RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Everyone's going to be shocked when this man wins ross's and hart trophies. The only way he doesn't do this is if he loses focus and doesn't give everything. He's right there with Bedard when it comes to talent and ability, different skillsets, same type of potential and impact guy, everyone else is just a tier under them, from this draft (Fantilli and Carlsson are both going to be star players). Before you come in here and say its bs and why didn't he go 2, WATCH THE TAPE, WATCH HIM PLAY.
No one's going to be shocked. Someone's will be angry and look stupid.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Did anyone else feel like he hasn't really been trying to use his shot in the recent games?

It’s a byproduct of him leaning to be a center. Once he becomes more comfortable I recon he’ll incorporate his goalscoring into the mix a bit more.

At the very least, this experiment (at C) proves he’s willing to learn, change, adapt and diversify his game… which runs counter to the pre-draft narrative that he’s a moody and difficult one dimensional scorer.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Did anyone else feel like he hasn't really been trying to use his shot in the recent games?
ya, he was playing a lot more subdued after the first game in terms of looking for his own opportunities, he was all around the net in the O zone though going for dirty pucks and setting things up from below the goal line so its good to know he's got other strengths, but I hope once the reg season starts he's a little more selfish with his shots. Its okay to score Matvei, just don't let the other team do it.

Reactions: FlyguyOX and Unger9

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
ya, he was playing a lot more subdued after the first game in terms of looking for his own opportunities, he was all around the net in the O zone though going for dirty pucks and setting things up from below the goal line so its good to know he's got other strengths, but I hope once the reg season starts he's a little more selfish with his shots. Its okay to score Matvei, just don't let the other team do it.
Oh yeah, he looked fantastic at what he was doing. I just thought it was strange that it almost looked like he was avoiding using his shot unless he was pretty close to the net. Playing as a 200 ft center is almost certainly part of what was going on. Along with coaching/earning the trust of his coaches, and possibly rust and being out of peak form

Last edited:

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
You’ve been here for nearly 15 years and made nearly 13,000 posts and it’s too difficult for you to debate the points within a topic once YOU specifically ask someone to explain their view on that topic?

:help:
More like 15 months. You're still so hyperbolic "15 years" later!

You’ve been here for nearly 15 years and made nearly 13,000 posts and it’s too difficult for you to debate the points within a topic once YOU specifically ask someone to explain their view on that topic?

:help:
I've watched more of Eichel and Fantilli than any other prospect outside of maybe Drouin and Newhook, I really don't need the opinions of others to KNOW Fantilli goes ahead of him in the same draft. I really don't care to debate these two, as snobbish as that admittedly sounds.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
IMO Eichel's IQ and clutchness are prob better than Fantilli. The thing is, Fantilli's physical tools and skating make him so dominant that he has such a high volume of attempts, which more than makes up for the IQ. Imo Fantilli certainly has the potential to be better than Eichel.. but we'll have to wait to see

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Fantilli is not Eichel. A clear tier below IMO
At the same age, Eichel was slightly better than Fantilli in terms of raw skill. But he also possessed a superior hockey IQ and had a little more room to mature his game. Fantilli is a refined man-child who doesn't have a huge "next level" but he will still end up a stud in the NHL. He's ready now and will make a decent impact immediately.

Either way, in 4-5 years (at most), Michkov will be a more impactful and exciting NHL player than Fantilli and anyone else in the 23 draft, outside of maybe Bedard. We know how incredible Bedard will be, and I think Michkov won't be far behind him... they'll both leave the rest in the dust. There's zero doubt that Michkov will be "Jagr-ish" in the fact that we'll soon be hearing, "How did six teams pass on him?!" for decades. The only exception will be the Blackhawks.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
At the same age, Eichel was slightly better than Fantilli in terms of raw skill. But he also possessed a superior hockey IQ and had a little more room to mature his game. Fantilli is a refined man-child who doesn't have a huge "next level" but he will still end up a stud in the NHL. He's ready now and will make a decent impact immediately.

Either way, in 4-5 years (at most), Michkov will be a more impactful and exciting NHL player than Fantilli and anyone else in the 23 draft, outside of maybe Bedard. We know how incredible Bedard will be, and I think Michkov won't be far behind him... they'll both leave the rest in the dust. There's zero doubt that Michkov will be "Jagr-ish" in the fact that we'll soon be hearing, "How did six teams pass on him?!" for decades. The only exception will be the Blackhawks.
And the answer to your rhetorical question will be, "Just like Jagr, Michkov told a bunch of teams he wouldn't play for them, and then targeted the team he did want to play for."

The only teams that you might question are: CBJ, SJ, MTL.

ANA -- they have a bunch of talent that needed a #1C. You could have made the risky pick for the generational winger, for sure. Maybe you question it, but the top was so deep, and maybe Michkov didn't want to play in a market that doesn't care.

CBJ got Fantilli. It'll be hard to look back and say, "they should have gone with the riskier winger" when their entire org needed a top line center. Who cares if Michkov is playing Center now - nobody knew that at the time. And Michkov probably told them he isn't going to play for them.

SJ -- Michkov probably told them he isn't going to play for them. What are they supposed to do, draft him and hope to trade his rights?

MTL -- who knows what Michkov said, but if he DIDN'T say he wouldn't play for them, then this is the big miss. However, we all know that ownership group and market is insane.

ARI -- absolutely Michkov said he wouldn't play for them.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
And the answer to your rhetorical question will be, "Just like Jagr, Michkov told a bunch of teams he wouldn't play for them, and then targeted the team he did want to play for."

The only teams that you might question are: CBJ, SJ, MTL.

ANA -- they have a bunch of talent that needed a #1C. You could have made the risky pick for the generational winger, for sure. Maybe you question it, but the top was so deep, and maybe Michkov didn't want to play in a market that doesn't care.

CBJ got Fantilli. It'll be hard to look back and say, "they should have gone with the riskier winger" when their entire org needed a top line center. Who cares if Michkov is playing Center now - nobody knew that at the time. And Michkov probably told them he isn't going to play for them.

SJ -- Michkov probably told them he isn't going to play for them. What are they supposed to do, draft him and hope to trade his rights?

MTL -- who knows what Michkov said, but if he DIDN'T say he wouldn't play for them, then this is the big miss. However, we all know that ownership group and market is insane.

ARI -- absolutely Michkov said he wouldn't play for them.
You do know that Michkov has been playing center this season? If he hits at center, forget about it. The only team who should have passed on him was Chicago. You never draft for need... you take BPA... which was Michkov after Bedard. If, and there's conflicting reports out there, Michkov absolutely told a team, "No, I will not play for you ever, under any circumstances", then maybe they pass for the right player. If I'm the Yotes, I take him and trade his rights to the Flyers or another team for a haul in a year.

Reactions: Devonator

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I'm totally OK with Will Smith. He reminds me a little of Jumbo and boy does the Shark organization need another Jumbo-reincarnate.

Remember that Michkov is smaller. He could be a Zegras type of center when he gets to the NHL, weak and not good defensively, all-offense. However, I already see a strong backcheck quality with Michkov so that bodes well for his chances of not becoming a liability.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
You do know that Michkov has been playing center this season? If he hits at center, forget about it. The only team who should have passed on him was Chicago. You never draft for need... you take BPA... which was Michkov after Bedard. If, and there's conflicting reports out there, Michkov absolutely told a team, "No, I will not play for you ever, under any circumstances", then maybe they pass for the right player. If I'm the Yotes, I take him and trade his rights to the Flyers or another team for a haul in a year.
Yeah and a hard working, responsible center at that.. though to be fair the teams didn't know this at the draft

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Iiuc Michkov met in secret with Flyers' management prior to the draft. He obviously wanted to be drafted by them. Did he meet with any other teams while in NA?

The teams at 2-4 coveted and needed the highly rated centers available after Bedard.

Maybe the Canadiens, and certainly the Coyotes, had an opportunity to swap positions with the Flyers to grab an additional asset while still getting their guy.

Given the "Russian factor" and his contract status, this draft played out for Michkov as logically as can be expected. "2nd rated guy drops to #7!!!" isn't the story that some are trying to push.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Iiuc Michkov met in secret with Flyers' management prior to the draft. He obviously wanted to be drafted by them. Did he meet with any other teams while in NA?

The teams at 2-4 coveted and needed the highly rated centers available after Bedard.

Maybe the Canadiens, and certainly the Coyotes, had an opportunity to swap positions with the Flyers to grab an additional asset while still getting their guy.

Given the "Russian factor" and his contract status, this draft played out for Michkov as logically as can be expected. "2nd rated guy drops to #7!!!" isn't the story that some are trying to push.
thats the thing, if Michkov had told arizona and montreal he wasnt going to play for them, they could have easily traded back with the Flyers, danny said he tried to move up so Montreal must have wanted Reinbacher and thought either the Flyers were moving up to take him or Arizona would take him. If Reinbacher wasnt absolutely their guy they would have traded back I think.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
thats the thing, if Michkov had told arizona and montreal he wasnt going to play for them, they could have easily traded back with the Flyers, danny said he tried to move up so Montreal must have wanted Reinbacher and thought either the Flyers were moving up to take him or Arizona would take him. If Reinbacher wasnt absolutely their guy they would have traded back I think.
Clearly we did not want michkov (pain) and we were convinced arizona would take rein

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad