RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Imagine getting that kind of talent at 7th overall...
5 other team might be sorry
Yeah, we've had so much luck with Kakko and Lafreniere.
The NYR last drafted and developed a top 6 center a dozen years ago in JT Miller nothing since then except Chytil.

It's very hard to develop wingers if the team isn't strong at center both at the NHL level and in the system.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Indeed. Flyers are gonna need to suck bad this year. They need the Michkov-Demidov gimmick and to begin recreating some of that 90s Red Wings magic.
Atleast they are embracing the rebuild and not holding onto some poor false hope. Its sucks to see as a division rival but already having Gauthier and Michkov is a damn good start. The only thing that somewhat holds them back in terms of draft position is Torts. People may not like him but its kind of his thing to get more out of a weak roster than he should

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Atleast they are embracing the rebuild and not holding onto some poor false hope. Its sucks to see as a division rival but already having Gauthier and Michkov is a damn good start. The only thing that somewhat holds them back in terms of draft position is Torts. People may not like him but its kind of his thing to get more out of a weak roster than he should
I think they keep Torts for a little longer just for his ability to identify player's strengths and to help turn them from good hockey players to great athletes. I think hes just here to serve that purpose, basically whip them into shape. This season theyll start offloading some players that dont fit the timeline. I dont think theyre particularly excited for this draft class, at least not excited enough to tank and just implode everyones development, because we do have some players that are worth keeping. We haven't improved enough to finish any better this year even if everyone exceeds expectations. If we tank its going to be 2025, and its going to be because we have 7 or 8 rookies playing every night and we're just not there yet, not because we had a fire sale in the worst contract market in history. But i dont think Torts is still here to coach a team thats running 7 or 8 rookies every night, thats my take anyways because youre right about torts and this roster lol the good thing is Tort's isnt really Danny's guy he didnt hire him so hes probably expendable in the grand scheme and a good scape goat if the team does tank. Its the perfect crime.

Reactions: Guadana and Unger9

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think they keep Torts for a little longer just for his ability to identify player's strengths and to help turn them from good hockey players to great athletes. I think hes just here to serve that purpose, basically whip them into shape. This season theyll start offloading some players that dont fit the timeline. I dont think theyre particularly excited for this draft class, at least not excited enough to tank and just implode everyones development, because we do have some players that are worth keeping. We haven't improved enough to finish any better this year even if everyone exceeds expectations. If we tank its going to be 2025, and its going to be because we have 7 or 8 rookies playing every night and we're just not there yet, not because we had a fire sale in the worst contract market in history. But i dont think Torts is still here to coach a team thats running 7 or 8 rookies every night, thats my take anyways because youre right about torts and this roster lol the good thing is Tort's isnt really Danny's guy he didnt hire him so hes probably expendable in the grand scheme and a good scape goat if the team does tank. Its the perfect crime.
Columbus had the same thought. Have Torts change the culture and attitude but then most of the roster left via free agency and trade so a lot of what Torts fixed was lost. Maybe it will line up better for Philly. I always said in Columbus Torts was the perfect guy to lay the groundwork for an organization but questioned if hes the guy to get you over the final hump. Philly already saw it. I know some fans hated the style he had them play but they lost Giroux and Atkinson while adding DeAngelo and finished with 14 more points than the season before.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Columbus had the same thought. Have Torts change the culture and attitude but then most of the roster left via free agency and trade so a lot of what Torts fixed was lost. Maybe it will line up better for Philly. I always said in Columbus Torts was the perfect guy to lay the groundwork for an organization but questioned if hes the guy to get you over the final hump. Philly already saw it. I know some fans hated the style he had them play but they lost Giroux and Atkinson while adding DeAngelo and finished with 14 more points than the season before.
I havent followed many teams outside of Philly so I only know bits and pieces of his time with other teams, but i think this team had a problem with guys who were just happy to get paid and didnt really want to win so they half assed their training in the off season, spent most of the year out of shape, and then wanted the summer off again. if he cant turn that around we're kinda effed anyways, I think thats the culture part they talk about, i dont think its bad attitudes that didnt get along I think its some players just didnt care about winning anymore or wanted it to be easier

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The only thing that somewhat holds them back in terms of draft position is Torts. People may not like him but its kind of his thing to get more out of a weak roster than he should
This is absolutely true and it was apparent last season. The Flyers won 6-7 games more than they should have solely due to Torts being willing to torture his players to get more wins. This season, management needs to remove that possibility altogether imho. A healthy Couturier and Atkinson, plus an extra year of growth from the kids, could actually backfire and take the Flyers out of the running for a Top-3 pick, which they absolutely need.

I think Briere should still be looking into deals for Konecny, Hart, Sanheim, and even Atkinson and Coots (if he can prove to be healthy). The Flyers need to be absolutely brutal -- like late-80s Nordiques brutal -- for the next 2 seasons until Michkov is ready. They need to draft Top-3 in the next two drafts and deal any and all tradeable assets for more picks or decent prospects.

If the Flyers could debut Michkov and another elite pick in 2 years, along with Gauthier and another Top-3 pick, they will be well on their way to something very nice. Especially if they could turn Hart and Konecny into top, young assets who are better suited for the new timetable. I think Kolosov is going to be the Flyers next high-end goalie and he's 3 years away really.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
This is absolutely true and it was apparent last season. The Flyers won 6-7 games more than they should have solely due to Torts being willing to torture his players to get more wins. This season, management needs to remove that possibility altogether imho. A healthy Couturier and Atkinson, plus an extra year of growth from the kids, could actually backfire and take the Flyers out of the running for a Top-3 pick, which they absolutely need.

I think Briere should still be looking into deals for Konecny, Hart, Sanheim, and even Atkinson and Coots (if he can prove to be healthy). The Flyers need to be absolutely brutal -- like late-80s Nordiques brutal -- for the next 2 seasons until Michkov is ready. They need to draft Top-3 in the next two drafts and deal any and all tradeable assets for more picks or decent prospects.

If the Flyers could debut Michkov and another elite pick in 2 years, along with Gauthier and another Top-3 pick, they will be well on their way to something very nice. Especially if they could turn Hart and Konecny into top, young assets who are better suited for the new timetable. I think Kolosov is going to be the Flyers next high-end goalie and he's 3 years away really.
Thats what I see happening, but we can still play well and lose every game if we move the right people this year, Dannys not in the hot seat for his job but some GMs will be and then we can clean their closet, Dannys gonna find us a Chuck Fletcher

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Only when they wear the same sweater, chief

If you have supporting fans from different fan base, Devils fans is a big part. Be classy, pay respect to devils core and wait for great battles between them and future flyers core. History of hockey isn't great without good opponent.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
If you have supporting fans from different fan base, Devils fans is a big part. Be classy, pay respect to devils core and wait for great battles between them and future flyers core. History of hockey isn't great without good opponent.
??? did you miss the joke or is this meant as a general statement? what are you talking about here?

• Haha
Reactions: Bone Density

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
i got the time wrong, the games on right now. 1st period just ended SKA up 4-1 idk if Michkov's put up points but he probably has 5 already

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
i got the time wrong, the games on right now. 1st period just ended SKA up 4-1 idk if Michkov's put up points but he probably has 5 already
Not sure if he assisted on gritsyuk’s goal, but he was out there when it happened. Think demidov assisted for sure.

Edit: yeah he got a secondary assist

Reactions: tnfrs

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
How are North Americans watching the KHL? Saw this kid live at U18s and he is worth the hype.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
How are North Americans watching the KHL? Saw this kid live at U18s and he is worth the hype.
i have a friend in russia who points his webcam at the TV for me.
SKA just cant play with a lead lol 4-4 now, Michkov needs to go hero mode

i use a streaming site

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
All the preseason games being streamed

I’m loving what I see from Demidov. Assuming Chicago will have another high pick, hoping we can nab him.
That line with michkov and gritsyuk is their best for my money. Rarely on the ice for a goal against and constantly making pretty plays for scoring chances.

They’re going to put up serious points this year

And like that pp goal for gritsyuk with michkov assist

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Sweet sweet music

Michkov just creates so many scoring chances where other teams have to take penalties.

Looks like a serious playmaker at center. He’s so good

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023

Sweet sweet music

he finds teammates so easily its crazy, every time he has the puck something happens. and he has the puck alot more as a center. he's drawn a couple penalties this period now just winning battles. his playmaking is on display but he hasnt had as many of his own scoring chances this game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad