RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I get all that. I think he's awesome and would've been in the Bedard conversation if things were different.

But everytime he got a point it was considered historic .ppg territory. I'm not seeing that.

Having said that.. .after the World Jr's I was highly critical of all the posters coming on and saying Bedard would get 100 points next season. I said 50. I think he'd probably have a similar clip like Michkov in the KHL if he played there too. My fav this draft is Sale and he wouldn't sniff the KHL this season.

Still.. there is a lot of cherrypicking from a small sample size (his first few sochi games) to declare him generational and an on ice genius.

11 points in 30 KHL games. .333 ppg

Breakdown:

5 in 13 games last season
6 in 17 games this season (on 2 teams after the elite team wouldn't give him minutes)

Current Sochi team is generationally bad though. It's so bad you can't even get that pretty typical bonus of being a scorer on a bad team. There can't be scorers on Sochi, so bad they are...

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
We all know who is going number one, and I can see the habs selecting either Leo or Fantilli at the 2 and 3 spot but if we are picking 4 and he's still there I just can't see us passing on him, Russian factor be damned.
nah, The Habs seem like a team that will express solidarity with Ukraine at the draft. And there will be a lot of such teams. Buton has Sale over Michkov, if i'm not mistaken. I can see them drafting Sale when picking fourth and being pretty smug about it.
Why did he skip the last game?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bobby Digital

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
nah, The Habs seem like a team that will express solidarity with Ukraine at the draft. And there will be a lot of such teams. Buton has Sale over Michkov, if i'm not mistaken. I can see them drafting Sale when picking fourth and being pretty smug about it.
I dont think Montreal has always been politically correct with their first round picks 😅

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Why did he skip the last game?
1. Didn't they draft a Swede (I think) that said he didn't even want to be drafted recently?

2. Sale is dropping like a stone (to my great dismay).. I don't think he's in the 'first player much worse than Michkov to be taken ahead of him' conversation.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He's already teasing us in 39 in teal. Hopefully by the time he comes from Russia we will have traded Couture so he doesn't have to switch numbers

Reactions: ViD

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't think the Habs will draft Michkov if they have the chance. Remember that there was a report last year before the draft stating that the Habs and Flyers were not going to draft any Russians, and the Habs did not. And later when Hughes was asked about it, he responded in a typical lawyerly fashion: "We interviewed Russians."

We will see this summer if this report truly has legs. I for one, am prepared, and expecting quite honestly, that they will skip Michkov if given the chance to pick him.

I hope that another team picks him before the Habs just to avoid the circus that will happen by picking a different player.
Well it wouldn't be the first draft where the Habs took a lesser player with a first rounder eh.

Michov is the second best prospect in this draft by quite a bit too.

Reactions: Realgud

OysterForever

Feb 18, 2021
Not in Philly
Sorry I haven't been following MM's situation, so can someone summarize. Is there any problems present regarding his status now in KHL, can he join NHL team problem free?

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Aww shit, he gotta do like Malkin did in 2005. If I recall correctly, he was hiding his KHL team in Helsinki for couple of days before quietly flying to the USA. He never let his KHL team to find out his plans.
I suspect he will be drafted by a team with enough money (big market team) to buy the contract out.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He wont go past the Canucks where the Canucks are drafting. They have said their rebuild, retool plan is going to be 2-3 years so its perfect timeline for MM.

They have also strengthened their Russian contingency lately: Kuzmenko, Mikhayev, Podkolzin, Gonchar.

I'm almost certain MM is who the Canucks are targeting if they dont get Bedard.

I wouldnt even be surprised if they trade up a couple of spots to get MM in the 4th, 5th spot if he is available.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
He wont go past the Canucks where the Canucks are drafting. They have said their rebuild, retool plan is going to be 2-3 years so its perfect timeline for MM.

They have also strengthened their Russian contingency lately: Kuzmenko, Mikhayev, Podkolzin, Gonchar.

I'm almost certain MM is who the Canucks are targeting if they dont get Bedard.

I wouldnt even be surprised if they trade up a couple of spots to get MM in the 4th, 5th spot if he is available.
As a Canucks fan my worry is Aquilini stepping in and saying no. Track record indicates that he isn’t very patient

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad