RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Ok lets deconstruct your fantasy

No money- in 2004 russian sports had good money. It was not the peak, late 2000s early 2010s were, but in 2004 salaries were good already, we are not talking about 1994

No arenas-Has nothing to do with the level of players in the league

No training grounds- They had the same training grounds that made USSR a hockey superpower dont be silly

Russian players chose to play in obscure leagues- Where? In NHL? Because there were no russians in SHL in 2004 and overall there was like less than 10 russians in top euro leagues

Number of NHL players higher than ever-wrong, number of players in 2004 was 63, in 2023 it was.........63 again!

Great training grounds and good pay are nice for players and their families, but it doesnt make the players better. Talent pool now is lower than in 2004, all this soviet workforce is gone

Solid junior leagues? And a horrible VHL with no promotion and age limit

It is funny, that to hype up new guys you have to disrespect soviet system and the 90s and 00s russian hockey which produced all this superstars while "modern" KHL produced Kaprizov. But muh new arenas! Muh MHL! Muh yellow ice is gone and we have HD!
All you need to know is look at the lockout season - the oligarchs spent a lot of cash to bring the stars to play in embarrassing conditions and pathetic arenas.

There’s a reason Russian hockey was a big mess up until 2008.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
it must be exhausting trying to convince the world Michkov is not a good prospect but youre very passionate about it
Strawman

All you need to know is look at the lockout season - the oligarchs spent a lot of cash to bring the stars to play in embarrassing conditions and pathetic arenas.

There’s a reason Russian hockey was a big mess up until 2008.
It was not a mess in terms of players quality both in NHL and in RSL

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I have never said that Michkov is a bad prospect or that he will be a bust. It never happened. What I have said is that his draft season was not as impressive as you would expect from a prospect of his hype and that KHL is not as good as some people want everyone to believe.

Instead of respectful exchange of opinions I only see ridiculous mocking attempts from a cult.

As I have said, in this times we have people who only want to hear some positive news. Anything that can be percieved as negative has to be erased. I mean, you cant make a point about RSL being better than the current KHL, this somehow is attack on Michkov!

So what is this thread? Should I only post praise for the great Michkov here? Should everyone only hail Michkov here? Can we make a thread where it is allowed to be neutral about Michkov and where it is Ok to try to be objective and where the praise happens when he does smth that deserves this praise?

Ps As I have said many times already, he is a phenom, and if he is back on his prodigy track this year I will confirm it without a problem. If you want to argue against my points, you are free to do it.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
No, it was an absolute mess hence the embarrassing results by mainly RSL teams in the WHC
No it wasnt, and you are disrespecting soviet/russian school here.

The most well known faiĺure of Russia was in 2000 with NHL heavy team that had an embarassing performance, while RSL team won silver in 2002

There are different reasons for russian bad performance in the 90s and early 00s, but it is not player quality

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
In case anyone wanted some balance to this thread, Michkov did have a blind pass giveaway in OT that led to a penalty on the ensuing breakaway for the other team. I don't think he played another shift in OT after. Still a problem with his game is just being a bit too...creative and risky with his play selection, especially up high.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
No it wasnt, and you are disrespecting soviet/russian school here.

The most well known faiĺure of Russia was in 2000 with NHL heavy team that had an embarassing performance, while RSL team won silver in 2002

There are different reasons for russian bad performance in the 90s and early 00s, but it is not player quality
The 2002 team was terrible and they were just extremely lucky to get through the round robin and a couple medal rounds. None of the Russian national teams in 2000s before the KHL inception had any sustainable success

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
In case anyone wanted some balance to this thread, Michkov did have a blind pass giveaway in OT that led to a penalty on the ensuing breakaway for the other team. I don't think he played another shift in OT after. Still a problem with his game is just being a bit too...creative and risky with his play selection, especially up high.
And no great player hasn’t had a give away. Michkov as a centre will prove to be at least the second best player in this draft. He may end up being the best. Teams, especially 5 and 6, who passed on him are going to be very regretful.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I had the same reaction.

The only player since Dahlin I've been hoping to keep out of the Metro. And that's because I think there's an avenue where Michkov keeps scoring goals at this historic rate in the NHL, and is the best player of his generation.

Like even with Bedard, I have little doubt he'll be very good. Anything is always possible, but none of those conspiracies people voice for Michkov come with him. He skates better and he plays center too. His floor is higher. However, he doesn't have such overwhelming gifts that I believe there's almost any chance he ends up the best player in the league. Yeah, the shot is great, but it's not Ovechkin-like. It's more like Stamkos. He'll score at a similar rate to injury-free Stamkos. And the playmaking is very good, but it's not too elite. I have little doubt he'll be like a top 10 player in the NHL, a little like Hughes. But those players exist league wide. You can't really be too worried about them, as good as they are.

The players you worry about are the players that have that true generational potential. His goal scoring instincts really worry me as a fan of a team in his division. I have a feeling he'll score like 50 career goals against my team for his career and be the best player in the league once McDavid is into his early/mid 30's. Just got the feeling this is how his career is going to unfold, although it's obviously no certainty for many reasons.
Man, you should worry about more players. For example you named Hughes. May be he will not win most Harts like McDavid, but he will ruin most expectations of rangers for something. Michkov will score a lot against rangers fo course, but for now flyers need more talented players to talk about overall dangerous power. Look at McDavid - Edmonton has almost everything, but still in steps from SC. You underestimate the talent of many individual hockey players too much and overestimate it at the same time.

And for now you are very low on Bedard. He is special too. And it`s more about hockey sence with him and Michkov than with their tools and physicality.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Man, you should worry about more players. For example you named Hughes. May be he will not win most Harts like McDavid, but he will ruin most expectations of rangers for something. Michkov will score a lot against rangers fo course, but for now flyers need more talented players to talk about overall dangerous power. Look at McDavid - Edmonton has almost everything, but still in steps from SC. You underestimate the talent of many individual hockey players too much and overestimate it at the same time.

And for now you are very low on Bedard. He is special too. And it`s more about hockey sence with him and Michkov than with their tools and physicality.
I agree with you that the Flyers need more than Michkov, but even with McDavid’s situation, I am confident he will win a Stanley Cup at some point. All the players of his level tend to win one eventually. Ovechkin eventually won a Cup. Crosby and Malkin won 3. Plenty of very good players never win one. I think McDavid is too good not too, but we’ll see.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I agree with you that the Flyers need more than Michkov, but even with McDavid’s situation, I am confident he will win a Stanley Cup at some point. All the players of his level tend to win one eventually. Ovechkin eventually won a Cup. Crosby and Malkin won 3. Plenty of very good players never win one. I think McDavid is too good not too, but we’ll see.
When we have 8 years of McDavid without Cup(and Ovechkin with more) we can say there are no magick, it`s only about manegement and luck. Of course Players of this level of talent helps a lot, but Mcdavid wasn`t really close, and Ovechkin wasn`t really close until he won it. And in case of Flyers, they have a big-big road ahead of them. Crosby could won nothing if pens would prefer Ladd or Wheeler over Malkin.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I have never said that Michkov is a bad prospect or that he will be a bust. It never happened. What I have said is that his draft season was not as impressive as you would expect from a prospect of his hype and that KHL is not as good as some people want everyone to believe.

Instead of respectful exchange of opinions I only see ridiculous mocking attempts from a cult.

As I have said, in this times we have people who only want to hear some positive news. Anything that can be percieved as negative has to be erased. I mean, you cant make a point about RSL being better than the current KHL, this somehow is attack on Michkov!

So what is this thread? Should I only post praise for the great Michkov here? Should everyone only hail Michkov here? Can we make a thread where it is allowed to be neutral about Michkov and where it is Ok to try to be objective and where the praise happens when he does smth that deserves this praise?

Ps As I have said many times already, he is a phenom, and if he is back on his prodigy track this year I will confirm it without a problem. If you want to argue against my points, you are free to do it.
Maybe stop posting shitty and wrong opinions that are easily refuted and debunked time and time again and you wouldn’t be crying so hard.

Also lol at you trying to play victim. Everyone gets your shtick here, you dont like Michkov and think hes a mid-mediocre at best prospect and you think the KHL is a shit league. Youre wrong but whatever. Youve made it clear multiple times and its gotten boring seeing how you try so hard at tearing down a legitimate prospect. You dont actually bring any sort of conversational value to this thread and havent for a while. Yawn.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Flyers deserve a superstar. The last one they had was Lindros, Giroux was pretty close though.
The Rangers had Lundqvist and now Panarin,
The Devils have Hughes
Pens have Crosby and Malkin.

Flyers are definitely up there are the deserve-O-Meter.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Maybe stop posting shitty and wrong opinions that are easily refuted and debunked time and time again and you wouldn’t be crying so hard.

Also lol at you trying to play victim. Everyone gets your shtick here, you dont like Michkov and think hes a mid-mediocre at best prospect and you think the KHL is a shit league. Youre wrong but whatever. Youve made it clear multiple times and its gotten boring seeing how you try so hard at tearing down a legitimate prospect. You dont actually bring any sort of conversational value to this thread and havent for a while. Yawn.
Lol, Yes, great example. Anything that is not 100% positive about a new shiny prospect is "hate"

Michkov is a good prospect, a phenom who before last season had a 1st overall level career. KHL is not a "shitty" league, it is in elite tier in Europe alongside with SHL and NL.
That is my opinion, and I have not posted anything else.

KHL is now worse than ever and is not better than RSL 20 years ago it is not even some controversy, it is literally mainstream, just because some homers on this board object doesnt make it different

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think that his season was quite strong in KHL, I'm not sure what the criticism's all about? It's still strong as a league.

If we're looking at Eeli Tolvanen's season, keep in mind that he was playing incredibly well to start that season, it was truly remarkable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad