RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

Interesting discussion as pre-draft I was very skeptical of historical KHL numbers being compared to this KHL. Felt like the analytics community was very behind on seeing the decline of the KHL.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
SKA is playing the Russian U23 squad tomorrow 12:30pm eastern but I had the time wrong the other day so if someone has a more reliable time feel free to correct me

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023

Interesting discussion as pre-draft I was very skeptical of historical KHL numbers being compared to this KHL. Felt like the analytics community was very behind on seeing the decline of the KHL.

Its hard to gauge where Michkov is relative to his age group right now because he's been playing pro for over a year now, and without Russia at the international tournaments theres no apples to apples comparisons to make so I dont put a ton of weight into Michkov's underlying metrics yet. I think its a positive thing that people have to dig so deep into the stats to find things that might suggest Michkov's not as good as people say, but it kinda feels like the author is just hedging his bets here. From last year to just these first few preseason games he's improved in almost every way. Its hard to say where his shot is right now because he's not focused on finding opportunities for himself, hes winning battles and finding teammates now, and hes adjusted so well to center that he's become an altogether different player, just as dangerous, but in ways that arent so heavily focused on his individual skill. Im not sure if thats something that can be interpreted by stats, but it shows a special kind of elite talent to be able to implement new ideas into your game so effortlessly. And im know im being a homer but he has looked INSANE at the Sochi Hockey Open, I think he's been under valued by everyone lol

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Michkov passed every international test with flying colors before the IIHF ban, and he's only improved as a prospect since then. While it's a shame he never got a FULL world juniors to showcase, I don't think some extra games there would make or break anything.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Its hard to gauge where Michkov is relative to his age group right now because he's been playing pro for over a year now, and without Russia at the international tournaments theres no apples to apples comparisons to make so I dont put a ton of weight into Michkov's underlying metrics yet. I think its a positive thing that people have to dig so deep into the stats to find things that might suggest Michkov's not as good as people say, but it kinda feels like the author is just hedging his bets here. From last year to just these first few preseason games he's improved in almost every way. Its hard to say where his shot is right now because he's not focused on finding opportunities for himself, hes winning battles and finding teammates now, and hes adjusted so well to center that he's become an altogether different player, just as dangerous, but in ways that arent so heavily focused on his individual skill. Im not sure if thats something that can be interpreted by stats, but it shows a special kind of elite talent to be able to implement new ideas into your game so effortlessly. And im know im being a homer but he has looked INSANE at the Sochi Hockey Open, I think he's been under valued by everyone lol
He is clearly a great prospect. I wasn't using this chart to disparage him. He has dominated. Just posting some dialogue on the KHL and its current climate as I feel that does weigh on the exact height Michkov should be at as a prospect. Is he like a Malkin, Ovechkin type impact prospect like his KHL numbers suggest? Or is the analytics community overvaluing his production in the KHL relative to historical trends.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Chicago got the best player in the 2023 NHL draft, but that's expected since Connor Bedard has been considered a general talent for a bunch of years now, but Philly got the steal of the draft in Matvei Michkov.
Imo the Russian factor is too much in play here, and Philadelphia got themselves a superstar talent 7th overall. A player who "should or will" prove to be back to the solidified 2nd overall prospect of the 23 draft.

Michkov is going to be a beauty at NHL level.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Chicago got the best player in the 2023 NHL draft, but that's expected since Connor Bedard has been considered a general talent for a bunch of years now, but Philly got the steal of the draft in Matvei Michkov.
Imo the Russian factor is too much in play here, and Philadelphia got themselves a superstar talent 7th overall. A player who "should or will" prove to be back to the solidified 2nd overall prospect of the 23 draft.

Michkov is going to be a beauty at NHL level.
The last time we saw them in an actual tournament together Michkov was just as good, if not better. He still can pass Bedard and it won’t surprise me one bit.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
He is clearly a great prospect. I wasn't using this chart to disparage him. He has dominated. Just posting some dialogue on the KHL and its current climate as I feel that does weigh on the exact height Michkov should be at as a prospect. Is he like a Malkin, Ovechkin type impact prospect like his KHL numbers suggest? Or is the analytics community overvaluing his production in the KHL relative to historical trends.
oh ya i wasnt suggesting you were trying to dump on him, i totally get what youre saying i was just talking about the tweet

Reactions: TLEH

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Michkov has the international stats to back it up. Furthermore, you don't need bad statistical models to know how good he is. It's all there to see with your eyes.
Exactly this. People mention how the KHL compares to other leagues or how it compares to what it was five years ago, but Michkov has been going to these international tournaments for years against older players and some of them he absolutely obliterates. That's just very uncommon, and it tends to be the players that end up stars in the NHL that also did those things. It's not to say there haven't been guys who've dominated these tournaments and not panned out, but if you look at what the best players of the past few eras did at these tournaments, it tends to be the same type of pattern where they play against older players and are still dominating the competition.

Good chance he is an Ovechkin or Malkin, but if not, it wouldn't be bad to settle for a Kucherov.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
KHL is still second best league and it’s better league now than it was in the time of Malkin and Ovechkin.
Advenced stats isnt a good thing to judge 17-19 yo players in pro leagues.
Michkov is nowhere overvalued. And his production too.

Reactions: Xirik

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The last time we saw them in an actual tournament together Michkov was just as good, if not better. He still can pass Bedard and it won’t surprise me one bit.
Read something about Michkov moving to centre. If he takes his elite skills, vision, and compete to centre he is going to be even more impressive. Definitely there will be teams (I’d say who drafted at five and six) kicking themselves for passing on him.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Read something about Michkov moving to centre. If he takes his elite skills, vision, and compete to centre he is going to be even more impressive. Definitely there will be teams (I’d say who drafted at five and six) kicking themselves for passing on him.
He has. You’d never know his goal scoring prowess watching him at center. Looks like a natural playmaking center out there

Reactions: tnfrs and Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He has. You’d never know his goal scoring prowess watching him at center. Looks like a natural playmaking center out there
After three years of further maturation and development as a centre he’s going to come into the Flyers’ lineup and be beyond what a lot of fans expect. I can see clubs taking the four centres ahead of him (Bedard, Carlson, Fantilli, Smith) but I don’t get Montreal and Arizona o pop adding him up for the D men they chose. It’s not like those D project to be Heiskanen or Makar. Sure, take those guys. They aren’t anywhere close to projecting to be the impact player Michkov will be, especially now he’s playing centre.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
KHL is still second best league and it’s better league now than it was in the time of Malkin and Ovechkin.
Advenced stats isnt a good thing to judge 17-19 yo players in pro leagues.
Michkov is nowhere overvalued. And his production too.
It’s really not better now. Not sure it’s the second best league anymore.

FrankSidebottom

Mar 16, 2021
That’s premature, there are still high quality players in the KHL plus I don’t know if they will give him a lot of ice time when SKA ices their full lineup
I personally think the KHL is getting a bit underrated now, but I’m not sure about the „high quality“ players. Quite a good depth and lots of promising guys, but I don’t see why even sheltered Michkov couldn’t be considered better than Slepyshev, Grigorenko, Mamin, Tkachev, ancient Radulov etc. I may have forgotten about Nikishin, then I fix myself to „the best forward”.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad