RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Weaknesses?

1. Lack of size and strength. This is my only major worry about him. But he'll have a few years to fill out before reaching the NHL. Regardless, I dont envision him ever getting above 175 lbs maybe,

2. He tends to cause turnovers by forcing plays, or trying to do too much. But this is typical for young guys at higher levels. Quite fixable in his case.
But it's kind of a catch-22 in Sochi. What's worked for him against lower competition isn't always working at KHL level; yet he likely still feels the need to force plays because Sochi is so inept. He has literally no help. Next year on SKA should be better.

3. His defense stinks. But this is also teachable. At the very least he looks better away from the puck recently. He's engaging physically and even forechecking.
Yet, all those 3 weaknesses can be applied to Connor Bedard, who also plays a tougher position than Michkov. Nobody know how much Michkov weights in Russia right now. He's light but he's not a weak player. He got crushed by Emelin, everybody gets crushed by Emelin. But the kid is relentless and plays with lots of grit. Bedard creates a lot of turnovers as well. At the WJC, we could see how he would always try to rush and against the Czechs in prelims, he got stopped few times. It's normal because talented players like these two thrive when the puck is on their stick and they do everything themselves.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Why are people so sensitive with Michkov here?

People bring up real points& concerns related his game and you come back with posts like these?

I'm not seeing any real points. Just a lot of concern trolling.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I don't think Michkov is gonna go at 2 and right now how are our odds at getting the 2nd pick? I'm trying to not get too worked up about the 1st or 2nd pick, think 3 or 4 is more likely for us and think he will be available at one of those spots.
I view it completely differently, the Habs have a much better chance of getting the 2nd pick via a lottery win than getting the 3rd or 4th pick via outsucking several of CHI/ANA/CBJ/ARZ/SJ (and outsucking them is what it would take). Those teams are going to full tank in the final 20-25 games once trades start happening and the gaps between those teams and MTL are already significant. We will either pick 1st-2nd or 6th-7th-8th.

If I had to peg it, Michkov will very likely find himself in California or Arizona come 2026.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm not seeing any real points. Just a lot of concern trolling.

Okay there.

Great talking with you

Because he was the first "generational" Russian prospect in forever. Finding out he objectively might not be as good as they thought is a big blow. Especially when Russia is undeniably experiencing a drop-off in overall talent over the last 10 years or so.

I don’t think everyone know what generation means.

How many previous generational prospects have had this many question marks around their game?
His generational tag is build around if’s and but’s.
In real world that’s not a generational prospect

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It a tough situation for a GM picking between 2nd overall to whenever Michkov goes in the first round. As many reporters have stated, a GM will require owner approval to draft Michkov because of all the non-hockey complications picking him entails. However, the GMs name (and not the owner) will be the one attached to the success or failure of picking/passing on Michkov. Plus the GM that selects him won't likely be employed in the role by the time the kid debuts for his NHL team.

Reactions: Czechboy

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
OMG this is is gonna be a home run pick for anyone that drafts him outside the top 5.

Canucks are hovering in that spot and have curiously added to their Russian contingency with the team lately.

Podkolzin, Kuzmenko, Mikhayev and now hiring Gonchar.

I dont think they will be afraid to draft Michov at all

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
As a Hawks fan I would not mind drafting him and waiting 3 years. He would have to if he came over or not but the rub is no control on development.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Okay there.

Great talking with you

I don’t think everyone know what generation means.

How many previous generational prospects have had this many question marks around their game?
His generational tag is build around if’s and but’s.
In real world that’s not a generational prospect

Are these legitimate question marks that can hold Michkov back? Or are people being finicky about minor things?
Like someone already said, Bedard was likewise causing turnovers at the WJC. The WJC is a significantly lower level of hockey than the KHL and Bedard wasn't on an island all by himself like Michkov.
But this is typical for young players. I'm not concerned here.

I'd say Bedard has better physical tools, but Michkov is actually the smarter player. When both have faced the same competition very little has separated them.

For NHL projection the only cause for concern is size IMO - which is a big red flag for me. I don't care how fast or physical you are, 5-10 148 can hinder your game. Bedard is a bit undersized yet he has almost 40 pounds on Michkov.
Id certainly take Bedard over Michkov. But that's predicated on position and size, not necessarily talent level.

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
Got to watch the game today in full. Michkov passed the puck as well as he has all year, and looked really elusive and dangerous along the boards. Had some flat footed moments in the defensive zone, but that's the only real nitpicking I could do today. Could have picked up a point or two with more luck.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Got to watch the game today in full. Michkov passed the puck as well as he has all year, and looked really elusive and dangerous along the boards. Had some flat footed moments in the defensive zone, but that's the only real nitpicking I could do today. Could have picked up a point or two with more luck.

Earned a penalty shot and failed the attempt miserably, couldn't even shoot the puck. It looks like he kinda has monkey on his back. He creates opportunities for himself and teammates every game but no points.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1 assist in last 6 games?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
That is correct. This is why it is important to watch the games as well. There have been games he has scored points in that weren't as good as yesterday's performance. That is just how it works sometimes
I get all that. I think he's awesome and would've been in the Bedard conversation if things were different.

But everytime he got a point it was considered historic .ppg territory. I'm not seeing that.

Having said that.. .after the World Jr's I was highly critical of all the posters coming on and saying Bedard would get 100 points next season. I said 50. I think he'd probably have a similar clip like Michkov in the KHL if he played there too. My fav this draft is Sale and he wouldn't sniff the KHL this season.

Still.. there is a lot of cherrypicking from a small sample size (his first few sochi games) to declare him generational and an on ice genius.

11 points in 30 KHL games. .333 ppg

Breakdown:

5 in 13 games last season
6 in 17 games this season (on 2 teams after the elite team wouldn't give him minutes)

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
I get all that. I think he's awesome and would've been in the Bedard conversation if things were different.

But everytime he got a point it was considered historic .ppg territory. I'm not seeing that.

Having said that.. .after the World Jr's I was highly critical of all the posters coming on and saying Bedard would get 100 points next season. I said 50. I think he'd probably have a similar clip like Michkov in the KHL if he played there too. My fav this draft is Sale and he wouldn't sniff the KHL this season.

Still.. there is a lot of cherrypicking from a small sample size (his first few sochi games) to declare him generational and an on ice genius.

11 points in 30 KHL games. .333 ppg

Breakdown:

5 in 13 games last season
6 in 17 games this season (on 2 teams after the elite team wouldn't give him minutes)
These arguments are simply semantics. I don't care how he is classified, I just watch him play and compare him to others in his draft class and in past ones. Small data samples are all we have at this point. If you look at other draft year players in the KHL, most of them played as little or less. Kaprizov played 31 games. Kucherov played 9, Panarin played 20...

People like comparisons. That's all. Data and stats are fun and we don't need to discount them, nor do we need to make that the only basis of an argument. It's just one way to compare players.

Eye test wise, Michkov is passing in my opinion. He looks comfortable, is creating with the puck on his stick, and looks to be thinking the game very quickly. Let's not forget he fights a very uphill battle with Sochi, and he still looks quite strong. He has done nothing to deter me from calling him the 2nd best player in the draft. Generational or not, I don't care. Words are just words.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
I don't think the Habs will draft Michkov if they have the chance. Remember that there was a report last year before the draft stating that the Habs and Flyers were not going to draft any Russians, and the Habs did not. And later when Hughes was asked about it, he responded in a typical lawyerly fashion: "We interviewed Russians."

We will see this summer if this report truly has legs. I for one, am prepared, and expecting quite honestly, that they will skip Michkov if given the chance to pick him.

I hope that another team picks him before the Habs just to avoid the circus that will happen by picking a different player.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't think the Habs will draft Michkov if they have the chance. Remember that there was a report last year before the draft stating that the Habs and Flyers were not going to draft any Russians, and the Habs did not. And later when Hughes was asked about it, he responded in a typical lawyerly fashion: "We interviewed Russians."

We will see this summer if this report truly has legs. I for one, am prepared, and expecting quite honestly, that they will skip Michkov if given the chance to pick him.

I hope that another team picks him before the Habs just to avoid the circus that will happen by picking a different player.
We all know who is going number one, and I can see the habs selecting either Leo or Fantilli at the 2 and 3 spot but if we are picking 4 and he's still there I just can't see us passing on him, Russian factor be damned.

Reactions: ponder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad