RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't understand this idea that what works for all sports in Europe doesn't work for hockey. If Philadelphia gives several million dollars to the SKA for Michkov, the SKA cashes in, that's it.

I'm not going to look for a false geopolitical or economic theory. Several million dollars for a European hockey club is a big financial transaction.

No one in Russia would blame SKA for selling Michkov. Everyone knows in Russia that Michkov's destiny is to play in the NHL.

It won't happen because NHL will never allow it. The whole thing is about getting players from other leagues for peanuts. Why will they let the Flyers break such a cool partnership?

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
I don't understand this idea that what works for all sports in Europe doesn't work for hockey. If Philadelphia gives several million dollars to the SKA for Michkov, the SKA cashes in, that's it.

I'm not going to look for a false geopolitical or economic theory. Several million dollars for a European hockey club is a big financial transaction.

No one in Russia would blame SKA for selling Michkov. Everyone knows in Russia that Michkov's destiny is to play in the NHL.

Say you pay 5M for Michkov, then every european leagues will take notice and ask for more next time they negociate a transfer agreement. I think Sweden is like 350-400k for a player right now

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
If the NHL is pulling players out of Russia especially youngsters then there should be a fee or Money Transfer since developing players cost big money! NAmerican football pays nothing to Colleges and Universities for players when they "Graduate"! And that's what the NHL kind of wants...no Fees...its really greedy and not unlike poaching! I know in the past NHL teams paid money to the Junior operators for players that became NHLers...so much for every number of games and so forth! I imagine the same thing is in place today

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Development in NA and Europe isn't comparable though.

Unlike in Europe, we dont have organizations (teams) that individually invest in and develop a kids from youth to adult.

Last edited:

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
It won't happen because NHL will never allow it. The whole thing is about getting players from other leagues for peanuts. Why will they let the Flyers break such a cool partnership?

You don't want to set a precedent that the NHL will pay other leagues to buy players out of contracts and transfer to the NHL. In short order, you'll see all the young talented players from other leagues with long-term contracts that will require buy-outs.

I'm just speculating here on how Russians would operate, but I'd hate to put young, talented player in a position where when they're 17 years old they're being "coerced" into signing 5 year contracts.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Development in NA and Europe isn't comparable though.

Unlike in Europe, we dont have organizations (teams) that individually invest in and develop a kids from youth to adult.

Yup parents pay for everything in NA. Crosby, MacKinnon, Okposo, Parise went to SSM at 14 that place cost a lot of $$$.

At what age did SKA start to work with Michkov?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
SKA had great and pretty young roster that working well previous season. They made a lot of changes and it was a mistake. Most of young players would make a step this season, they had a good working forechecking system, but now the chemistry isnt there.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
SKA have the rights to Michkov, Demidov, and Buchelnikov and none of them are playing for SKA. 3 of the most talented raw skill prospects in the world. Imagine if you gave Gordon Bombay three Adam Banks.
Ska has the best roster in KHL regardless of Michkov, Demidov or Buchelnikov. They have a slow start but it has nothing to do with Buchelnikov LOL

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
We all know that it has nothing to do with Buchelnikov… But the point is, if your team isn't winning (or is tired, as Rotenberg himself always points out), then at least let your top talent play… the ones you've bought from all over the country… You literally have nothing left to lose.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
So what’s about Khusnutdinov? Healthy scratch again. This guy had 41 points last season. What’s about Buchelnikov? Had 28 in 35 games in the VHL last season. He is for sure ready for the KHL. Is playing VHL again this season… and of course, what’s about Demidov? Today 13th forward and no factor in the KHL yet, almost no ice time. Do they all have some red flags?This Kids are for sure with Yurov Russias greatest talents not even close. But while even some 17 year old kids playing big minutes for teams like Torpedo, almost all of russias biggest talents have to go through this Rotenberg shitshow. And I bet if this situation with Demidov continues, a 7th Pick in the 24 draft would be a very good outcome.
I think he is alluding more to the guys personality/ character, and possible work ethic? as being red flags. Nobody is saying Michkov is not talented. But how many talented players never made it, or did not succeed due to issues. Could be more to the story as to why such talent slipped in the draft and why coach refuses to play him.

There has been talk about his character and flaws for sometime now. From what I hear, he is not very liked. Clearly if coach himself liked the kid he would play him. That's just natural. Especially when the talent is not in question. Look at reality for what it is, it's right in front of you.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FlyguyOX

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I think he is alluding more to the guys personality/ character, and possible work ethic? as being red flags. Nobody is saying Michkov is not talented. But how many talented players never made it, or did not succeed due to issues. Could be more to the story as to why such talent slipped in the draft and why coach refuses to play him.

There has been talk about his character and flaws for sometime now. From what I hear, he is not very liked. Clearly if coach himself liked the kid he would play him. That's just natural. Especially when the talent is not in question. Look at reality for what it is, it's right in front of you.
At this point if SKA’s coach liked Michkov, that would be a major red flag as he’s proving himself to be one of the worst coaches in all of professional sports.

ddlennon

May 1, 2018
Helsinki
Why think about this much ?the rat coach is not a hockey professional and would be nowhere near the coaching bench if his daddy picked a diffrent judo club the longer hes there ”coaching”the clown circus the happier zska/dynamo etc owners should be

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Why think about this much ?the rat coach is not a hockey professional and would be nowhere near the coaching bench if his daddy picked a diffrent judo club the longer hes there ”coaching”the clown circus the happier zska/dynamo etc owners should be
The issue might be not with Rotenberg himself, as while he might not be too competent, but his assistants are Sergei Zubov and Yevgeni Koreshkov (Bragin's long time assistant at the U20 NT), so they are the ones who run the show at least in the tactics department and stuff, therefore it very might be that they are the ones who don't see Michkov in their tactical concept.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
The issue might be not with Rotenberg himself, as while he might not be too competent, but his assistants are Sergei Zubov and Yevgeni Koreshkov (Bragin's long time assistant at the U20 NT), so they are the ones who run the show at least in the tactics department and stuff, therefore it very might be that they are the ones who don't see Michkov in their tactical concept.

I don’t buy that. It seems to me that Rotenberg is making the main decisions, especially about how to play and the lineups. If you thinking you are good enough to coach straight away the most ambitious team outside the NHL, you are surely good enough to be the main voice. And having someone inexperienced like Zubov as your co doesn't exactly indicate that you want to hear much contra.

But again, it’s not only about the here and now. You managed to get the country’s biggest talents, for what exactly? Rotenbergs beloved grinders or his “star” Galchenyuk are not going to be the next Panarin or Gusev. The clubs prospect strategy definitely does not match the playing philosophy.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Do you guys think Michkov is better than Galchenyuk right now? I think he might be . Chucky is awful now
considering how guys like jordan weal can light up the KHL I was expecting galchenyuk to at least be above average. it might be the worst free agent signing of the year in any league since it indirectly led to Michkov being loaned again. They basically traded Michkov for Galchenyuk lol which is kinda ironic being a former Hab

also: yes.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

1695050460490.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad