RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Re-check the math. He’ll be 21 for the first few months of the ‘26-‘27 season.
I never really did the math in the first place to be completely honest. I was more of just thinking about Kaprizov and when he finally came over. he was what 22-23 when he came over? either way alot of years to not have him for.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I never really did the math in the first place to be completely honest. I was more of just thinking about Kaprizov and when he finally came over. he was what 22-23 when he came over? either way alot of years to not have him for.
Kaprizov should've been here at 21 years old too. Communication flub lead to him re-signing in Russia when he was 21. Or he just wanted to.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
so at a min whoever takes him wont get him for atleast 3 years. kind sucks. I mean who knows if he will be NHL ready in 3 years anyways
He’s going to need time. I think he’s at lest 2 years away from being NHL ready. He must get stronger and become more accustomed to a professional league pace of play. That’s going to take time. Who cares if you have to wait 3 at that point with his upside anyways? He could be a phenom if he works on his weaknesses.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
He’s going to need time. I think he’s at lest 2 years away from being NHL ready. He must get stronger and become more accustomed to a professional league pace of play. That’s going to take time. Who cares if you have to wait 3 at that point with his upside anyways? He could be a phenom if he works on his weaknesses.
Being dead serious.. what is his weakness?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He's the kind of player that coaches won't be fond of, even if he's producing

thatsbait.gif

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
11 points in 29 KHL games
1 point in his last 5 games for Sochi, looks to be getting around 16 a night in those last 5 games which is a good number of minutes!

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Here‘s what one NHL scout said about Michkov after being asked where will he go on draft day.

“Well, isn’t that the question,” a scout replied. “Short answer is we don’t know. What I do think I know is some team is likely going to be gifted an extraordinary prospect at No. 4 or No. 5 or some number beyond that. To have a player that good, someone who should probably be talked about in the same breath as Bedard, go at No. 4 or 5 or some pick after that, well, from just from a really superficial hockey draft perspective, it would be a travesty. But it could happen. Whenever he’s taken, someone is going to fall into something quite special.”

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Here‘s what one NHL scout said about Michkov after being asked where will he go on draft day.

“Well, isn’t that the question,” a scout replied. “Short answer is we don’t know. What I do think I know is some team is likely going to be gifted an extraordinary prospect at No. 4 or No. 5 or some number beyond that. To have a player that good, someone who should probably be talked about in the same breath as Bedard, go at No. 4 or 5 or some pick after that, well, from just from a really superficial hockey draft perspective, it would be a travesty. But it could happen. Whenever he’s taken, someone is going to fall into something quite special.”
It's settled then, he's going to Montreal, perfect place for him too, he will be nice and marinated by the time we need him and are ready to compete.

Reactions: Jabba11

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
It's settled then, he's going to Montreal, perfect place for him too, he will be nice and marinated by the time we need him and are ready to compete.
At 3 or 4 sure , at 2? We will see what Montreal does, I don't believe they will do it . I think they should but I don't see it in this market

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
At 3 or 4 sure , at 2? We will see what Montreal does, I don't believe they will do it . I think they should but I don't see it in this market
I don't think Michkov is gonna go at 2 and right now how are our odds at getting the 2nd pick? I'm trying to not get too worked up about the 1st or 2nd pick, think 3 or 4 is more likely for us and think he will be available at one of those spots.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I don't think Michkov is gonna go at 2 and right now how are our odds at getting the 2nd pick? I'm trying to not get too worked up about the 1st or 2nd pick, think 3 or 4 is more likely for us and think he will be available at one of those spots.
If we get 3-4-5 and hes still on the board i might cry

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If we get 3-4-5 and hes still on the board i might cry
If we are picking at any of those spots and he's there we just walk up to the podium with a big shit eating grin and scoop him up.

There's just one catch.......................the waiting.

But we can afford to do it.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
If we are picking at any of those spots and he's there we just walk up to the podium with a big shit eating grin and scoop him up.

I think MTL is in the perfect position to take him.

They're the only tam that has potentially 2 top10 picks this year. Teams in front of them need to draft players that will be able to play sooner than later in order to promote them and get back some divident. Habs ca afford to wait for him as they can show thir other 1st round pick until he comes here

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Being dead serious.. what is his weakness?

Weaknesses?

1. Lack of size and strength. This is my only major worry about him. But he'll have a few years to fill out before reaching the NHL. Regardless, I dont envision him ever getting above 175 lbs maybe,

2. He tends to cause turnovers by forcing plays, or trying to do too much. But this is typical for young guys at higher levels. Quite fixable in his case.
But it's kind of a catch-22 in Sochi. What's worked for him against lower competition isn't always working at KHL level; yet he likely still feels the need to force plays because Sochi is so inept. He has literally no help. Next year on SKA should be better.

3. His defense stinks. But this is also teachable. At the very least he looks better away from the puck recently. He's engaging physically and even forechecking.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

We can. I wouldn't be down with waiting 5 years for him but 3 is very doable for us. It meets our hoped for timeline.

Last edited:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
A team at the start of their rebuild should be fine taking him at #2. The three-year wait won't mean much to them anyway as they can continue building out their prospect pool.
That's not true...

Anaheim needs to resign Zegras and Drysdale in the enar future. Those guy will want to start winning at some point. Drafting a guy who's not going to come over for another 2 years minimum sends them a terrible message. They may not be incline to sign a LT 8 year deal if they know they'll suck for another 2-3 years because GM decided to draft a guy under contract in the KHL.

Same goes for the Hawks. You know Toews and Kane are gone, you still need to ice some players to make sure Fans buy your tickets. You need to put someone on the ice and that's not going to be their 2022 draftee as he's bene injured all year.

The coyotes will also need to add some players to their roster if they want to bring fans in their arena and show they deserve an NHL rink in Tempe.

Fact is, the NHL is a business. It'll be really hard for ANY Gm to go see their owner and try to justify taking a Russian player that's not goign to cross over for at least another 2 years when you could've drafted someone that MAYBE won,t b as good, but that you ca at least showcase and sell tickets around.

Especially when you are drafting in the top5, where this player should technically start in the NHL right away.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It'll be really hard for ANY Gm to go see their owner and try to justify taking a Russian player that's not goign to cross over for at least another 2 years when you could've drafted someone that MAYBE won,t b as good, but that you ca at least showcase and sell tickets around.

Emphasis on maybe. Michkov isn't looking close to NHL ready right now so the KHL contract is looking like less of an issue compared to just the normal long wait for a skilled prospect to pay off. Carlsson and Fantilli look much more ready right now and might stay ahead of Michkov permanently.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Emphasis on maybe. Michkov isn't looking close to NHL ready right now so the KHL contract is looking like less of an issue compared to just the normal long wait for a skilled prospect to pay off. Carlsson and Fantilli look much more ready right now and might stay ahead of Michkov permanently.

They might. Or they might not. It might rain tomorrow. Or it might not. All kinds of possibilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad