins, but not by a land slide. If it is puck control and ability to play through contact Michkov wins by landslide. Overall I agree that Bedard is likely better currently, but I disagree with your assessment. Definitely comparable and the difference in their playstyles is fascinating.

If matvei played center I would call his style of play similar to Crosby. I currently would say Bedard plays more like McDavid/Ovechkin.

Reactions: SaSaShi and ViD

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It can be fun to discuss player vs player and make hot-takes when the players play in different leagues. But when they gonna start the season in the same league in a week... I personally think it's better to wait a bit and see what they look like playing against the same competition...

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Michkov's IQ is clearly better. So you can adjust the "slightly". Bedard is a clear winner in skill categories, but no he doesn't see the ice the same. I also have no idea what "individual efforts with puck" means. Straight hands? In that case yeah Bedard wins, but not by a land slide. If it is puck control and ability to play through contact Michkov wins by landslide. Overall I agree that Bedard is likely better currently, but I disagree with your assessment. Definitely comparable and the difference in their playstyles is fascinating.

If matvei played center I would call his style of play similar to Crosby. I currently would say Bedard plays more like McDavid/Ovechkin
Idk, Bedard's IQ is pretty special too
Yes but it's not on the same level as Michkov and will never be. Same with passing, I am blown away by Michkov's passing and is currently already the best in philly, which to be frank, is not saying much, but it is special.

I know it's preseason, but it is very clear those are Michkov's strengths.

Bedard will always jump out more in live viewings, the skating, the violent shooting, the dangles and could very well be the overall better player. But they are not far apart as a talent. There is a reason ehy scouts dubbed them 1A-1B.

It's kucherov vs mackinnon part 2.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad