RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
How can the conversation be anything else but positive he has 2 goals 2 assists in 5 games playing on the flyers. Looks pretty good out there if you caught a game or two of his.

Do the detractors want him to have 11 points in 5 games while having early selkie votes? Why is the conversation here not positive? Am I missing something? Seems like it should be a circle jerk in here , pretty decent start for him.

Is everybody on this site just biased?

Assuming that is a rhetorical question.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Michkov might be the best Russian prospect in a generation, but IMO he was never a true generational prospect for the same reason Bedard wasn't, despite what their counting stats might have shown.

Both guys lacked the necessary elite athletic/physical abilities needed to create significant time and space.

That said, he's going to be a fantastic player for a long time. I suspect he's gonna make SJ, Montreal, and Arizona regret passing on him.
We already regret it.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Michkov might be the best Russian prospect in a generation, but IMO he was never a true generational prospect for the same reason Bedard wasn't, despite what their counting stats might have shown.

Both guys lacked the necessary elite athletic/physical abilities needed to create significant time and space.

That said, he's going to be a fantastic player for a long time. I suspect he's gonna make SJ, Montreal, and Arizona regret passing on him.
Arizona isn't going to regret not wasting a draft pick on a kid that wouldnt answer their phone calls.

Reactions: Tw1ster

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How can the conversation be anything else but positive he has 2 goals 2 assists in 5 games playing on the flyers. Looks pretty good out there if you caught a game or two of his.

Do the detractors want him to have 11 points in 5 games while having early selkie votes? Why is the conversation here not positive? Am I missing something? Seems like it should be a circle jerk in here , pretty decent start for him.

Is everybody on this site just biased?

It should be positive, and it mostly is. But the Michkov stalker fans have created a lot of backlash. I'm talking about the people who go around and denigrate other prospects for not being Michkov. Or the people who talk about how genius he is for throwing a puck on net to try and get a rebound. That makes it harder to have a conversation when he actually does do something special.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What could they have gotten for Michkov at 2024 draft, I wonder.

In general I think teams in that situation should just take the best player and trade him later. Maybe picks 2-5 from the 2024 draft would have been on the table for Michkov if the news had come out that he would come over after a trade.

But then again when I look at those clubs in 2024, largely the same ones who passed on Michkov the first time, I could see a lot of them having reasons (good and bad reasons) to prefer other picks. I didn't like Chicago taking Levshunov, but they seem to think drafting more small forwards would be a mistake. The Ducks, as we have talked about, go to the beat of their own drum, and haven't taken many players out of Russia. In general, don't expect what you think or what most public lists think to be what Ducks scouts think.

The Jackets might have preferred Michkov to Lindstrom, there was uncertainty for both. But one is huge and the other very short, and we know how scouts think. We've had so much drama already about Montreal passing on Michkov, do you think they would have traded their pick for him? Demidov is the faster more robust more complete player, and I could see some choosing him anyways.

Basically Arizona probably would have wasted their time if they drafted Michkov and then traded him a year later.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad